I looked through most of the posts and I was unable to find anything similar. A few weeks back I was sending a text when I noticed my address book was not to be found. At first I assumed, in my drunken state, I hit some combination of buttons to to wipe out all my contacts. I use a mac so I was not able to use the desktop manager, but fortunately I had all of my contacts saved in the verizon backup system online. Then I noticed something very strange. Every time I received a call from people that were in my address book it showed up as their contact name. I thought maybe it was just pulling from the recent calls I had made, but even people that I haven't talked to in months were showing up as their name (as listed in my address book) when I attempted to dial their number.

I called Verizon's blackberry support and one of the techs had me go to options and change the way I was sorting my contacts from first name to last name. Magically, all my contact were back. The verizon wireless tech could not explain what happened, but I that point I really didn't care. I was just excited I didn't have to spend a few hours manually putting them all back.

After getting off of the phone I exited the address book and thought all was good. This is until I re-entered the address book to find them all gone again. Now any time I want to get my addresses I have to go to options and toggle between first or last name sorting.

Has anyone ever had this problem before or can anyone offer any advice on how to fix it? If so, the help would be much appreciated. I plan on calling verizon, but I am not confident in their abilities.

Josh
    01-12-08 10:45 AM
    Check your filter settings to ensure that you have none of them checked. If you have a catagory checked that has no entries, nothing will show up. When in address book, select filter from the menu and make sure all catagories are unchecked to see all of your contacts. Hope that solves the problem.
    01-13-08 03:37 PM
    Also, make sure you didn't go into address book and type in a character that doesn't match the beginning of anyone's name. That will blank the screen because no match can be found. This is usually the problem when you go in type a non-matching character and hit end instead of backing out. It leaves that character in there for next time.
    01-14-08 10:12 AM
    Yes, check Address Book > Menu > Filters. Uncheck any boxes checked. Hopefully that will bring them back as it is a common issue where someone inadvertently checks a filter.
    01-14-08 10:33 AM
    Thanks, you're a genius, I kept checking a filter option, not realizing that I should click the one that is checked in order to uncheck it. I feel so stupid but at least I have my address book back!:-)
    01-31-08 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD