I'm debating downloading a newer version of 4.5 but there is all sorts of talk on the other BB that the 4.6 or later is about to appear.

Any word on whether it will be coming to the 8820 too?
    09-15-09 10:03 PM
    Not sure if 4.6 is gonna come to 8820 before the end of the year. My guess is probably not, but then again, I'm not really in the know, just a speculator. I would love to have a 4.6.X OS for my 8820, but sadly, I think I'll just have to wait for the 9700 to drop, pick that up and then update the 8820 whenever updates start rolling out.

Of course, if 4.6.x gets out before the end of the year, you know I'll fire it up

Until then, I'm just going to keep chugging along with .162 ...which isn't bad after awhile.
    09-18-09 12:55 PM
    Okay, well, I just did a search for hybrid OS and it seems there is a hybrid 5.0 for 8820 now available. You can try that out while you wait for official releases to come down the pipe.
    09-18-09 01:22 PM
    Its clear to me that us, hardcore 88xx users didn't really see RIM's previous offerings as upgrades to our formidable 88xx. Looks like the 9700 is the only thing that supposedly will be good enough to replace our 88xx.

Anyone who's tried the hybrid OS could tell me how much free memory will I have after uploading it to my 8820?

Thx for the info guys. Glad to see that I'm not the only one still clinging to the old 88xx coz I don't think the Bold nor 8900 and. even Tour as a worthy enough upgrade to my 8820.

Cheers
    09-18-09 11:30 PM
    Running 4.5.0.162 (After Shrink-A-OS) with all my apps I had ~10MB

Running 4.5.0.162 + 5.0.0.100 (After Shrink-A-OS) with all my apps I have ~16MB What the what?? Hella awesome.

So, umm, yeah...it was totally worth it to me I don't know if there is too much more space left to squeeze out, but if there is, I'll keep squeezing. And the space is just the beginning, too. That's the best part is that there's more. My browser is faster. My Wi-Fi connections are friggin' rock solid where with just .162 by itself I kept having Cell and Wi-Fi fights and dropping each other and never connecting to websites. Now, nuh-uh. That's gone. So far the only drawback is that there's no way to run the Wi-Fi setup tool, but if you get all your regular networks setup before and then go, they still connect, so that's a pretty good thing IMHO.

...All of this isn't to say that when the Onyx comes out that I'm gonna ditch the 8820. No way. I love this thing, so I'll probably be rockin' the 8820 and the 9700.
    09-19-09 09:03 AM
    Its clear to me that us, hardcore 88xx users didn't really see RIM's previous offerings as upgrades to our formidable 88xx. Looks like the 9700 is the only thing that supposedly will be good enough to replace our 88xx.

Anyone who's tried the hybrid OS could tell me how much free memory will I have after uploading it to my 8820?

Thx for the info guys. Glad to see that I'm not the only one still clinging to the old 88xx coz I don't think the Bold nor 8900 and. even Tour as a worthy enough upgrade to my 8820.

Cheers
    I still wish I could of kept my 8820 but I needed the additional memory, 6x more, that the 8900 has. I still think the 8820 is the best but no matter the os it will still not have the memory I need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 12:07 PM
    I'm feelin yer pain. Yes it's such a shame that the 88xx has only 64Megs of memory.
    Hipothetically speaking, if RIM released a newer version of the same 88xx form factor, only with more memory, I'd be totally sold!

Of all the newer RIM offerings, Which one do u guys think has the closest keyboard feel to the 88xx?

8900's keyboard certainly didn't work for me.
    09-20-09 08:06 PM
    6 MB memory boost epeter1? Whoa that's a **** of a boost! Will the hybrid works with most of the appas and themes?
    09-20-09 08:14 PM
    I haven't had any problems with my apps or themes. �berTwitter, Pandora, World Mate, Google etc. They all run just like normal.
    09-21-09 07:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD