I have an ATT curve that works great but unfortunately I ran it over last night. My beltclip broke and I didn't realize the phone fell until I started driving. So my question is....Can I use my Sprint 8830 with an ATT sim card? I put the sim card in and the date and time registers however it doesnt have my updated address book. Also, when I make a phone call it directs me to roaming. Is it possible to change the settings and use this Sprint phone with ATT network? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Simon
    03-07-09 05:50 PM
    The sim card slot for the 8830WE will only function whilst overseas...Sprint does not use a SIM card to attach the phone to its network like GSM carriers do. Sprint uses a CDMA network. Unfortunately, you will only be able to use the phone on other CDMA networks. In addition, Sprint will not unlock any phone that they do not sell, currently or previously. I've tried several times to give them an ESN for the Storm, but they won't budge. They make more money this way, and unfortunately given the current economic hardships, that's not going to change anytime soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 06:06 PM
    Thanks for the info mconk. I guess it's time to upgrade to the bold....
    03-07-09 08:20 PM
    Oh, I forgot to say...sorry for your loss!! Lol...you don't have insurance ?

03-07-09 11:00 PM
    Did you try seeing if you could find anyone who may be selling a GSM berry?
    03-08-09 12:17 AM
    The sim card slot for the 8830WE will only function whilst overseas...Sprint does not use a SIM card to attach the phone to its network like GSM carriers do. Sprint uses a CDMA network. Unfortunately, you will only be able to use the phone on other CDMA networks. In addition, Sprint will not unlock any phone that they do not sell, currently or previously. I've tried several times to give them an ESN for the Storm, but they won't budge. They make more money this way, and unfortunately given the current economic hardships, that's not going to change anytime soon.

Like mconk said, Sprint wont unlock there phones, however you can use a 3rd party to unlock them. it costs around $13.99, which may or may not be worth it to you. Sim card slot will work in the US if you have the phone unlocked, so give this a try and hopefully it will work for you. Good luck
    03-11-09 11:05 AM
    I don't believe the sim card slot will work, even if a 3rd party physically unlocks the device. From what I understand, the sim only works whilst overseas...the cdma network in the US dosent attach via sim....right?

03-11-09 12:30 PM
    I don't believe the sim card slot will work, even if a 3rd party physically unlocks the device. From what I understand, the sim only works whilst overseas...the cdma network in the US dosent attach via sim....right?

From what I have heard I agree the MCONK. SIM slot only works on GSM network internationally. In your case, hopefully we are wrong. Do your research before paying anyone to do anything to your phone.
    03-11-09 12:33 PM
    Yeah agreed-some of those unlocking websites are costly, and some are scams. I know some people might be able to reccomend a reliable site, and I know someone can answer the sim question. I'm fairly certain what I stated above is true however. Let us know if you find out otherwise.

Michael

03-11-09 09:26 PM
    Ok, first off, there is no need to unlock the Sprint 8830. Sprint's 8830 comes unlocked out of the box. Don't believe me? Go to Options - Advanced - SIM Card. Look at the top. See where it says "SIM Card: Security Disabled" ? That means it's unlocked.

It's not a SIM issue. The problem is, the radio in the 8830 doesn't operate at the right frequencies to be used on North American GSM networks. There's no way around that. Sorry.

03-12-09 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD