I have a Blackberry 8830 set up to synchronize an Outlook (2007) Address Book (Contacts) with it. Come to find out that the Blackberry is listing/alphabetizing the contents of the address book by "title" as in Mr. or Mrs.

Is this an Outlook Contacts issue where the user cannot utilize a "title" like Mr. or Mrs. - or is there a way to have the Blackberry display the address book by first or last name?

Thanks.
    03-12-08 11:44 AM
    Welcome to the forums!

You can change how the names are sorted/displayed on your BB by going in into the Address Book Options and changing the Sort By to whatever you want (last name, first name, or company).
    03-12-08 11:47 AM
    Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the quick reply. I checked the options within the Address Book and it is set to "First Name" ... I have played with it on my own and while a "Full Name" contact within Outlook is broken down by Title / First / Middle / Last / Suffix, it seems like it appends the "Title" to the "First" (name).

Since the user in question that is having this issue is our CEO, I want to make sure that I have my facts straight before I go telling his assistant that she's going to need to remove the "Title" from each one of his contacts if this ends up being an Outlook issue.
    03-12-08 11:54 AM
    I looked in the desktop manager in the sychronize application. This is a bit long winded so bare with me.

With the phone hooked up to the computer get into the Syncronization application in the Desktop Manager. Go into the second tab which is the configuration tab. Press the configure sync button and when the configuration window appears, select the address book and on the bottom right hand corner there is a button named Configure. Press the button and choose Advanced Settings. When that window appears there is a button in the lower right hand corner called Field Mapping. Press the button and another window will appear and just press the OK button. A window with the field mapping information between Outlook and the Blackberry will appear. Go down the list and you will see a field called Salutation and it is mapped to Title. Click on the arrow that maps those two fields together. The arrows will dissappear. Ok button out of everything and select the Syncronize tab try to resync your 8830. I think this will solve your problem. I have not tried this but I have synced Outlook to a lot of things over the years and I end up having to remap things in what ever device I sync to. I am assuming that you are using the fullname button in the outlook contacts and putting the Mr. or Mrs. in the Title field there?

I typically do not put this information in Outlook because it does squirrel things up when you sync but sometimes it is necessary with some names because names like Jerry where it can be both guy and gal name.

This should solve the problem. Let us know how it goes!
    03-12-08 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD