I have an 8830 Verizon edition and need to enable Wi-Fi. Anybody know how do to it??? The selection isn't even there.....
    05-27-08 12:44 PM
    No verizon blackberry has wifi. Only model numbers ending in 20 have it (ex 8820). I wish they had it too.
    05-27-08 01:26 PM
    Yeah sorry, no way to add wifi to a BB that doesn't have it.
    05-27-08 01:27 PM
    Yep your out of luck on that one buddy.
    05-27-08 01:28 PM
    CDMA BlackBerries do not have Wi-Fi...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-08 01:29 PM
    CDMA BlackBerries do not have Wi-Fi...
    x Eleventybillion!!!
    05-27-08 03:01 PM
    if the 8310 doesnt have wifi then why is it when i go into the event log i see that it says that it failed to load wifi signal if it doesnt support it? And if it is on it then rim has disabled it is there any mod or cod files that you can change to enable that?

here is what it shows in my event log:
    W System - PME12: Failed to load: x-object:/WifiSignalLevel?width=32&height=15align=center
    06-05-08 03:36 PM
    if the 8310 doesnt have wifi then why is it when i go into the event log i see that it says that it failed to load wifi signal if it doesnt support it? And if it is on it then rim has disabled it is there any mod or cod files that you can change to enable that?

here is what it shows in my event log:
    W System - PME12: Failed to load: x-object:/WifiSignalLevel?width=32&height=15align=center

That's the "WiFi Signal Level" indicator in the active theme. Since you don't have WiFi, the theme engine cannot load that icon, so you get that log error. Have a nice day.
    06-05-08 03:45 PM
    Charityblue, the question and answers are pertaining to the 8830. How does the 8310 enter here? We're talking about Apples and Oranges here.

06-06-08 07:53 AM
    because basically they are running on the same operating system so that is not an issue and the only difference is the look and carrier related options. Also i was asking if there was any way to go into the operating system and enable it somehow, similar to how you can remove the preloaded images and things on the phone.
    06-15-08 01:33 PM
    I know this is going to be a hard concept to understand, but in order for software to do anything.... wait for it.... the hardware for such a function MUST be present, which sadly it's not.

Only select models of Blackberry HAVE WiFi hardware in them. NOT ALL OF THEM DO! They are not disabled, they simply don't have the hardware to do it. Is it clear now?
    06-15-08 09:05 PM
    i guess the reason everyone kept posting wifi requests is that we were holding onto HOPE that our blackberry 8330 had wifi and evil verizon (which blocks gps functionality on most phones so you have to pay for it) had done something evil with RIMM to disable the wifi feature that we see people on other networks with nearly the same model curve having.

It was hope, not stupidity or bullheadedness. People were HOPING there was a crack... This is crackberry.com after all...
    12-22-08 02:30 PM
    It was hope, not stupidity or bullheadedness. People were HOPING there was a crack... This is crackberry.com after all...
    No, it IS stupidity! One need only look at a spec sheet and see there is no WiFi hardware in any xx30 model Blackberry.
    12-22-08 03:18 PM
    I know this is going to be a hard concept to understand, but in order for software to do anything.... wait for it.... the hardware for such a function MUST be present, which sadly it's not.

Only select models of Blackberry HAVE WiFi hardware in them. NOT ALL OF THEM DO! They are not disabled, they simply don't have the hardware to do it. Is it clear now?

VERY House-like...LOL

(*claps*) Good answer, good answer...
    12-23-08 12:29 AM
    Hi guys I'm new, just got my 1st Crackberry yesterday, an 8330 Curve....

So, a stupid question, since I was in a hurry when I made the decision on this phone - and it wouldn't have been a deal-killer anyway - but -

Assuming the phones use a similar architecture, and the software still looks for a WiFi signal, is it possible for somebody to salvage/purchase a WiFi unit from another Crackberry (or from RIM directly), and with some basic soldering skills, install it inside one's unit? Or, was the form factor designed with the intent to never have these devices WiFi enabled?

Thanks!
    02-08-09 06:34 PM
    because basically they are running on the same operating system so that is not an issue and the only difference is the look and carrier related options. Also i was asking if there was any way to go into the operating system and enable it somehow, similar to how you can remove the preloaded images and things on the phone.
    I work on BB's and am studying for certification that is equivalent to CompTIA's A+ certification and yes there is a way, well at least there was. That is to obtain an OS version from a carrier such as T-Mobile that supports Wi-Fi and Blackberry Desktop Manager would need some hacking since it is going to tell you that you have the wrong software. A work around is to have an older version on the manager (about two years old). ALL current Blackberry motherboards have a Wi-Fi radio built in.

Obviously your carrier would be very unhappy with you. And as far as Wi-Fi mobile calling goes, the carrier has to be set up for that.
    01-23-10 03:35 AM
    I can vouch that my 8530 (verizon) has WiFi capabilities. After activating my phone, there was a glitch in their data system that prevented my phone from being registered on the blackberry network. during this time, the only data connection I had was WiFi.

One day later... Verizon manually updated my phone in their system to get me on the blackberry network and enterprise server, and then poof! WiFi was gone. Not even an option anymore...

So... WiFi IS possible on Verizon phones, but Verizon chooses to deactivate it.

STUPID VERIZON. Why the **** do they cut off the damn functions of their phone? Like GPS on the older curves?
    04-29-10 09:39 AM
    The 8530 has wifi capability as you correctly stated. The 8830 does not. If you are on BES, it is possible your IT policy is blocking wifi. Check with your IT department in that case.
    04-29-10 11:12 AM
    I work on BB's and am studying for certification that is equivalent to CompTIA's A+ certification and yes there is a way, well at least there was. That is to obtain an OS version from a carrier such as T-Mobile that supports Wi-Fi and Blackberry Desktop Manager would need some hacking since it is going to tell you that you have the wrong software. A work around is to have an older version on the manager (about two years old). ALL current Blackberry motherboards have a Wi-Fi radio built in.

Obviously your carrier would be very unhappy with you. And as far as Wi-Fi mobile calling goes, the carrier has to be set up for that.
    Wow, I've never seen someone with such supposed "knowledge" make such an invalid statement...

Judging by it, along with the fact that you've made 1 post in the past 3 months, I'm going to take a guess and say you never passed that test. Anyway- prove me wrong. Please show us the magical "built in Wi-Fi radio".
    04-30-10 01:21 AM
    Where there is a will there is a way.. Maybe you can hook up your blackberry to your Laptop and access the Wi-fi network from the laptop and send it to your BB.. (always a way.. if you must be able to honestly say .. "my 8830 has wi-fi") Like beating on a dead issue.. lol
    08-12-11 06:34 PM
    Bt verison actualy acted d wrong way on dat issue..nao iz dier any other solution or ways to by pass apart from diz wifi..

08-17-11 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD