So you can now sync with Exchange via the AKO beta site? Doesn't the Army realize how INSECURE that service really is? You basically (unless M$ has changed things finally) have to remove any kind of firewall from the Exchange server to get the remote sync to work, it was always that way, and you had to poke so many holes in the firewall on the server side, you may as well not have ANY firewall at all.

I have started using the Blackberry Unite software on a PC at my house, and it works wonderfully for my AKO account, as well as my personal email accounts (up to 10 per user) For those that don't know what it is, the Blackberry Unite software is a free download from RIM, that allows you to sync contacts and calendars between up to 5 blackberry devices, as well as several other things. It is basically a cut down version of BES for home use. Plus I am not putting my email account data out on a server that I don't controll.
    08-14-08 10:44 PM
    Sandman333 is your AKO set up in you blackberry still working? Cause mine stopped working about a week and a half ago, I tried in numerous occasions deleting and adding the AKO e-mail account again and again but nothing is going on. Now, it wont let me change from POP3 to IMAP, when in the past I had it set up as IMAP.
    08-21-08 08:32 PM
    So you can now sync with Exchange via the AKO beta site? Doesn't the Army realize how INSECURE that service really is? You basically (unless M$ has changed things finally) have to remove any kind of firewall from the Exchange server to get the remote sync to work, it was always that way, and you had to poke so many holes in the firewall on the server side, you may as well not have ANY firewall at all.
    I had this setup at work not too long ago... using ActiveSync to a Windows Mobile phone. Having an inherit lack of trust for Microsoft, I had an Apache proxy in front of my Exchange Server. The proxy accepted connections HTTPS connections from my phone on port 443 and passed them on to the Exchange Server on the other side of the firewall. The firewall would only accept the connection from the Apache proxy, not from the world. This was the only hole pocked in my firewall to make this work.

That being said, I'd sooner trust RIM with my AKO password then set up an IIS server that's listening on port 80 to the whole world.
    08-25-08 09:12 AM
    okay it's my turn to try and get my AKO email going I'm using an 8830, thank you all for the helpful tips. Sandman would you possibly email me your slides (screen shots) [email protected].
    09-04-08 12:53 PM
    O.k. I am in the same boat. Have a question though. I IMAP already from home 100% of the time unless I am traveling which is a lot. When I am out on the road I would like the email to remain on the server until my laptop is connected but as I am roaming the airports of the world I would like AKO Email access. Will the BB leave the email on the Excahange Server or should I just webmail for this?
    09-04-08 05:36 PM
    Sandman333 is your AKO set up in you blackberry still working? Cause mine stopped working about a week and a half ago, I tried in numerous occasions deleting and adding the AKO e-mail account again and again but nothing is going on. Now, it wont let me change from POP3 to IMAP, when in the past I had it set up as IMAP.
    Sorry, I've been really busy the last few months and had no time to get on here. Basically, you can have all the settings for AKO to work correct, and have it still not work. Mine didn't work for months, and then just the other day I had to update my AKO password. I loaded the new password into my BB and it's working again, with no other changes (and yes, I had the old password loaded correctly). AKO administrators will tell you that you are not allowed to use BBs on the AKO system, even though they publish BB outages on the AKO home page.
    11-09-08 07:26 PM
    FYI AKO accessed is via pop
    Incomming is: pop.us.army.mil, 995
    Outgoing is: mailrouter.us.army.mil, 465

Both using SSL settings.

I have been using my BB 8830WE for AKO access for 3 months with no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-08 07:32 PM
    Can someone answer the question about the email remaining on the server or is that a dumb question? I am getting ready to set this up. Thanks in advance.
    11-19-08 06:21 PM
    It should remain on the server

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 06:23 PM
    My messages remain on the server no matter what I do with the bb. And their listed as new emails.
    11-19-08 06:38 PM
    Thanks guys. I was thinking that just wanted to be sure.
    11-20-08 06:32 AM
    I just bought a BB 9630 Tour and am having problems receiving my mail from AKO. Does anyone know the proper setup for this?
    08-07-09 03:13 PM
    I just bought a BB 9630 Tour and am having problems receiving my mail from AKO. Does anyone know the proper setup for this?
    DA has blocked access to personal blackberry devices since the 24th of June due to password publication to third party systems security violation. That's all that can be stated publicly at this time.
    08-07-09 09:57 PM
    DA has blocked access to personal blackberry devices since the 24th of June due to password publication to third party systems security violation. That's all that can be stated publicly at this time.
    08-07-09 10:28 PM
    08-07-09 10:35 PM
    Logic Mail is the only solution really.
    08-08-09 10:55 AM
    I am going to try and get my AKO e-mail to work on mine today.

I just updated the OS from Verizon and installed the DoD Certificates.

I will let you know.
    My berry is updated so verizon say, how do I add the DoD Certificates to this device?
    08-08-09 07:24 PM
    Can someone tell me how to install and sync DoD certificates on a 8330?
    08-09-09 10:42 AM
    You do not need to install the certificates for the Logic Mail. Do you have a CAC sled for your BB?
    08-10-09 05:25 AM
    Where did you get a CAC sled for your BB?
    08-12-09 05:08 PM
    08-14-09 09:52 AM
    sandman333: I recently got a blackberry storm, and am having no luck getting my AKO set up on it. Can you help me also?
    08-25-09 03:24 PM
    Short answer:

Your Blackberry doesn't store your username and password locally when you set up your email accounts. This information is stored on your service provider's server somewhere which gives other people access to this information. Allowing someone else access to your username and password is not allowed by AKO policies.

Long answer:
    How to legally check your AKO on your Blackberry:

There are two methods:

1) Use your Blackberry browser to navigate to the webmail site and manually enter your username and password to check your email

2) Use an application that stores your username and password locally on your device, essentially allowing an IMAP connection. (I have only found one such app that works well, logicmail)

Why can Windows Mobile devices and government-owned Blackberries check AKO email without using one of the two methods above? Let's split that into two answers:

Windows Mobile devices have the ability to set up your email accounts on the device as an IMAP connection. This stores your username and password locally on your device. When the user prompts the Windows Mobile device to do so, it logs on to the email provider's site with the credentials stored in the phone, sends and receives emails, and then logs off. Your username and passwords are never seen by a third party, just you and the email provider.

Government owned Blackberries use a server that is physically located with the government entity that provides your local email account. All of the usernames and passwords needed are stored on servers that are maintained by government employees. In this situation, your username and password are still kept between you and the email provider.

Both of these solutions meet the AKO policies. The short version of this particular policy is: You CAN use a mobile device to check your AKO email as long as your username and password are not shared with any other entity.

The IMAP type devices allow you to check your AKO email, but they will not push you email to you. You have to manually have your device check email or set up a schedule / interval for it to check email. The benefit of a Blackberry is that is "always on, always connected", so your email is pushed to your device.

One final note before I end my novel, even government Blackberries cannot check AKO directly; these users must have their AKO forwarded to their Blackberry account which then pushes the email to their device.
    08-26-09 12:08 PM
    Short answer:

Your Blackberry doesn't store your username and password locally when you set up your email accounts. This information is stored on your service provider's server somewhere which gives other people access to this information. Allowing someone else access to your username and password is not allowed by AKO policies.

Long answer:
    How to legally check your AKO on your Blackberry:

There are two methods:

1) Use your Blackberry browser to navigate to the webmail site and manually enter your username and password to check your email

2) Use an application that stores your username and password locally on your device, essentially allowing an IMAP connection. (I have only found one such app that works well, logicmail)

Why can Windows Mobile devices and government-owned Blackberries check AKO email without using one of the two methods above? Let's split that into two answers:

Windows Mobile devices have the ability to set up your email accounts on the device as an IMAP connection. This stores your username and password locally on your device. When the user prompts the Windows Mobile device to do so, it logs on to the email provider's site with the credentials stored in the phone, sends and receives emails, and then logs off. Your username and passwords are never seen by a third party, just you and the email provider.

Government owned Blackberries use a server that is physically located with the government entity that provides your local email account. All of the usernames and passwords needed are stored on servers that are maintained by government employees. In this situation, your username and password are still kept between you and the email provider.

Both of these solutions meet the AKO policies. The short version of this particular policy is: You CAN use a mobile device to check your AKO email as long as your username and password are not shared with any other entity.

The IMAP type devices allow you to check your AKO email, but they will not push you email to you. You have to manually have your device check email or set up a schedule / interval for it to check email. The benefit of a Blackberry is that is "always on, always connected", so your email is pushed to your device.

One final note before I end my novel, even government Blackberries cannot check AKO directly; these users must have their AKO forwarded to their Blackberry account which then pushes the email to their device.
    Nice, sounds like a regurgitated long version of my original reply to this thread. The short of it all, is you CAN'T do it unless you're running IMAP email settings
    08-27-09 07:33 PM
    Nice, sounds like a regurgitated long version of my original reply to this thread. The short of it all, is you CAN'T do it unless you're running IMAP email settings
    My post was more like an in-depth reiteration of what I posted on 22 July 2008. My goal was to explain the nuts and bolts behind why you can only check AKO via IMAP settings for those who are interested.

But yes, our posts deliver the same message: Only with IMAP can you check AKO on a mobile device.
    08-31-09 02:06 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD