Hi,

I've had my 8830 WE since Jan of 08 and have had very few probs.

Suddenly yesterday out of the blue my BB starting acting odd. It would be sitting there and the screen would light up and then sometimes it would go to the list of dialed numbers screen.

When this first happened and I tried to use it, I could get it to go back to the main screen, but could not scroll to various apps or navigate anywhere from there w/any key. It was totally locked up.

I took out the battery and replaced it and once booted I was able to scroll to other apps but not open them.

Once again I removed the battery and rebooted and things seemed good to go.

Now however, my spacebar does not function. I discovered this while trying to type a text message and nothing I do gets it to work...and this of course screws up my online search ablilties as well when all the characters run together.

I've removed the battery several times in hopes of this resolving the issue, but to no avail.

I'm still on v4.2.2.176 and am thinking of upgrading to the most current version though I'm not sure that will have any impact.

Also when I hold down the alt or caps key, before I could hold it down and simultaneously press the other key I was trying to use and the desired character would come up as I typed. Now I have to press the alt or caps key, take my finger off that button before pressing the other key to get the desired character. (Hope that makes sense :P)

Is my baby permenantly fried or is there a reasonable fix?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Corine
    Last edited by weimgirl; 06-10-09 at 12:59 PM.
    06-10-09 12:55 PM
    Has your 8830 gotten wet? Those symptoms could be caused by water intrusion. It doesn't take much, and the damage is cumulative. If it is water damage, it's probably too late to dry it out.

Your symptoms could also be caused by a corrupted OS. In that case, wiping the old OS completely off the phone and reloading 4.2.2.176 or the latest 4.5.0.160 will help. If you don't have 4.2.2.176 installed on your PC, you won't be able to reload it after your wipe, because it is no longer available from the carrier sites.

Verizon's latest OS for the 8830 is 4.5.0.138. However, 4.5.0.160 from Telus has worked much better for me. You can see the sticky at the top of the 8830 forum for more information, as well as instructions on how to install it.
    06-12-09 06:13 AM
    Thanks for the input Jeff!

Months ago I had gotten it wet, but realized immediately and dried everything out and after several go rounds w/a hair dryer on low, things were back to norm.

The litmus paper turned red from that event, so if it's gotten wet again recently I really have no way of knowing.

I'll try upgrading the OS to the one you recommended and see if that works.

If not I'll contact verizon and go for the fix (I just hate waiting on getting the phone returned :P)

I have the insurance and that does cover water damage correct? I used the insurance 2 yrs ago on my old BB for a stolen phone but don't recall if it covered moisture issues.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond...and might I say, what a cool job you have! (I'd throw in an obligatory "it's not rocket science" joke, but I'm sure you get those at least weekly :P)

Have a great weekend!

~Corine
    06-12-09 12:34 PM
    Given your additional information, I feel reasonably sure your symptoms are due to latent water damage. It's really hard to get all the water out, and the effects of residual moisture can be slow and cumulative. It sounds like some critical circuit was finally sufficiently damaged.

I don't know if Verizon insurance covers water damage or not, but you have nothing to lose by asking.
    06-12-09 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD