With so many planning to upgrade to the Tour, and BB / Carriers positioning it as the successor to the 8830, I thought it would be appropriate to start a (semi-humorous) thread to give folks an opportunity to bid farewell to their trusty 8830.

Responses can be in the form of a letter, or (for bonus points) Haiku. But whether you've had it for a month or a few years, please share with CB what your 8830 meant to you.

Dear 8830:

From the moment I met you on eBay, I knew you were the one for me. The only problem was getting that b**ch Treo out of the way. When you agreed to help me bury my ex's body, I knew Fate smiled upon our relationship.

Our honeymoon was a whirlwind: Europe, India, Africa. Even a weekend jaunt to exotic "Toronto." You were the first thing I reached for after landing, and the last thing I turned off when the aircraft door closed (by FAA regulation).

But now, almost two years later, things aren't the same. Your screen is starting to show wrinkles, and it hurts me to say that trying on these new themes & apps makes your memory look bloated. I know you tried to keep current with 4.5, but ever since .138 your mood swings have been a little unstable.

Last fall, I had a chance to meet your cousin, Storm. All of my friends said she was a flake, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being a little turned on. Anyway, even though I stuck with you, that's when I realized I was looking for something new.

But instead of her, I think I'll make a move on your sister Tour. Honestly, she's a lot like you, but younger, slimmer, & hotter. Rather than get jealous, I'd prefer you just be happy for us, and don't call, email, push, txt, tweet, bbmsg, im, or ping anymore.

I'll give you another week to pack your things.

Sincerely,

J.
    07-06-09 02:26 PM
    Haha that's some funny stuff. Ditto to my 8830. Long love the tour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 11:24 PM
    lol cant wait for that tour, i love the 8830 but i love the Tour MORE, farewell to the 8830, time well served
    07-07-09 01:16 AM
    I had my 8830 for maybe a few months before I got the Storm. I still have it though.
    07-07-09 03:24 AM
    I'll have had my 8830 for 22 days before I return it Sunday on my 30-day exchange. Love it but the Tour is where it's at!
    07-07-09 07:37 AM
    rofl well done dude, im also getting the tour, the 8830 has done its service
    07-08-09 07:20 PM
    The Tour is like a Trophy Wife...
    07-08-09 07:43 PM
    To the OP, good job on the little letter there.

What kinda Blackberry do you think we'll all be drooling over when we write our Tour's the above letter?
    07-09-09 12:20 AM
    RIP my beloved 8830

I am tour-ifically excited for the big day
    07-09-09 12:41 AM
    Very well put.

She'll be moving out of the house by Sunday morning.
    07-09-09 03:57 AM
    Very well put.

She'll be moving out of the house by Sunday morning.
    That reminds me of the guy who called his wife:

"Hey honey, Start packing, I just won the Lottery!"
    "OMG!! SHould I pack for warm weather or cold?"
    "I don't care... just be gone by the time I get home..."
    07-09-09 09:50 AM
    I'll be holding on to my 8830 a bit longer. I'm tired of finding myself at 0 filefree and having to do a battery pull every now and then. I'm tired of the horrible blue backlighting of the keyboard that makes it impossible to see in some situations. But I'm still delighted in the long battery life and the constant reliable flow of email to my phone. I also like the fact that the 4.5 OS upgrade gave me docs2go and better email and browsing. I can live with the quirks a few months longer. While I'm eligible now, I might be making a switch in early 2010. Maybe by then the whole rebate bs will be behind us...

So here's my letter,

Dear 8830,

Just hang in there another 6 months and it'll back to ebay for you! You're a good little phone and unlike that Treo 755p turd you replaced, somebody is gonna want to hold on to you for more than 3 months.

07-09-09 10:34 AM
    I think I may stick with my 8830 a little longer. I've only had it for two months now, and while the Tour looks great, I'm catching an interest in the HTC Hero. I think I might wait it out to hear information on a US release, but it would mean a switch from Verizon, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Depends on who ends up being the carrier: AT&T, probably not. Sprint, maybe.

Verizon's smartphone selection is really lacking.

07-09-09 10:46 AM
    .....no Haiku?

I suppose it's like junior high, and no one wants to be the first one on the dancefloor. So I'll start us off:

Tell me the point of
    International Roaming
    If I can't Take Pics.
    07-09-09 07:27 PM
    Nice, jm. :P

Very true, though. I didn't realize how much I'd miss having a cameraphone till I got this one.

07-09-09 08:22 PM
    good times.
    07-13-09 02:07 PM
    but what am i gonna do with all of these stupid accessories i bought?
    07-13-09 08:58 PM
    I love your keyboard
    But your paltry memory
    Drove me to drink more
    07-13-09 09:58 PM
    I picked up a tour for my wife yesterday and after a day at our local amusement park; my 8830 running .160 hybrid so far has better battery life, better signal strength, loads web pages just as fast and locked onto satellites faster using blackberry maps. This was no scientific test...just me spending 11 hours with two blackberries in my pocket walking around the park. My 8830 is on BES and my wife's tour is on BIS... and I'm not sure if that would make much of a difference. The only difference that's noticeable between the two phones as far as I'm concerned so far is the smaller form factor in the Tour and a camera.

ljay
    07-14-09 12:02 AM
    I will stay with the lady I came in with ! The 8830 is wonderful. I did have the Curve, and while it has more memory, and may last longer , and have more Apps...My 8830 is the one I returned to. I can live with the Battery life (which isn't too bad. The Loosing memory which upsets me, but she is still my lady, the first one I go to when I need to "talk" She tries, and I know she cares.....
    Seriously, today my eyes wandered to the Tour.. A magnificent piece of communication medium ! The style, the panache, the general good-feeling while holding her. BUT...my current lady cannot be replaced just yet. She is loyal, beautiful and knows my idiosyncrocies, and works with me in getting all my needs in order and accomplished. No, I am not and cannot be through with my 8830. Not now......I am loyal
    07-14-09 06:26 PM
    Not giving up my 8830 anytime soon. Its my first BB and even though the keys are starting to show signs of wear and several other quirks, likke randomly freezing at times, its still a great phone. That and can't afford to upgrade lol
    07-15-09 12:55 AM
    Sigh, it seems like only yesterday that the 8830 was the sleekest, most modern phone I'd ever seen! I think I'll keep him for a bit (at least until I go play with the Tour and get hooked)...
    07-15-09 09:01 AM
    And you will get hooked, because I said the same thing (sticking with the 8830). The tour is awesome.

07-15-09 09:02 AM
    Nice thread guys, yeah I think the 8830 is really a trusty device overall, but man it does need way more memory. I have to say, it's the easiest keyboard for me to type on.

The Tour is nice, but I still had a difficult time with its keyboard at the store, using their demo unit... so no Tour upgrade for me..... yet.
    07-16-09 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD