Posted in another forum, but no answers:

Thought I was done with all the world traveling. We bought in FL and go there for long weekends during the winter. Sold my unlocked quad-band phone.

Now the guys have booked a golf trip to Scotland in July.

Will the 8830 work with no additional calls to Verizon when I leave or will I have to advise Verizon of my leaving the US and pay some exhorbirant rate for calling?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Harold
    01-31-08 05:46 PM
    You'll have to switch to the Global Data plan for $64.99. Get a Verizon SIM card. All your voice calls will be at $1.29 a minute.

Check out https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=qoBXi5M_
    01-31-08 05:58 PM
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    02-01-08 08:02 AM
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    Not a problem. I forgot to mention to have I-DIAL added to the account, but I am sure you saw that on the website.
    02-01-08 08:15 AM
    will probably just get them to give me the new account and pro-rate it for the 2 weeks in Scotland and pay the $1.29 per minute.

Used to just buy a SIM in the country we were visiting and use it to call home.

Again, thanks.
    02-01-08 08:26 AM
    If you don't care about the data part on the 8830, you can call Verizon 800-711-8300 to have it unlocked and just pop in a local SIM card from Scotland when you get there.
    02-01-08 08:32 AM
    I was just in Edinburgh, Scottland over the new years for 9 days and the data plan NEVER worked. Don't bother even getting it. The phone worked with a sim card and txt messages too, but not a TRACE of data. I had expected to send e-mails and check the web, but no dice.

Just an FYI, when they tell you the data plan will work in other countries, take that with a grain of salt.

I was also in Frankfurt and London's airports and it data never worked their either.

Verizon refunded me $50 though so I'm not all that mad.

I bought the SIM card directly from Verizon and activated it before I left.
    02-01-08 12:41 PM
    That suks.

Why should I have a global BB without any date transfer?

I guess I will do what I did it Italy. Buy a prepaid phone card and call (it seemed like hours) for 5 Euro.
    02-01-08 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD