Hey there CrackBerriers!

I've just found this site and all my hopes rest on you all! Here's the situation I'm in: My employer as just gone bankrupt... and I'm left with no job and a nice BlackBerry 8830 as a paperweight! Nobody asked me for my phone back... I was simply told that I would never be able to activate it ever again. They told me that since the account the company had my phone on had gone unpaid for months, my BB would never be transfered to another account again!

But I love that thing! Is there a way that I could ever use use it again for anything else than watching videos or listening to music???

Please, anyone help!

I'm an IT tech... but I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about phones! I'm willing to learn (quite fast)... and I can't bare the thought of parting with my BB. Actually, it's worst than that: I have to sit here and look at it all day!

BTW: My BB was with Bell Mobility. I would probably go with Rogers if I had a choice... do I?
    Last edited by WoRkZ; 07-07-09 at 08:25 AM.
    07-06-09 09:02 PM
    So, even on this BlackBerry forum, nobody knows what to do in a case like this? I guess my BlackBerry IS a gonner than...

It just downed on me how many phones are just made useless in a year simply because they can't be activated anymore. Worldwide, that has to be some pretty impressive pile of junk!

Anyway, thanks to those who read my post. See ya folks!
    07-07-09 08:31 AM
    Sometimes this section is a little slow moving. The real brains check in every few days or so. There may be a way.

Have you checked all of the sticky theads about unlocking your phone? Or, is it more of a activation through RIM that would be prohibited until the bill is paid?
    07-07-09 09:49 AM
    Sometimes this section is a little slow moving. The real brains check in every few days or so. There may be a way.

Have you checked all of the sticky theads about unlocking your phone? Or, is it more of a activation through RIM that would be prohibited until the bill is paid?
    I read through a lot of stuff already... but nothing seems to relate to my specific situation. I was told by our technical director that Bell would never allow the phones to be activated on another account/carrier. It seems like they have to relase the phones somehow... I really don't know enough about those things.

I wouldn't think RIM would get involved in any of this, do you? That would suck big time! If I was to find that it was RIM actually not allowing me to activate the phone, I'd certainly go out and buy a competing product and never look back! I'd be miserable at first though... this is my 3rd BlackBerry in a row!

Thanks for your reply BTW!
    07-07-09 09:59 AM
    Just a thought but have you contacted the wireless provider that your company had the account with? Or maybe just take it to Rogers and see what they say.....just a thought good luck
    07-07-09 10:12 AM
    Just a thought but have you contacted the wireless provider that your company had the account with? Or maybe just take it to Rogers and see what they say.....just a thought good luck
    I suppose I could take it to Rogers and see if they could activte it. But they'd probably want me to sign-up for an account first. So if the phone can't be used, I'd be forced to buy a new one. Since I'm fresh out of a job, I'd rather not do that for now...

That's why I'm looking for solid info about this before I go and do something stupid that would make things worst for me. I mean, maybe there is still a way that I could use the phone... and I don't want to take any chances yet.

A working phone would be a nice thing to have though... I just got out to the store today and tried to call my wife on a phone that doesn't work. LOL I'm so used to having this thing on me all the time that it's like it doesn't sink in that it doesn't actually work anymore.
    Last edited by WoRkZ; 07-07-09 at 10:42 AM.
    07-07-09 10:34 AM
    Quick update: One of my ex-co-workers said he tried activating his with Bell and they wouldn't let him. I'm also told that since it was used on the Bell network, it is not compatible with Roger's... but it might work on Telus'. Can anyone confirm this? It would have something to do with frequencies???
    07-09-09 06:17 PM
    If the account which the PIN/ESN is not paid then you cannot activate it anywhere.
    07-10-09 12:01 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...ad-first-3308/
    Q.) Can I unlock the 8830 to be used on ATT (cingular) or T-Mobile?
    A.) NO. The 8830’s GSM operates in the 900 / 1800 Mhz band where as T-Mo and AT&T use 850 / 1900 in the united states. You can not do ANYTHING to make this work. If you want a 8800 series, buy the 8800 or 8820 which is GSM.
    =============
    07-10-09 12:02 AM
    Q.) Can I unlock the 8830 to be used on ATT (cingular) or T-Mobile?
    A.) NO. The 8830�s GSM operates in the 900 / 1800 Mhz band where as T-Mo and AT&T use 850 / 1900 in the united states. You can not do ANYTHING to make this work. If you want a 8800 series, buy the 8800 or 8820 which is GSM.
    =============
    I had actually read that FAQ... but since they are US carriers, it didn't help me decide whether I could activate it with another carrier or not.

I've since learned that Bell and Telus share the same cellular network... so my guess is that it can be activated on Telus' network. However, if like you said they look at some registration number and won't activate it, I'm screwed anyway.

Still no working BB at this time... and no job either.
    07-10-09 08:38 AM
    I don't think that Telus will activate a phone from a different carrier. Even though it is CDMA, Telus refuses to put it on their network. They also refuse to give out the unlock codes to move their branded phones to another network. Bell works the same way I believe. I don't know this from experience, just from what I've read here on the forums. I think your best bet would be to go to Bell and explain the situation, maybe they will allow it back on their system if you sign up.
    07-10-09 11:31 AM
    I don't think that Telus will activate a phone from a different carrier. Even though it is CDMA, Telus refuses to put it on their network. They also refuse to give out the unlock codes to move their branded phones to another network. Bell works the same way I believe. I don't know this from experience, just from what I've read here on the forums. I think your best bet would be to go to Bell and explain the situation, maybe they will allow it back on their system if you sign up.
    I sure hope there's a way to unlock it so it would work on Telus' network (how does that work?) and they're actually willing to enable it... because as I've said, one or my ex-colleagues tried to have it activated on Bell's network and they wouldn't.
    07-10-09 01:55 PM
    If it was a BGell phone, the ESN is registered to that carrier. Telus won't touch it. You would have to have Bell release the ESN from their carrier database, then have Telus register the ESN before it could be activated on their network. CDMA is pretty strict about what phones use what network.

It's not like GSM carriers where all you have to do is swap out the SIM card.
    07-10-09 02:47 PM
    Honestly, if was me if you are going to sign a contract then go ahead and pay $50 for the Curve. That way you will at least have a one year warranty. I am unemployed, too, but $50 now or your 8830 break next week and $600 for a non-contract phone after signing the contract?
    07-10-09 04:50 PM
    Honestly, if was me if you are going to sign a contract then go ahead and pay $50 for the Curve. That way you will at least have a one year warranty. I am unemployed, too, but $50 now or your 8830 break next week and $600 for a non-contract phone after signing the contract?
    Once again, I will remind you guys that it's not as simple over here. Prices are way higher than down south. Bell only offers one QWERTY BlackBerry (the only kind of phone I would consider) and it's the Tour. Since there is no way in hail I will ever sign a contract again with any carrier whatsoever, the phone would cost me 700$! So they can go to hail!

And Telus have the Curve on sale right now... for 500$! So yeah, I don't plan on throwing that kind of cash around while I'm unemployed. And no, I will not reconsider signing up for 3 years (this has to be the worst idea ever).

I mean, I actually have a BlackBerry in hand for Pete's sake! Why would I want to pay for a new one? Mine looks like it's been bought last month anyway (I know how to take care of my things).

Anyway. I think I'm gonna use my wife's crappy phone for a bit (thank god it's not pink or something!)... it will save me some money. And maybe later on Bell might be interested in activating my BB back in exchange for my patronage... but yeah, it's highly unlikely.

So, best strategy here: Quickly find a new job and get another office phone. Case closed!

Thanks to all of you for helping me with this! It looks like all I can do now is throw that thing in the bottom of a drawer and forget about it...

Cheers!
    Last edited by WoRkZ; 07-11-09 at 12:25 AM.
    07-11-09 12:12 AM
    I'm looking at bell.ca and it says $50.00.
    07-11-09 12:57 AM
    Sorry to hear about your job loss...I'm going to be in the same boat in about 1 month.
    Sounds like your berry will be good for parts or a paperweight. Not what you wanted to hear. It sucks that the canadian plans / phones are so much higher.

Good luck!
    07-11-09 01:15 AM
    Nice avater there txladi29! Thanks for the support too! Hope you find a new job soon!

sandsjh: Like I said, I am never singing up for any contract with any phone company ever again. It's a scam I will keep away from... I've learned my lesson. If you've seen a phone somewhere that actually costs 50$ with no gimmicks, it's either refurbished or not a BlackBerry.

Anyway, like I said (in my previious post) I'm gonna use the wife's crappy phone for a while and hope for another BB once I get a new job... I might negociate that into my contract or something.

Cheers folks!
    Last edited by WoRkZ; 07-12-09 at 01:45 AM.
    07-12-09 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD