Hey everyone, if somebody could help me with this it'd be great. I just made one super thread, rather then several tiny ones. I recently moved to the UK, and I found a blackberry plan with 50 megs for 5 pounds. And knowing that you can e-mail a non-smart phone (though 1234567890@ vtext.com as an example) and it'll come up as a text message, and they can text my e-mail and it comes though, providing free text messages to all my friends and family at home.

However I am encountering a few annoyinces, and wondering if anybody had a remedy.
    *First, when you type in somebody's name on the main screen, when you highlight their name, it automatically skips down the the phone number, causeing many expencive accidental cross atalntic phone calls. Is there anyway to have the blackberry either not automatically jump down, or add the e-mail the natural selection.
    *The next problems have to do mostly with the 160 character limit on sending texts. Since the blackberry thinks the texts are e-mails it always doubles the text as the subject and the text, making it nessicarry for me to delete the entire subject in order to have enough characters to send a meaningful text. Can I stop the blackberry from assuming this is the subject of the e-mail?
    *Also pertaining to the lmited characters, another reason I cannot hit reply is the "original message" under it. This cannot be deleated, and is often more then 160 characters itself. Is there anyway to turn off the "original message" at the bottom of e-mails?
    *Another item with the character, is there any way to check characters or add a counter similar to that when texting from the blackberry, to the e-mail? When sending e-mails the 160 is shortened by the length of the e-mail address, and some are very short, it would be nice to check another way then counting. The message will deliver but just cut a large chunk of the text without letting me or the other person know.

*Solved* On an unrelated note. I attempted to downlaod the new messenger, however, when I left appworld to check an email and came back to the app it continues to say (starting download) but the data on my blackberry is shrinking rather quick, its a 2.8 meg program, I started off with 11, then it went to 8.1, then 5, and now its at 3.4 megs left. Is there anyway to stop this runaway downloading and deleate the files?

EDIT: ^ upgraded to the new app world, I dont have any of the blackberry messenger data on my phone, and my memory is up to 13 MB. Seems to be solved, but annoying that I need to download it ota again!

EDIT2: Downloading the new messenger worked fine.
    Last edited by Jbeck6; 10-10-09 at 01:41 PM.
    10-10-09 12:17 PM
    You can remove the original message in a reply by using the free utility "Forward, Reply, and Edit," by bberryapp.com. It might help in your situation. The 160-char limit on text messages can be worked around by using "Beyond160." The BlackBerry will by default use the same address for a contact that you used previously. I'm not sure why you are getting phone numbers instead of email addresses.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 06:57 AM
    You can remove the original message in a reply by using the free utility "Forward, Reply, and Edit," by bberryapp.com. It might help in your situation. The 160-char limit on text messages can be worked around by using "Beyond160." The BlackBerry will by default use the same address for a contact that you used previously. I'm not sure why you are getting phone numbers instead of email addresses.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for the advice. The problem with the 160 isn't on my side, I can type as many charaters as I like, it's on theirs. None of these people have smart phones, just regular old phones with unlimited texts. I can e-mail their phone number from my e-mail address and it arrives as a text on their phone.

My problem is that their phone will only accept 160 characters (including my e-mail address, so really closer or 145), any subject or original message takes up the characters first, meaning if their text was 100 characters, i'll only have 10 or so left if I hit reply. Even if I create an entire new e-mail the blackberry will send out whatever I type, but I have no idea without counting each letter if I have sent 130 or one 170, and if I send 170 it just cuts the last 25, leading to many text messages that don't make sense to the reciver.

I asked about the auto choice because the if you try to type in a name, typing an "A" for instance, as you scroll through names it automatically gives a list of their numbers (or number) and the cursor selects this name. If i'm not paying perfect attention and click the number rather then the name it will call that person rather then giving me an option of what to do. I'm currently in the UK (my reason for wanting to use e-mails over texts) and each one of these "by mistake" calls costs me about $1.00. So I was asking if it was possible to when typing a name from scratch to have it not assume I want to make a call.
    10-13-09 08:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD