Is there any way to share the tethered modem internet connection between multiple PCs? I'm getting another PC for the wife and would like to avoid having to pay for another internet account just for that.

Typcially with a cable or DSL modem you can bring in the modem connection on a router WAN port using ethernet. Not sure how you would accomplish the same thing with the 8830 tethered modem.
    03-24-08 12:50 PM
    Would you both always be Online at same time?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 01:22 PM
    If you set up tethering as a Dial up Network as opposed to using Sprint or Verizon Wireless Connection Manner, you can share it using MS Microsoft Internet Sharing.
    03-24-08 01:39 PM
    Yes, it is desired that both PCs be online at the same time.

Someone had mentioned Windows "Internet Connection Sharing" might allow this to be accomplished. What I am trying to do is connect the BB to my primary PC and then somehow use wifi to reach a second PC. Not sure how I would connect a wifi router to the PC in this situation. It seems logical that it would connect to the WAN port via ethernet but not sure is the PC would operate properly to service that WAN port.
    03-24-08 01:41 PM
    You would tether the BB to the Primary PC, use internet connection sharing and share teh BB Internet Connection with the WIFI connection. Then have the WIFI connection either ADHoced to the Router, or use a direct PC to PC WIFI connection between the primary PC and the Wifes PC. Or for that matter if you have the Router near the primary PC< share the connection with the hardwired connection, and connect to the router that way. It will take some manual Gateway settings in the Router to make teh new PC auto connect. But it can be done.
    Last edited by bmtbandit; 03-24-08 at 01:46 PM.
    03-24-08 01:44 PM
    Thanks bmtbandit ... I think I understand enough of what you suggested to go try some things.
    03-24-08 02:15 PM
    The CradlePoint Cellular Travel Router CTR-350 EVDO / HSDPA Router creates a Secure WiFi Hotspot from broadband-enabled cellular phones and modems. Enjoy the simplicity and convenience of WiFi without having to search around for a hotspot and without risking a non-secure connection.

3gstore.com
    03-24-08 03:08 PM
    I have the CTR-350, and I am currently not able to get it to establish a connection via my BB8100 Pearl on att network.

I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere to say that this has ever been done.

I have a Verizon UM150 USB dongle, however I would love to do away with the extra device and the extra bill every month and just get the cradlepoint to dial out via my BB.

Any suggestions?
    11-09-08 10:14 PM
    The MS implementation of Internet Connection Sharing is stinky and you may or may not get it to work successfully. There are a few third party thingies out there that help do the same thing but you may not like the speed of your connection if two are sharing it at the same time.
    11-10-08 01:28 PM
    Have fun with the overage charges. Share a REAL broadband connection, not a cellular one. That's not what it's meant for. You'll most likely hit the montly cap and go over. Enjoy.
    11-10-08 04:11 PM
    I have the CTR-350, and I am currently not able to get it to establish a connection via my BB8100 Pearl on att network.

I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere to say that this has ever been done.

I have a Verizon UM150 USB dongle, however I would love to do away with the extra device and the extra bill every month and just get the cradlepoint to dial out via my BB.

Any suggestions?
    I have spoken to Cradlepoint and it turns out that the CTR-350 is not compatible with the BB Pearl that I have. They did say that older blackberry models have had varying levels of success though, so it's still an option. A list of compatible devices can be found at CradlePoint Technology

Have fun with the overage charges. Share a REAL broadband connection, not a cellular one. That's not what it's meant for. You'll most likely hit the montly cap and go over. Enjoy.
    Wow man, thanks for the positive attitude and helpful words… Some of us don’t have the luxury of being able to have “REAL broadband connections” and are here looking for help to solve our problems, isn’t that what this is supposed to be all about?
    Last edited by todbanner; 11-10-08 at 05:08 PM.
    11-10-08 05:03 PM
    Wow man, thanks for the positive attitude and helpful words� Some of us don�t have the luxury of being able to have �REAL broadband connections� and are here looking for help to solve our problems, isn�t that what this is supposed to be all about?
    Don't get your panties in a wad there Buckaroo Banzai. My post was intended for the OP who apperently thought it might be a good idea to share his cap'd (and very expensive if you go over) cell based broadband connection with the entire family, not you who just wants to tether from your Pearl when needed and do away with a PC card.

I'm here to help, but if I blindly tell you how to tether your BB and share the connection with the world, I find it just a bit against my ethics to not tell you that you'll get cornholed by your carrier by busting over your caps with the quickness. Perhaps you've never read the horror stories of the $25k overage bills that some carriers seem to think is a good idea to send to their customers for accidental (read moron) use of their technologies. If you think you need to be tight now and consolidate your bills to save money, imagine how you'll feel when you get that wop of a bill.

Bottom line, while it doesn't apply to all of you, my post adds to the conversation as a standing warning to those of you who just for the sake of argument "might not be aware of certain things".
    11-10-08 10:51 PM
    Don't get your panties in a wad there Buckaroo Banzai. My post was intended for the OP who apperently thought it might be a good idea to share his cap'd (and very expensive if you go over) cell based broadband connection with the entire family, not you who just wants to tether from your Pearl when needed and do away with a PC card.

I'm here to help, but if I blindly tell you how to tether your BB and share the connection with the world, I find it just a bit against my ethics to not tell you that you'll get cornholed by your carrier by busting over your caps with the quickness. Perhaps you've never read the horror stories of the $25k overage bills that some carriers seem to think is a good idea to send to their customers for accidental (read moron) use of their technologies. If you think you need to be tight now and consolidate your bills to save money, imagine how you'll feel when you get that wop of a bill.

Bottom line, while it doesn't apply to all of you, my post adds to the conversation as a standing warning to those of you who just for the sake of argument "might not be aware of certain things".
    noted. my apologies for jumping the gun there. i was just a little pissy to find out that i couldnt use my technology the way i wanted to that day

thanks for being helpful, and not tearing me a new one for being pissy.

-banner
    Last edited by todbanner; 11-12-08 at 12:57 AM. Reason: i cant spell
    11-12-08 12:56 AM
    I second the motion: sharing a tethered Rev. 0 connection would be like watching paint peel. It would be painfully slow.

Back in the day I shared a 28.8 modem connection with 2 PC's, then a 56K modem with 3 PC's, lol, then dual (shotgun) 56K modems in one PC, then ISDN, then one-way satellite, then two-way satellite, then DSL, now a 15 MB cable connection (finally, lol). Ok, enough back story. Just reminiscing a bit.

I have tethered my VZW 8330 on my laptop, and while it's better than nothing, I sure wouldn't want to share it. In the real world I was getting 400 to 500 KB/s down and 120ish up. Great when you're in the middle of nowhere and need Internet, but at home? Uh-uh.

And like JRSCCivic98 said, if you do it, you need to watch your data usage like a hawk, because it would be very easy to go over the 5 GB limit in one month on two computers.

You might try something like DSL Extreme that Leo Laporte keeps recommending for $14.99/mo, or something similar if you are pinching pennies. But then again, with a BB and 2 PC's, you "aint po folk"
    11-12-08 08:47 AM
    ... and then some of us live at the "end of the line" and don't have any options other than dialup (arrrgh), satellite (can you say "Fair Use Policy"?) or cellular.

Most days I will use the bb over the dialup and it's usually twice as fast though that's not really saying much. I would never consider trying to share something that's already painfully slow.
    11-12-08 09:48 AM
    I have found it very useful to hook up/tether my blackberry to a laptop and then share the connection manually with another laptop. I've a bit of a different need for this than most. When I go on family vacation we take long motorhome trips. This often means hours and hours on the road with the family while I'm driving.

Having one laptop with a tethered connection - and sharing it, is a WONDERFUL way to keep everyone busy. My kids can use their Ipod touches and two kids can use different laptops. The connections isn't a 6MB cable connection but it's certainly useable for everyone. We find that everyone isn't using the connection 100% of the time anyway. They download pages or facebook info or grab small bursts of streaming media and then the others do the same.

Two recommendations. A real geek can, I suppose, hard configure all of their devices to talk to the ad-hoc peer to peer network. I did that for a while then found a much better way. I bought a dlink pocket router DWL-G730AP. One of these inexpensive little "pocket routers" solves a bunch of issues and works great when I travel to make "wired" hotel connections wireless for the family as well!

They are AWESOME. I use the USB power to power the router plugged into the laptop with the wired connection and set the switch for router mode so everyone can connect. It works great. As a bonus if we ever get somewhere that we really HAVE a good broadband internet connection (hotel, cousin's house etc) nothing needs to change. Just unplug the pocket router from the tethered laptop and plug the cable into a wired internet connection or router port and everyone's still good to go!

just an fyi... With this configuration you only have to set ONE IP address - the wired port on your laptop that is being shared..
    04-22-10 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD