Hi, I have My 8830 WE for a pretty long time and I'm enjoying it pretty much. The reason I chose this one is because of the full key board. I hated the old days when I had to hit evey button three times on my razor phone to send a text.

Any way my problem now is, For the last couple weeks the hour glass keeps on working and like not letting me go from one place to the next. It dose that at times and then it dosn't for a while. But when it dose it really go's on my nerves. I miss calls etc.. I just take the battery out and put it back in ad it helps for a while.
    I was thinking it might have something to with up loading Twitterberry or Uberberry. Since these aplications, I think work the whole time looking for tweets.
    I spoke to Verizon they helped me updated the software on my computer for the phone which I really never did since I have it. I never even pluged my phone in to the computer for updates. It helped for 2 weeks and now again the hour glass keeps on searching I don't know fr what. Verizon claims it could be the operation systym on the phone could be damaged and they can send me a new/refubished phone for $50 I was thinking it might be worth it just to get rid of this problem. I have another option of getting the new Tour phone for $199. Is it all so WE, hows the key board? etc... is it worth changeing? or I should just get the exchange for $50
    Last edited by Jackwalz; 08-04-09 at 12:29 PM.
    08-04-09 12:26 PM
    The constant hourglass means you are running out of memory. Check out how much free memory you have before and after a battery pull. It sounds like you are dropping down pretty low. This can mean you have too many apps loaded, or media.

First, make sure you have an SD card installed, then move any media you can over to the SD card. Then check to see if there are any apps that can be uninstalled to help free up memory. You should have at least 10MB free after a battery pull. If it is below that, then you will start seeing problems.

Check out the How-To section for more info on freeing up memory.
    08-04-09 01:51 PM
    Hi, Thanks, Do u remember where I can see how much memory is used? And I only have like 4 pictures there maybe thats taking up memory, and I put one as my back drop.?

The constant hourglass means you are running out of memory. Check out how much free memory you have before and after a battery pull. It sounds like you are dropping down pretty low. This can mean you have too many apps loaded, or media.

First, make sure you have an SD card installed, then move any media you can over to the SD card. Then check to see if there are any apps that can be uninstalled to help free up memory. You should have at least 10MB free after a battery pull. If it is below that, then you will start seeing problems.

08-04-09 02:04 PM
    You can check your memory by going to Options>Status. You can also hit alt+shift+H

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 05:24 PM
    Quick question:

First, make sure you have an SD card installed, then move any media you can over to the SD card.

Suggestions on how to move media (photo's and ring tones) over?
    08-05-09 09:13 AM
    Quick question:

Wondering the same thing. I would like to move some apps over to the SD card.
    08-05-09 10:44 AM
    Wondering the same thing. I would like to move some apps over to the SD card.
    You can't have apps on a media card. Pictures, videos, music, rings tones etc.
    08-05-09 11:10 AM
    Apps won't move. It's one of the heated topics about the BB. I watch what apps I want to have on my 8830WE and weight the memory options. Quite often, I'll have to remove an app that I don't use too often to free up memory.

Photos, music, and other media can be moved (through Desktop Manager's Media Manager). You have to have mass storage mode on when connected to your PC. You can also use Explorer to move files.

There is a pretty good How-To article for freeing up memory over in the How-To forum, including removing sample media and such.
    08-05-09 02:10 PM
    I do know the new Barnes and Nobles reader installs the books to the SD card
    08-07-09 08:36 AM
    When I used an 8830, I had this problem once. I fixed on accident by getting mad so I "Killed" my phone by ripping out the battery and profusely yelling at it... (i felt better).

What I later learned (on accident as well) was that... the problem was my fault. I didn't know I could background applications... I figured if I couldn't see it, it wasn't running (I didn't think smartphones were up to that point yet... ). I figured this out when I held down the menu key for slightly too long and the application switcher popped up. I then found out I had almost everything running...

I then learned, that I needed to close out applications. Never had that issue again.
    08-09-09 04:57 AM
    Quick question:

OKAY I FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO THIS

To move files from the actual BB to the SD Card.

1. CUT and Paste the files to your PC (LAPTOP/DESKTOP).

a. I created a folder on my desktop called BB (Blackberry), and then moved the files with the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

b. Select the Media and then Launch Media Manager.

***This launches the Roxio for Blackberry Application***

C. Select My Devices. If you have the SD Card in the BB you will have 2 devices. A Device Memory and a Media Card.

2. Copy the files from the Device Memory to the Computer.

3. Copy the files from the Computer to the Media Card, back to the folder you copied out of in #2 to the same folder name in the Media Card.

That is how you move the items.

NOTE: If ringtones you will need to launch the Media and allow it to scan and reconnect all items.
    08-11-09 07:12 AM
    I know most won't be able to, but after complete frustration while on vacations this summer, I ended up buying the Tour early (before the upgrade cycle) and could not be happier. I do not think I have had a single problem.

There was simply no way to run our business when all I got was an hourglass and calls going straight to voicemail (unknown number). My phone had two apps (facebook & google), no music with all files on a large SD card. A replacement phone did the same thing.

The Verizon store was not very helpful of course and they simply would not acknowledge a problem with the 8830 WE (they have obviously been coached with standard responses), instead giving the same advice regarding memory as above, with the responses being that you cannot save emails (delete them right away), there is basically no room in the memory for apps and make sure that you reboot often.

Basically my 8830 has become a $150 child's playtoy, until of course I sell it on EBay. Of course I'll probably feel like Mr. Crabs!
    08-11-09 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD