No noticable change in ringtones volume for me; in fact -- it SET my ringtone volume to Medium across the board, when I previously had it set for high. Perhaps this was meant to confuse us and make us think that suddenly the ringtones are louder? In any event, the only change I can see is that my pre-loaded theme now doesn't quite work right. Using the Dimension Today (I think) theme, and on the home screen where it shows the next 2 upcoming events, missed calls, new messages, etc, the first field under New Messages is always blank. Not quite something to write home about, but an eyesore nonetheless. =/
    08-06-07 10:38 AM
    Just outta curiosity shouldn't we be able to take it to a VZW rep and have them do the update?

I just got mine so nothing is really important on mine. I'd jus like to take it in, and may a rep deal with VZW crap.
    08-06-07 12:04 PM
    Just outta curiosity shouldn't we be able to take it to a VZW rep and have them do the update?

I just got mine so nothing is really important on mine. I'd jus like to take it in, and may a rep deal with VZW crap.
    I posted in the Mac forum that I found out that my local VZW won't do an OS upgrade on a BB because they fear their network would be put in danger. At first I wasn't too happy, but when they killed my daughter's KRAZR with a firmware upgrade I thought maybe I was lucky I didn't let them get their hands on my BB.

Okay, the phone is a computer. I get it but for some reason I didn't think I was going to be the SYS ADM for a phone
    08-06-07 08:50 PM
    When I try to install the update I get the message- "error reading setup initialization file". I havent been able to up date the device yet but I updated the Desktop software with no problem.
    08-06-07 08:59 PM
    where can you get wavepad?
    throw it into google, tons of places.

It only works on ringtones you downloaded, the stock ringers aren't accessable with the media manager. (at least I don't know how to get to them, they are hidden)
    08-07-07 06:44 AM
    When I try to install the update I get the message- "error reading setup initialization file". I havent been able to up date the device yet but I updated the Desktop software with no problem.
    I had this problem and finally after the third download it unpacked properly and ran. Just keep trying and hopefully you will get a good download.

Kirby
    08-07-07 07:33 AM
    I have noticed a little difference in that my signal strength does not jump around as much. It seems to be staying higher which is great considering I live in the mountains with bad signal.
    08-07-07 07:37 AM
    I posted in the Mac forum that I found out that my local VZW won't do an OS upgrade on a BB because they fear their network would be put in danger. At first I wasn't too happy, but when they killed my daughter's KRAZR with a firmware upgrade I thought maybe I was lucky I didn't let them get their hands on my BB.

Okay, the phone is a computer. I get it but for some reason I didn't think I was going to be the SYS ADM for a phone
    Haha. Let's send out Sys Admin consultation fees to Verizon to charge them for our services to fix our phones.
    08-07-07 01:45 PM
    I had this problem and finally after the third download it unpacked properly and ran. Just keep trying and hopefully you will get a good download.

Kirby
    Thank you! I down loaded 2 more times and finally got a good one.

Thanks,
    Donnie
    08-07-07 11:46 PM
    Thank you! I down loaded 2 more times and finally got a good one.

Thanks,
    Donnie
    Took my IT guy three downloads before it worked. File corruption?
    08-08-07 07:12 PM
    I finally had time to call and complain that the ringtone fix in the last OS release did nothing to increase the volume on my 8830. The Verizon CS representative, who was actually pleasant to talk with, said the increase in volume was only for the high setting. I told him that it made absolutely no difference in the volume of my high setting.

He opened a trouble ticket on it and to my amazement a few hours later a tech from RIM called me. Unfortunately, I was walking into a meeting and I did not have time to talk with him. He explained the same thing...that the louder ringtone was for the high setting only.

Again, I told him that it did not appear to work for me nor for many other folks on this forum. He told me he would escalate the issue. When I got home I had email from the RIM tech.

Although my problem has not been solved I must say this is the first time I have not been frustrated at the customer service folks for acting like notebook reading morons.

I also complained about the almost uselessness of the vibrate function. I don't know about anyone else, but when my 8830 is in the holster on my belt I just cannot feel it vibrate 95 percent of the time. With my old 7290 I never had to turn the ringer on because vibrate always alerted me.

The RIM tech told me the less vibration was by design. My reply was what good does it do to have a phone that you cannot feel and barely hear when it rings. If I am in any kind of noise environment I miss calls.

Perhaps they will have these issues fixed just in time for my contract to be up.

PS: I also complained to the Verizon CS rep about GPS. To my astonishment he told me he thought the GPS was to be unlocked in the OS just released last week. That gave me pause to actually check, but it was still not working.
    08-08-07 08:55 PM
    PS: I also complained to the Verizon CS rep about GPS. To my astonishment he told me he thought the GPS was to be unlocked in the OS just released last week. That gave me pause to actually check, but it was still not working.

LOL They don't know the difference between GPS and GSM...that's would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Kirby
    08-09-07 07:03 AM
    LOL They don't know the difference between GPS and GSM...that's would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Kirby
    They also don't know the difference between GPS and GPRS! It's pretty funny and sad that you have to teach the "tech" a little phone vocabulary.
    08-09-07 12:16 PM
    Nobody posted the listed fixes on this thread so:

fixes for the following known issues:

� Keypad Backlighting

so did the upgrade fix the backlight issue that makes it hard to read the keys in certain lighting?
    08-09-07 07:42 PM
    I didn't notice anything either in the update. Bloody verizon anyways. There customer service is horrible anyways they never have the answers.
    09-19-07 01:06 PM
    I didn't notice anything either in the update. Bloody verizon anyways. There customer service is horrible anyways they never have the answers.
    Don't you hate when somebody makes a useless post in an old thread wasting your time bringing it up to read it expecting to find a valid question or some useful new information.
    09-19-07 02:42 PM
    Don't you hate when somebody makes a useless post in an old thread wasting your time bringing it up to read it expecting to find a valid question or some useful new information.
    Haha point and case! And that goes for me too!
    09-19-07 02:58 PM
    when I downloaded this upgrade last month it made no changes to my volume. Did it change anyone volume? should I download it again? some one let me know.
    09-20-07 02:36 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD