Esteemed colleagues,

I have been using Curves for about six months and love them. However, I've been struggling with having to choose between wifi and GPS.

So, I just ordered an 8820. We'll see how it goes, but I'd love to hear from you regarding your experiences and your perceptions of the pros and cons.

If you previously owned a Curve, would you go back? Are you tempted by a camera, of all things? Do you prefer the larger form factor? How's battery life? Is black really all that great? Any recommended cases and/or accessories that you love? Do you look down your collective noses at the Curve Carriers and Pearl Pansies?

Just wondering........and anxiously awaiting next Mon/Tue. Feel free to expound on this thread, I'd love to hear any and all experiences.

Thanks,
    -Eric

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-08 09:57 PM
    well im waiting for the curve because i like the camera and hate the pearls small keyboard

02-22-08 10:09 PM
    The only differences between the Curve series and the 8800 series is the camera and the keyboard (form factor), other than that, they perform the same. I guess the only thing to decide or how to choose one over the other is do you want a camera and/or which keyboard do you feel comfortable with?
    02-22-08 11:21 PM
    For me it is the Curve 8310 all the way. Love the gps, I have a bb plan so I don't really miss the wifi
    02-22-08 11:26 PM
    See this is tough for me, I love the Curve but I love the pearl about the same, sometimes a little more. Suretype isn't a problem for me. Its just so darn tough!
    02-22-08 11:26 PM
    If you get a model that has wifi, you can easily just add a GPS puck. Where as if you get a model with GPS, there isn't an easy way to add wifi.
    02-22-08 11:30 PM
    I have the 8820 and I'm not too impressed with the wi-fi. I still really like my 8820 but if I already had the Curve, then I would have just kept that instead of upgrading.

02-22-08 11:35 PM
    I've never owned a Curve so I don't really know if I'd prefer the Curve over the 8830, but I can tell you that I love the 8830 form factor, I don't need a camera, I have GPS but I prefer my Garmin nuvi, phone side works great, it tethers to my laptop and I totally enjoy my phone.

In this case, black is beautiful but I keep my 8830 in a black silicone skin and carry it in a Seidio side case that will carry a naked as well as a skinned Blackberry. Hope this helps.
    02-23-08 12:53 AM
    I purchased a gps puck for my 8320, and now I have the best of both worlds I love my curve its like a family member.
    02-23-08 01:34 AM
    I purchased a gps puck for my 8320, and now I have the best of both worlds I love my curve its like a family member.

I feel the same ways about my Curve!!!
    02-23-08 02:55 AM
    Hmmm..... I'm not feeling much love for the 88xx series. I'll have to check it out when it arrives, but if the 8820 doesn't trip my trigger then it'll either head back to ATT or to the 'bay. At the moment I have four Curves, 2x8320 and 2x8310. I've considered a GPSpuck, but don't know if I want to shell out for such a device I don't use very often.

If I sound conflicted, it's because I am. Thanks for all the input thus far!

-Eric

02-23-08 04:56 AM
    Esteemed colleagues,

I have been using Curves for about six months and love them. However, I've been struggling with having to choose between wifi and GPS.

So, I just ordered an 8820. We'll see how it goes, but I'd love to hear from you regarding your experiences and your perceptions of the pros and cons.

If you previously owned a Curve, would you go back? Are you tempted by a camera, of all things? Do you prefer the larger form factor? How's battery life? Is black really all that great? Any recommended cases and/or accessories that you love? Do you look down your collective noses at the Curve Carriers and Pearl Pansies?

Just wondering........and anxiously awaiting next Mon/Tue. Feel free to expound on this thread, I'd love to hear any and all experiences.

Thanks,
    -Eric

LOL, well, actually, yes, black IS all that great--but then BEING black, I'm probably biased.....Sorry, I know that is not what you meant, it's early, and I couldn't resist....
    02-23-08 06:21 AM
    I don't wish I got a Curve. I like the size, shape and feel of my 88 and I don't need a camera.
    02-23-08 08:35 AM
    I also like my keyboard. Curve's is too phone-like for me.
    02-23-08 09:14 AM
    LOL, well, actually, yes, black IS all that great--but then BEING black, I'm probably biased.....Sorry, I know that is not what you meant, it's early, and I couldn't resist....
    Heh, some black 'n crack [berry]?

Thanks for all the comments thus far. A few points I consider relevant;

1) I guess I'm thinking of the 83xx ==> 8820 to be a bit of cross-grading rather than upgrading. Seems ATT thinks the 88 series is an upgrade (check the prices!), but if you look at the actual secondary market on the 'bay, the 88xx goes for about the same as the 8320. Go figure.

2) Several of you have mentioned the keyboard differences between Curve and 88xx. I'm discounting the Pearl here since SureType is a whole different beast; not necessarily a bad thing, just different. Brilliant implementation of what it is, IMHO.
    Anyway, I have heard people who prefer the 88 keyboard and some who prefer the 83 keyboard. Does it just boil down to personal preference, or are there specific advantages? For example, I have big hands (read: large thumbs), yet I don't have any real issues typing on the 8310 or 8320. Sometimes I do fat-finger the thing, but it's relatively rare. In case you can't tell from my posting via the WAPForums, I don't have any problems with rather long paragraphs, etc.
    Sooo.....on to the keyboard topic. Do you have big hands and love it? Small hands and hate it? Vice versa?

3) Do you consider the 88xx superior to the 83xx? I guess in this one I'm looking for build quality issues. Since the 88xx is theoretically geared more towards the "business" user, I would think if anything it's built better than the 83xx. Then again, I don't really have any build quality problems with the 83xx.

Talk amongst yourselves, and thanks again for the discussion! It's quite informative.

-Eric
    02-23-08 09:33 AM
    I gave up on my 2 month old 8310. I boxed it up and ordered the 8820 I use now and haven't looked back. IMO, the 8310 is a ******** toy. It feels cheaply built, especially with that whole dust issue it suffers from. Although the 8820 comes with WI-FI I never use, it just feels solid! I have big hands, so its keyboard is actually a lot easier for me to type on.

The whole black thing, yea its great. The thing screams "business" and "professionalism." It is one classy looking device. It pretty much functions the same as the Curve but overall just feels a lot sturdier.

It doesn't surprise me that the Curve series has had a lot of issues in terms of build quality. Like I said, it feels like a cheap toy. No wonder this thing is aimed at the consumer market. Just my .02 cents. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed

02-23-08 10:43 AM
    I have an 8800 and love it. My roomate has the curve and i like it, but only for a coulple of reasons, like the media player and the option for stereo bluetooth. but i have read that those are coming to us via a OS update. i cant wait!
    02-23-08 11:03 AM
    I bought a Curve thinking I could live with the keyboard but I couldn't. The night I took it home my wife knew I would be getting an 8820. I am very new to Blackberries so my opinion doesn't mean much I guess. But I agree with the poster above the 8820 just feels more soild in my hands. I am a little for the lack of a better word anal about certain things and these 2 berries feel into that pitfall of mine

Try both and you will know which you like.

David W.
    02-23-08 12:48 PM
    I bought the 8800 without even considering the Curve, but when I finally did try out a Curve at the store, I didn't like the way the keyboard felt. The phone is smaller than the 8800 and for my hand size, it just wouldn't work.
    I don't really need a camera on my phone so I have been more than happy with my 8800.
    02-24-08 01:15 PM
    Speed when you can pick up a wifi connection. I BB at home quite a bit, and it's looking like the wifi may serve me well.

02-26-08 12:40 AM
    I have a 8800 (Cingular). Are there any differences from the Cingular branded Blackberries -vs- the AT&T Blackberries?

I have thought about getting a curve (don't have a reason to fork out the money if my 8800 is just as good). Don't get me wrong, I love the 8800. It was a major upgrade from the regular Blackberry, 7290. I have no reason for the wi-fi other than battery drainage.

I talked on my 8800 last night to my dad. I had 100% battery power. I talked for four and one half hours and only dropped to 60%. I think that alone should be enough reason to NOT get rid of the 8800. Only supposed to have 5hrs of talk time. I had 4 hours with 60% power remaing. In essence I could have had an additional 5 hours of talk time.

I at this time have no reason to swap out other than "wanting" to get one.

Those who did swap, like the forum mentioned, are you glad you did?

Do you like anyhting in the curve better than the 88xx or visa-versa?

Those who had the Curve and swithced to a 88xx model, are you glad you did? Do you wish you had the Curve back? If you do, why? Do you miss the keyboard, GPS, Camera. Anything on the 83xx different form the 88xx other than form factor and above mentioned?

Thanks

msblueline
    03-07-08 12:18 PM
    I had the Curve for a good couple of months before I switched to my 8800...The main reason I switched (and this is going to sound stupid) is because to me the Curve was a little on the feminine side. Also...I wasn't a big fan of the keyboard. I like how the 8800 is a little bit bulkier (even though it's still a slim form factor. The only thing I do miss though, is the media player on the Curve...the media player interface on the 8800 is pretty poor...and I missed having a 3.5mm headphone jack...and the Camera would have been convenient at some times.

But would I switch back? Hellz no! I'd rather have an 8700 before I get a curve! No offense to Curve Owners...still a good machine...just not for me.
    03-08-08 04:24 PM
    I love my 8820, and have no issues with the WiFi (unlike someone above).

I use the GPS all the time, and while I really didn't want a camera (they are never that good), what I do wish is that my Olympus digital had Bluetooth so I could send pictures to my BB and then be able to use GPSed!

I'm new to BB's, and the curves look nice too, but I like the darker look of the 8800's and would only get a curve if it had native GPS. I mean who wants to have to look for your puck? (I'm assuming it's a second device).

I just love being able to use my WiFi at home (faster than EDGE) and be able to take the web with me whereever.

Patrick
    03-09-08 12:05 AM
    Well I have to say...that was funny . It is not that I have an issue with the wifi, it's just that when it comes to phones I get some-timers disease. I only use wifi when I think about it, which is seldom (some-timers) and when I do think about and turn it on, I forget (some-timers) to turn it off, hense the battery drainage. Then when thinking I will have a full battery for the day, (it is constantly searching for a wifi connection) realize my battery is depleting rapidly. I am sure many of you have found yourselves in the creek without a paddle, realizing, either you forgot your charger or your are in a place that you cannot escape to charge your battery. When I do Finaly think to turn off the wifi...well too late, the damage is done. The battery has reaped to the no return zone of constant depletion and begging for a charge. If my battery dies and I have to leave it on charge and cannot use my Blackberry... I will cry . I want to be able to use it at all times, even when I am not supposed to (hehe, that's what vibrate is for ). I want to know when my e-mails come in.

It has never failed, I have left Blackberry many times...and in the end, I have returned to it. So in the end, it is not really the wifi itself that is at fault but rather me that is faulted...for my disease that we all get so often (some-timers).

This has really helped make my mind up. I will NOT be getting a curve, but rather will hold on to my dear 8800 that I have come to enjoy and admire so much... thanks to this website --> Crackberry.com.

Thank you,

msblueline
    03-09-08 10:26 AM
    I bought the 8300 and then used the 8800.
    My 8300 got dust under the right side of the screen after abt 2 months. This is my only complaint.
    The 8800 is quite sturdy but also heavier than the 8300. Holding the two you feel the difference.
    I prefer the Curve for the camera and its size and weight.
    If I wanted a BB without the camera I would stick with the 8800

03-09-08 11:20 AM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD