Well im pretty mad about verizon locking features on our 8830s, and ive signed petitions and called verizon multiple times to submit a complaint...yet nothing.

I have downloaded the google maps and have been using it for maps in general but i really want that gps feature. Is there a way to get a gps receiver and have google or BB maps lock on to that signal instead?

thanks
    06-21-07 01:09 PM
    I just bought the Navibe GB 735. It was so easy to configure even a caveman can do it. Charge it, turn it on, link it to your 8830, punch in 0000 for the device pass code and you have it.

I thought Google Maps would be the better of the two mapping software packages, but Blackberry Maps will access your contacts list for go to addresses and that saves some keystrokes.

Unless I have missed it Google Maps does not have the Navigate functions like the Blackberry Maps. Plus, BB maps has a dashboard that gives you current speed, direction and the number of satellites it has locked while displaying your navigation page.
    06-21-07 02:34 PM
    How much is the Navibe GB 735 and how does it work?
    06-22-07 10:08 AM
    How much is the Navibe GB 735 and how does it work?
    I bought it for $59 plus shipping.

It works with both BB Maps and Google Mobile Maps. Once you have paired it with your 8830 anytime you turn the GB 735 on and your phone is near it will begin receiving GPS information as soon as the satellite info begins to come in.

The TTFF on the GB 735 is about a minute.

The Blackberry Maps built into the 8830 works better than the Google Mobil Maps to me. The BB Maps can reach into the contact list for addresses and actually has a routing and navigation function.

I am going to have to uninstall Google Maps because last night it began to lock up the phone when I would start it.

Compared to a stand alone Magellan 2200T Auto GPS the BB Maps and the 8830 leaves a lot to be desired. The map tracking on the 8830 is much slower because it is having to download new information. For example, the 2200T keeps a real accurate track of where you are. The 8830 you are sometimes several hundred yards behind on the map. So, with closely spaced streets you could miss a turn if you are not constantly comparing the map to the actual street signs and that does defeat the purpose of the navigation feature.

It is neat that it works, but not nearly as good as the Magellan unit.
    06-22-07 12:41 PM
    With everbody linking their phones to GPS antenna instead of a handsfree device and staring at a tiny map the roads are gonna get real dangerous :-)
    06-22-07 05:06 PM
    how well does this work when also trying to talk on the phone ? i know on my pocket pc i can do both just fine.
    07-02-07 12:26 AM
    You don't think you can receive both data and a voice call a the same time. The GPS data may stream in via Bluetooth, but the maps updates for BB or Google Maps probably won't since the phone needs data access to the network for that. I know if you're tethering and a voice call comes in the data connection stops working during the call.
    07-02-07 10:57 AM
    With everbody linking their phones to GPS antenna instead of a handsfree device and staring at a tiny map the roads are gonna get real dangerous :-)
    i have tom tom on my old treo...i just listen to the directions and glance at the map's red arrow once in a while to make sure i make the right turn.

what really will make the roads more dangerous is texting while driving...that scares me with all the 14/15 year olds soon to be getting their licenses.
    07-02-07 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD