I have had my 8830 for a few weeks now....i leave it on 24/7 essentially and this morning when i woke up and looked at it I noticed I had no e-mails or messages which is rare...when I attempted to go on to the internet it would not connect me.....the unit was on not frozen and i could make a call...this is the second time this has happened...i turned it off and then back on again but nothing changed...i took out the battery and put it back in and when it powered back on everything was working properly,with all my messages displaying etc......this is the second time this has happened to me and i am wondering if this is normal or if perhaps i am doing something wrong etc....i would appreciate any help or suggestions?
    03-10-08 08:42 AM
    Protocol stack failure for BES/BIS data connectivity. It happens ALOT with Sprint subscribers and very little with Verizon, but can sometimes happen. Only fix is to reboot it, either through a battery pull or the ALT+SHIFT+DEL three finger salute. I can usually get mine to do it with extended Opera Mini usage. I've about had it with RIM and their BS Blackberries and **** poor network server reliability.... waiting patiently for my next phone on VZW to be released.
    03-10-08 09:39 AM
    Go to ur connection settings and turn off the data then turn it back on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-08 09:44 AM
    Brad Pitt that doesn't work. I've had the same problem as described above and have written various threads on this issue. No one and I repeat NO ONE has the answer. Battery pulling everyday is not the answer for me. I'm very dissapointed with my 8830.
    03-10-08 10:04 AM
    Turn off the radio totally, not just the data. 9/10 times that will fix it. I find it best to wait close to a minute before turning the radio back on. 1/10 times I find myself doing the battery pull.

A real fix for this would be grand. I don't think anyone is holding their breath, though.
    03-10-08 11:11 AM
    Turn off the radio totally, not just the data. 9/10 times that will fix it. I find it best to wait close to a minute before turning the radio back on. 1/10 times I find myself doing the battery pull.

A real fix for this would be grand. I don't think anyone is holding their breath, though.
    I see your with Sprint. Turning the radio off doesn't fix it with Verizon. I'm glad you've found something that works. I swore I'd never go to AT&T but now I'm contemplating it. What is this world coming to.
    03-10-08 11:17 AM
    Other VZW users have reported the radio on/off got them back on the air... like me, at least most of the time.

The best thing would be for RIM to just admit to this problem and get a real patch out there. But, like the mp3 ringtone issue, it's not going to happen.
    03-10-08 03:10 PM
    Yeah, sometimes the radio turn off and on thing works, but I didn't mention it above because it doesn't always work so the time wasted doing that could have just been wasted doing a reboot. Also, a quick reboot fixes this as well... again, most of the time. It's rare that this happens. This is the price you pay for using a phone that works through Proxy servers for EVERYTHING it does. Being at RIM's mercy blows. Glad to say that might not be that much longer for me.
    03-10-08 11:19 PM
    The radio on/off thing works for me most of the time but I sometimes need to force register the phone via the Options->Advanced Options->Host Routing Table. I can typically tell after I turn off/on the radio whether the phone registered or not just by the activity indicators in the upper right corner. If I do not see any then forcing the phone to register does the trick. It will sometimes queues the request but eventually it goes through. I don't think doing a battery pull all the time is a good thing although I am sure there are folks here would disagree with me.

The problem I have is I live in an area where the towers are pretty far away so the phone tower hops all the time. I suspect the phone just stops trying because it can not stay connected for very long to one tower. Least, that is my guess.

I called 611 the first time it happened and when I got to a blackberry tech they observed I was tower hopping so first approach to solve the problem was remove the battery and reinsert it. After 8830 was back up they asked if it was working and I said yup, they said good thanks for calling, good bye. The thought running threw my mind was, I'm am NOT going to be yanking the battery evertime this thing acts up, it defeats the purpose of having it! If I did it again, I was going toss this thing in the trash. So far, that is the only time I have pulled the battery out.
    03-11-08 07:28 PM
    Alright so as far as I can tell this is what to do next time I lose my network connection (in this order):
    1. Turn radio on/off
    2. "Register Now" (Host Routing Table)
    3. Three finger salute
    4. Battery pull

Does that sound about right?
    03-11-08 07:59 PM
    vzw said it was a software issue at first and that they had quite a few 8830 with the "data lock" issue. ended up swapping mine out last weekend. Worked fine for 4 months then it suddenly started. We'll see how long this one lasts.
    03-11-08 09:17 PM
    I reported this a while back...In addition to turning the radio on and off and pulling the battery, I had to manually re-enter my passwords on the bis.na..blackberry.com website.

To my further irking, I found the passwords on the website weren't being saved for each account, but rather taking the last one entered.

My solution was to go into the email settings and enter the p/w info. That solved it and haven't had an issue since. I also documented it and sent it off to VZW.

-James
    03-11-08 10:03 PM
    Does this happen with older BlackBerry's? (8700 or earlier?) If not, then yeah we can make a strong arguement that it is indeed a OS/software issue. A update should be able to fix it right? I don't know why RIM doesn't just release an update because it ONLY affects 8830 handhelds as far as I know (know quite a few who have Curve's and the Pearl 2 and NONE have any problems we 8830 users are having.) Though I haven't experienced some of the problems you guys are having, I can see how fusterating it can be. I guess for all who are annoyed with their handheld, wait until the new OS (4.5?) gets released and go from there...
    03-12-08 12:03 AM
    I still get this issue from time to time. I usually have to "pull out the battery" every other day, knowing that I haven't rec any emails... once the BB gets rebooted, I get tons of backed up emails.
    03-12-08 04:07 AM
    Alright so as far as I can tell this is what to do next time I lose my network connection (in this order):
    1. Turn radio on/off
    2. "Register Now" (Host Routing Table)
    3. Three finger salute
    4. Battery pull

Does that sound about right?

I think just step 1 is all you'll need to do and then go to step 2 and wait till you get the message that indicates you are registered on the network. If it does not come in after about 5 minutes and you have a good network connection I would do a battery pull. I personally have not had to do this though.

If you do step 1 and notice that the radio never shuts off. You don't see the word off next to the antenna symbol in the upper righthand corner when the radio is turned off, then you will probably need to go to step 4 and do a battery pull. The OS is out to lunch and it needs to be reset. At which point I would inform the phone of the concequences of having to do this and what would happen if you ever had to do this again. It work for me!
    03-12-08 11:18 PM
    I love the device but I am on my second one and both of them unfortunately seem to lose the network signal every day or every other day necessitating my taking the battery out and putting it back in and then waiting for it to boot up again etc.....there has to be a better solution?
    03-13-08 04:55 PM
    I have a curve and have been fighting with it for the past week. I have have to turn the radio on every day for some reason. Sometimes pulling the battery doesn't work. 2 days ago Vz wiped my handset and yesterday they resent service books twice. This am I was back to have to manually turn on the radio. Should I swap out for a new handset?

09-03-08 11:55 AM
    I have a curve and have been fighting with it for the past week. I have have to turn the radio on every day for some reason. Sometimes pulling the battery doesn't work. 2 days ago Vz wiped my handset and yesterday they resent service books twice. This am I was back to have to manually turn on the radio. Should I swap out for a new handset?

The issue discussed in this thread does not apply to your phone. Totally different phone and slightly different issue. The Sprint connectivity issues have been fixed by a more recent OS release. What you're seeing is a new issue and only with the Curve 8330 from Verizon. Dial *22899 and let it full provision, it'll hang up by itself when done and tell you it was successful. Battery pull after that. See how it does for 24 hours. If you still experience data drops, exchange the phone for a new one if you're within 30 days. If you're over that, be prepared to get a refurbished phone instead of a new one. (New ones are only given out within the first 30 days.) Get it swapped in person at a corporate store if you're within 30 days. The policy is to swap it out onsite with a new unit. Make sure you take everything that came with your in... box, cables, books, plastic, etc.
    09-03-08 03:46 PM
    Thanks. I am within my 30 days still. I will do that*22899 as a new try. Sorry I posted in the wrong forum. It looked like the same issue and I thought my search had me in the right place.

09-03-08 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD