Hey guys. I have an attorney who recently just purchased an 8830. When he brought it in, I sync'd his contacts that he had from outlook express. There were around 200. We have no BES here so I used the newest Blackberry Software. He had an old flip phone with tons of contacts on there as well and wanted them on his new phone. I told him Verizon would be able to transfer all his contacts from his old phone to the Blackberry instead of typing them all in manually. He went to Verizon and came back with only 33 contacts. The other contacts from his outlook express were deleted. Fine I thought, I'll just resync it tomorrow. I just tried to and the Blackberry Software told me it was going to delete all 200 contacts from his outlook express and just add the 33 contacts to outlook from his phone. I figured it was maybe because it was set up for 2 way sync. I changed it so it would sync from the computer to the device. It does not want to move the 200 contacts from outlook to the device. Are the 200 contacts somewhere else on the phone other than address book. I'm kind of new to the whole blackberry scene so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm basically trying to add his 200 contacts from outlook express while maintaining the 33 contacts that are on his phone now.
    05-21-08 01:58 PM
    First, before proceeding make sure you have a backup of your clients OE .DBX file.
    05-21-08 02:27 PM
    Now that you are sure his data is safe let's check a couple of things. Are the 33 contacts part of the 200? If so delete the 33 and sync again, then there is no issue with bi-directional issues.

A couple of issues I have encountered stem from having contacts in multiple folders. BB only wants to sync with contacts in the root folder. Categories are fine, multiple nested folders not fine.
    05-21-08 02:31 PM
    I will give that a shot. He isn't in the office at the moment. The 33 were not part of the original 200. The 33 were brought over from his old flip phone. When I try to put the 200 back from his outlook express, it does not do it. It doesn't even tell me that it's going to make an addition or deletion. It simply just does not sync his Outlook Express address book now that the 33 contacts from his old phone were brought over.
    05-21-08 03:04 PM
    After completing your task, don't forget to charge him by the hour, in half an hour increments!
    05-21-08 03:07 PM
    hahaha very nice CrackBlack. Preferred User what do you mean multiple folders when talking about contacts?
    05-21-08 03:09 PM
    I've migrated from so many different address books, it is embarrassing. There are always quirks. Actually, I found the smoothest migration using Outlook 2003. Even the photos came over.

Anyway, in addition to backing up the OEX file, export it to a file or two - (CSV, excel) so you have it outside of OEX format and can use it with anything.

After having multiple backups of the 200 contacts, I'd return to 2-way sync, let the 33 contacts wipe out OEX, import the 200 to OEX and sync again. That last sync should put the 200 to the BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-08 06:47 AM
    I will give it a try when he comes back from court. Thanks for all your help guys.
    05-22-08 08:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD