I've noticed that when I do a battery pull that my memory starts out at like 15mb. Throughout the day after using several programs including use of the internet my memory drops below 10mb.

At this point my connection drops from 1XEV ultimately down to 1x which means I am now missing emails and the such. Does anyone else have this type of a problem?

I'm not sure my network connection degradation is linked to the memory leak but after using the internet for awhile inevitably I drop down to 1x. Any help out there?

If it matters I do have a 2gb memory card installed so I have everything saved to the memory card that I can.
    07-04-08 10:02 AM
    It sounds like you are leaving programs running in the background, instead of closing them when you're done. That's one way memory leaks during the day. Alt-Esc will tell you what's running. There are 4 programs you can't close: Messages, Call Log, Home Screen, and Browser. Also, if you use Messenger, that's a 5th. Everything else can and should be closed when you're done with it. Some programs close down badly and don't release all their memory, no matter what you do.

15MB is a reasonable amount of free memory for an 8830 with a few apps installed. If you haven't run Stoner's procedure, you should. It will help free more memory.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-04-08 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added Alt-Esc info
    07-04-08 10:26 AM
    Thanks for the help Jeff. Do you ever have a problem with your network connection dropping down to 1x and then the only way to get it back is to do a battery pull?
    07-04-08 11:31 AM
    Rarely, but it has happened. I've seen other posts about it, too. I occasionally refresh the PRL, using *22899. I'm on wap and can't see your device. If you're not on Verizon, that's probably not the right code for you. I don't know for a fact that refreshing the PRL helps the problem you're describing, but it won't hurt.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-08 11:36 AM
    Thanks for the help Jeff. Do you ever have a problem with your network connection dropping down to 1x and then the only way to get it back is to do a battery pull?
    It is recommended by Verizon that you a Software update at least once a Month by Dialing *228 and pressing option #2 to update your system.
    07-04-08 11:47 AM
    It is recommended by Verizon that you a Provisioning update at least once a Month by Dialing *228 and pressing option #1 to update your system.
    Slight correction to your post. Dialing the *228 is not really a "software" update for the phone. It's a provisioning update. Also, picking option one will also update any programming changes VZW might have made to the setup of the phone. I usually just dial *22899 and let it finish. No prompts and it's automatically doing the same thing as *228, Opt 1. Opt 2 on the choice only updates the PRL, which is just the tower roaming list. Opt 1 does both provisioning updates and PRL update as well.
    07-04-08 01:17 PM
    Well I did step 2 on Stoner's recommendation. I now have over 21 mb of free memory. Now if I could just stop it from leaking down below 10mb. I do a pretty good job of actually shutting down all apps and not leaving them running in the background.

I think my BB might be defective because if I use the internet for too long the network drops down to 1x and I can't get it back to EVDO. It looks like I might have to go get a new one.
    07-04-08 02:54 PM
    Making it a habit to empty the browser cache before you exit also helps.
    07-04-08 03:06 PM
    How exactly do I do that? I use operamini 4
    07-05-08 12:20 AM
    How exactly do I do that? I use operamini 4
    Menu/Help/About, Clear Cache.
    07-05-08 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD