Hi, I have recently acquired a 8830 WE from a friend and curently have it on the Bell network. It can receive SMS Texts but there is no option to respond or make my own. How can I get the SMS blackberry software on my phone?

Thanks For your help!
    10-21-09 08:43 PM
    SMS capability is integral to the phone; there's nothing for you to add. You may need to register your HRT and re-send your service books. You can find instructions for that here: How to Resend Service Books

If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to call customer service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 08:42 AM
    Hi Jeff, I found out that the SMS capability was disabled due to the fact it was a company phone. Any way i could restore the default operating system? I have already tried to update but it says that i do not need one, also i have tried rebooting etc.
    10-22-09 05:41 PM
    It sounds like you are describing an IT policy that blocked SMS sending. You can remove that by following this procedure: Removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry phone

The procedure requires you to have at least OS4.3 on your phone. OS4.3 was never released for the 8830, but you can get OS4.5 and use that.
    10-22-09 05:51 PM
    Hi Jeff, I went through the removing the IT policy process and SMS now works! Thanks for your Help
    10-22-09 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD