Great info here thanks for posting

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 01:24 AM
    I haven't seen this problem posted here yet.

I recently noticed that all of my appointments in Outlook Calendar, dating back as far as 2007, are completely GONE. Coincidentally, I tried downloading Google Calendar Sync a few weeks ago, then read online about all serious problems where Google erased Calendar appointments. So, I uninstalled Google, and yet, the problem still exists, verrrrrry frustrating. Spent 1/2 hour on the phone w/VW CS, (total waste of time,) then another 1/2 hour w/BB CS, they finally said it's not them, it's me. "Repaired" Outlook 2007, uninstalled/reinstalled BB desktop 4/7, am already running 4.5.0.77 on the 8830. Sync is configured two-way, and should be transferring ALL items forever. Appointments continue to disappear, and my work life doesn't exist past last week. (I wish Apple made Blackberry's)

Anyone else?
    03-22-09 05:50 PM
    I am looking into getting an 8830WE for Sprint. I have the 8130, so I am not really in a rush. Just a few questions. I see that this is a majority VZW thread, "Can YOu Hear Me Now?", but this is a Sprint question. Does this phone operate on a sim card for sprint? In other words, is it required to have a Sprint Sim card to operate or is the sim card slot empty?

I just doing some random thoughts....I have a Storm that I don't use for VZW, I use it internationally, just wondering if Sprint had some form of Sim card that I could try and put in the Storm and have the forst BB Storm on Sprint. Like I said, just thoughts....

Thanks for the info.
    03-23-09 09:42 PM
    I am looking into getting an 8830WE for Sprint. I have the 8130, so I am not really in a rush. Just a few questions. I see that this is a majority VZW thread, "Can YOu Hear Me Now?", but this is a Sprint question. Does this phone operate on a sim card for sprint? In other words, is it required to have a Sprint Sim card to operate or is the sim card slot empty?

I just doing some random thoughts....I have a Storm that I don't use for VZW, I use it internationally, just wondering if Sprint had some form of Sim card that I could try and put in the Storm and have the forst BB Storm on Sprint. Like I said, just thoughts....

Thanks for the info.
    The sim card slot will be empty if you use the 8830 in the US. You'll need a SIM card for use on GSM frequencies in Europe. Mine came with one, but I don't travel overseas and have never removed it from the box. The 8830 does not operate on US GSM frequencies and cannot be modified to do so.

03-23-09 09:59 PM
    Thanks for the reply.....
    After doing some deep thinking on "The Throne"....LOL I realized that it would not work anyway because the Storm does not need the VZW sim card to operate. When I got it, it was in there so therefore I thought it did, but after doing a little this and that, I realized that it does not need it at all and if Sprint had a sim card that I could put into it, that would not work because the card is CDMA and the card reader would read GSM only.

I love when I answer my own questions! LOL
    Anybody know what is the newest BB that is going to go to Sprint and when? Sprint is like VZW's stepchild......We might just get the leftovers from dinner!
    03-23-09 11:05 PM
    need to know how to make my 8830 WE by sprint work here in my contry argentina, its supouse to be unlock , but is not, could you tell me how to do it.
    Thanks !!!
    F
    04-03-09 09:12 PM
    I put the sim card of my local provider in argentina and the phone read I was able also to pass the contact to my BB, that means the sim card is unlock in my phone, the problem seem to be the device did not detect any network, here in argentina we have 850/1900 Mhs.
    Help!!!!!
    thanks
    F
    04-04-09 09:45 AM
    Is there a simple way to create a message on VM that says "This is me-leave a message". I don't want to give all of the options that it does now.Thanks
    04-14-09 02:27 PM
    I've read thought the F&Q and I am just as confused. Why do I have to go back to the service provider to unlock my phone. That's why a came here?
    I have a 8830 World on Verizon and want to use a Rogers Canadian GSM SIM. When I put the SIM in it say "invalid SIM" How do I unlock without going back the the Verizon store??
    06-17-09 10:31 AM
    The GSM radio in an 8830 uses European GSM frequencies, which are different from North American GSM frequencies. You won't be able to use your 8830 on Rogers' GSM, unlocked or not.

06-17-09 10:36 AM
    Wow, Thanks for this Jeff. Who would have thought that BB wouldn't use a quad band radio for a WORLD phone.
    06-17-09 12:15 PM
    It's a World phone in the sense that it's CDMA in N. America and GSM in Europe. It's not like the Storm, which can be unlocked and used on N. American GSM frequencies. That the Storm is more "Worldly" probably reflects RIM's coming to your point of view.

06-17-09 03:19 PM
    so your telling me i can't use an 8830 on t mobile if its unlocked please tell me i can
    09-06-09 05:44 PM
    so your telling me i can't use an 8830 on t mobile if its unlocked please tell me i can
    I'm sorry, but no. You can't use an 8830 on US GSM frequencies and no reputable dealer should have sold you one for that purpose. If you bought it from someone who didn't know what you intended to do with it, then hopefully you can sell it to someone who can use it on a CDMA carrier.

09-06-09 06:01 PM
    ok cool well i have verizon so maybe they can switch my iphone over to this phone
    09-06-09 06:37 PM
    ok cool well i have verizon so maybe they can switch my iphone over to this phone

my only question is why would the lady at t-mobile tell me they could configure my phone to work with their company over the phone if they can't
    09-06-09 07:44 PM
    my only question is why would the lady at t-mobile tell me they could configure my phone to work with their company over the phone if they can't
    She was mistaken. I recently enountered a Verizon salesperson who didn't know the 8830 could not be used on US GSM frequencies either.
    09-06-09 08:48 PM
    OK. The title of this thread is 8830 FAQ - Read First but it seems to mostly be about unlocking the 8830WE, so if this isn't the right place to post this, I apologize. I am also sorry for the length.

Background:
    I'm trying to set up Desktop Manager 5 after several other problems with older versions (both 4.2 and 4.7).
    The computer is running Vista Business (32-bit if that matters), Office Pro 2003 (don't ask), and the phone is 4.5.0.138. The Exchange server is 2007, with BES, but because of how the organization is structured (large university), we don't have the option of using the BES, so this user is sync'ing email over BIS and using DM to sync contacts/calendar.

unrelated? It's a Verizon device.

Problem:
    The problem is that DM (4.x) has had intermittent problems failing with an unknown error when syncing the calendar. I was able to work around this by removing a log file or configuration file, then reconnecting it to the PC, which recreated the file(s). With 5, it just fails with an unexpected error, and it never gets to the contacts or calendar before failing.

It's been suggested that one or more of the calendar entries is corrupt, but I have my doubts about that because the problem was there before the univeristy upgraded from Exchange 2003 to 2007, and the upgrade should have fixed any data corruption when it was migrated. Plus it was an inconsistent problem (maybe once every 2 weeks, sync'ing almost daily). Now with 5.0, I can't get it to complete a sync at all.

Any thoughts?

I've also been looking in to a 3rd party solution, such as AstraSync, so the DM would be eliminated completely from the data sync side (but would be used for device updates). Anyone with experience with this type of product?
    09-10-09 01:48 PM
    hi all. my 8830 can read composite unicode website, but i wonder if anyone can make it read other unicode. in my country all web don't use composite unicode. anyone can help me. plz.
    thanks in advance. (sr for my bad english).
    09-17-09 11:13 PM
    I do believe that after someone has posted cure or a comment which they would know of the contents first hand, should remove this if possible once they have updated information or have learnt of new info that has now made their helpful caring input redundant so as to not confuse issues.

I do believe that we should have updated info and delete that which no longer applies.

Just my little 2 cents and observation.
    thank you
    03-17-10 09:46 PM
    Is it possible to change the 8830 GSM frequency to the AT&T 850/1900?
    03-19-10 03:39 PM
    Is it possible to change the 8830 GSM frequency to the AT&T 850/1900?
    No. The 8830 can only be used on European GSM frequencies or North American CDMA frequencies. It is not possible to convert it to North American GSM frequencies.
    03-19-10 03:45 PM
    Yes, Yes, and yes. I know for a fact you can use a cdma phone on another network. I have a sprint BB 8830 WE and I am using it on the boost mobile network.
    03-25-10 03:59 PM
    Yes, Yes, and yes. I know for a fact you can use a cdma phone on another network. I have a sprint BB 8830 WE and I am using it on the boost mobile network.
    It does help that Boost is using Sprint's network,
    03-25-10 06:07 PM
    No one said you cannot use a CDMA phone on another network. But you cannot use an 8830 on North American GSM frequencies. That is physically impossible. You are using your Sprint 8830 on CDMA, not GSM.
    03-25-10 06:46 PM
142 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD