Took me a while to solve the ringer volume problem but found this posted and wanted to share as it corrected the problem.

For all of you who, like me, had a large problem with the ringer volume, follow these steps to solve this issue:

1. From main menu, select "Profiles" (icon looks like a speaker)

2. In Profiles, select "Advanced"

3. Select "Loud" profile

4. Select "Phone" from list

5. Under "Out of Holster", select "Volume" (which is probably set at "Medium" from factory) and change to "High"

6. Repeat Step 5 above for "In Holster" volume setting.

7. Press Blackberry key and select "Save".

With this new setting, if you set your Profile to "Loud", you will get a perfectly acceptable ring volume from this phone. Why Blackberry sets the "Loud" profile to a volume of "Medium" is beyond me, but this setting should solve your problem. I have found the ringtone "ringer_classic" to be the loudest for the handset.
    01-14-08 09:27 PM
    Took me a while to solve the ringer volume problem but found this posted and wanted to share as it corrected the problem.

For all of you who, like me, had a large problem with the ringer volume, follow these steps to solve this issue:

3. Select "Loud" profile

5. Under "Out of Holster", select "Volume" (which is probably set at "Medium" from factory) and change to "High"

With this new setting, if you set your Profile to "Loud", you will get a perfectly acceptable ring volume from this phone. Why Blackberry sets the "Loud" profile to a volume of "Medium" is beyond me, but this setting should solve your problem. I have found the ringtone "ringer_classic" to be the loudest for the handset.
    hehe, I think most of the people who are having a problem here are having the problem because the "loud" setting is not loud enough.
    01-15-08 05:27 PM
    uuumm I don't think so. This doesn't do jack.
    01-15-08 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the clear directions, well done, it helped me out.
    01-15-08 06:08 PM
    hehe, I think most of the people who are having a problem here are having the problem because the "loud" setting is not loud enough.
    Yeah, that.
    01-15-08 07:49 PM
    thankyou didnt know how to do it
    01-15-08 09:42 PM
    that does help a little thanks
    01-16-08 08:30 AM
    Take no offense, but I'm really amazed on how many people don't read the manual for these phones. I knew immediatly when I tried to adjust my volume out of the box with the up/down controls on the side that obviously the BB was built by "non phone" people. Decided it would be a good idea to bust out the manual and go through it. There's a lot of stuff in there that "cell phone common sense" won't alow you to do because it's done differently.

RIM's website is filled with a PDF for each phone that's very detailed for all these functions. Give it a read.
    01-16-08 09:38 AM
    Take no offense, but I'm really amazed on how many people don't read the manual for these phones. I knew immediatly when I tried to adjust my volume out of the box with the up/down controls on the side that obviously the BB was built by "non phone" people. Decided it would be a good idea to bust out the manual and go through it. There's a lot of stuff in there that "cell phone common sense" won't alow you to do because it's done differently.

RIM's website is filled with a PDF for each phone that's very detailed for all these functions. Give it a read.
    As we say at work.....
    RTFM (Read the F***n Manual!) LOL...
    01-17-08 08:50 PM

3. Select "Loud" profile

This doesn't do a thing. The problem with the ring volume is simple. When you play mp3s in the audio player, it comes out of both speakers, and is very loud. However, when the same file is used as a ringer, it only plays out of one speaker, and is soft. This is ridiculous. It's a simple fix, and I can't believe Verizon hasn't done anything about it, and fails to acknowledge the problem.
    01-19-08 02:20 PM
    I have my ringer volume set as follows: "Normal", and then under "Advanced" - "Phone" I set the active profile to "Low". It is still about four times louder than I can stand. As far as I can tell (and according to the tech people here at Texas Instruments where I work) there is no lower setting for the volume. Same with the person from T-Mobile who tried to help, although she didn't sound like she knew what she was talking about. Even when I select "Escalating" it starts off way too loud. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    02-29-08 11:45 AM
    I have done several things that appear to fix this issue as my ringtones are very loud now...

1. Go to ringtones...click on any ringtone to play it from your bb...once it is playing up the volume and exit. Default ringtone volume is medium.

2. Go to profiles...scroll down choose advanced/loud/one by one choose brower/calendar/level 1 messages/etc and set volume to loud appropriately for "out of holster" and "in holster"...save changes...should be good to go

I have three kids and with all of the noise my phone rings very loud. I did this to my husband's bb to fix his volume problem also
    02-29-08 04:56 PM
    I'm new here but I too have been frustrated with the ringer volume being too low.

Today I spent an hour on the phone with RIM and finally got some clarification. It appears that all users on CDMA are having this same issue. Supposedly, the CDMA phones have all had the ringers set low/reduced by CDMA. The users with SIM cards dont have the problem (according to RIM). There is no fix nor will there be as long as CDMA has set and controls this ringer volume. It kinda reminds me of the GPS feature with Verizon being disabled and beyond our control...I don't like the idea that they can decide if my ringer is too loud and reduce it...

Thats just what I have been told...
    02-29-08 09:00 PM
    ^^^ I just looked at my QPST backup file and the CDMA volume controls are not even set, which means the above is not true. Not only that, but the stock ringers are plenty loud. The issues only arise from MP3s being used as ringtones. Also, I just touched a SunCom Pearl today and it had the same low MP3 as ringtones volume issues. That phone is GSM w/SIM card. These are my findings.
    02-29-08 10:45 PM
    I use the stock ringers and cant hear them...I miss lots of calls...

Just telling you what RIM was saying...CDMA regulating the volumes.
    03-01-08 08:27 AM
    I use the stock ringers and cant hear them...I miss lots of calls...

Just telling you what RIM was saying...CDMA regulating the volumes.
    If that were true, then why isn't the 7130 or the Pearl suffering from this problem. Sound like passing the buck to me.
    03-01-08 11:08 AM
    Sounds more like an uninformed RIM tech person speaking out his you know what.
    03-01-08 01:18 PM
    I'm new here but I too have been frustrated with the ringer volume being too low.

Today I spent an hour on the phone with RIM and finally got some clarification. It appears that all users on CDMA are having this same issue. Supposedly, the CDMA phones have all had the ringers set low/reduced by CDMA. The users with SIM cards dont have the problem (according to RIM). There is no fix nor will there be as long as CDMA has set and controls this ringer volume. It kinda reminds me of the GPS feature with Verizon being disabled and beyond our control...I don't like the idea that they can decide if my ringer is too loud and reduce it...

Thats just what I have been told...
    I too was told by Blackberry that this is a CDMA regulation. I have since contact CDMA, and the person I spoke to was quite surprised that Blackberry is telling me that, as they are sure that CDMA would not regulate volume, but they are looking into it. I think that this is a problem with Blackberry, and I encourage everyone to contact the CEO, Micheal Lazaridis and leave him a voice mail. His number is 519-888-7465 Ext. 82828.
    03-05-08 11:02 AM
    RIM's probably been contacted so many times about ringer volume and GPS issues on the 8830 they are starting to be like Verizon..... just say whatever comes to mind in a calm voice and if the customer calls your bluff act stupid and surprised.
    03-05-08 03:49 PM
    I'm so frustrated with the volume on mine, I'm breaking my contract with Verizon and going over to AT&T to get a Curve. From what I've heard, it's only the 8830 WE that is having volume problems. People I know with other types of BlackBerry's are having no problems at all. But I've missed so many calls and have tried everything and I'm just sick of it.
    03-05-08 03:59 PM
    "I'm so frustrated with the volume on mine, I'm breaking my contract with Verizon and going over to AT&T to get a Curve. From what I've heard, it's only the 8830 WE that is having volume problems. People I know with other types of BlackBerry's are having no problems at all. But I've missed so many calls and have tried everything and I'm just sick of it. "

That is the response they are looking for! All part of their evil corporate master plan to sell more BB's!
    03-10-08 08:55 AM
    I'm so frustrated with the volume on mine, I'm breaking my contract with Verizon and going over to AT&T to get a Curve. From what I've heard, it's only the 8830 WE that is having volume problems. People I know with other types of BlackBerry's are having no problems at all. But I've missed so many calls and have tried everything and I'm just sick of it.
    If you're not too particular about what your ringer sounds like. Visit the thread in my signature. It's a quick fix for it.
    03-10-08 12:43 PM
    I have done several things that appear to fix this issue as my ringtones are very loud now...

1. Go to ringtones...click on any ringtone to play it from your bb...once it is playing up the volume and exit. Default ringtone volume is medium.

2. Go to profiles...scroll down choose advanced/loud/one by one choose brower/calendar/level 1 messages/etc and set volume to loud appropriately for "out of holster" and "in holster"...save changes...should be good to go

I have three kids and with all of the noise my phone rings very loud. I did this to my husband's bb to fix his volume problem also
    This doesn't actually work when the phone rings. I've adjusted all the ringtones to their highest output and they are very loud when you play them. As one of the replies above suggested, they are evidently playing through both speakers as MP3 files when accessed this way. Alas, when the phone rings, they are still quite soft and easy to miss, evidentlyplaying through only one speaker. (An exception here seems to be the "Classic" ring, which is pretty ugly anyway.) I wonder if there is an actual engineering reason for the difference or just bad planning? Anyway, it's the phone and the software on the phone, not the carrier.
    03-10-08 04:14 PM
    The ringer with an mp3 is very low....even the stock ringtones are very low. Tried changing the settings in the profile area and I STILL MISS CALLS!!!!! This phone is the only phone i've ever had problems with a ringer being too low...Normally the ringer is TOO LOUD. The most expensive phone I've ever owned has the worst ringer!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    03-10-08 06:49 PM
    I was told by an Alltel Tech over the weekend that they are working on an up date to fix the ringer problem. I asked when it would be out and he would not commit to a time frame. I ask would it be 2 months and he said a lot sooner then that. BB users would get a text message when it comes out. I am waiting.
    03-10-08 08:20 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD