02-07-13 05:50 AM
142 ... 23456
tools
    I spoke with a tec at BB and he told me this, the phones are the same the only "catch" is that to use a sprint 8830 on VZW , the ESN would have to be added in the computer database so they can provision your device for all the features... on the other netwerk.

the companies dont usually do this because they have agreement with BB and its about revenue and making you buy another phone.

the whole process is shady, really think about it...
    all the restrictions, no roll over minutes, they round up when taking your minutes... so if you have 600 calls and avg a .5 roundup per call ... thats 300 minutes... and that is MeGA overage charges.

the other game is .... the price of the phone is over inflated, but made to look like you get a deal with a 2 year activation...
    if we had smarter consumers and more awareness... you guys wouldnt be pushed like cows...

Understanding the difference between GSM and CdMA and the different frequencies, one can accept some incompatibilities between networks.

what sucks is that VZW is getting the thunder and the iphone before sprint and all sprint gets is 'some' of the HTC products and ... um the samsung instinct.

this whole thing is a joke.. I would first like to see a class action suit on apple for handcuffing you to a contract before you can walk out the door with a shinny new iphone and if you get denied for service , then no phone.

this is fundamentally wrong.

people unite... lets do something about this... right now stand up..

huh whats that..? feeding time? (chewing cud)

-moooo
    Last edited by derryberry; 10-04-08 at 02:17 AM. Reason: typrrr , typo
    10-04-08 02:14 AM
    Being new to this site...

I have the 8830 W/Ed. and had a problem with the charging jack...they replaced it with a brand new 8830 (VERIZON) w/ updated software...is this phone "unlocked" like my old one which i had in good standing for well over 1 year?

-if i have unlimited data plan, does it 100% cover yahoo go 3.0?
    -is there a way to listen to Sirius (Howard esp.), w/ headphones? (FREE?) i work outside so not near my PC for ORB.
    would slingbox work to watch sports?

thanks a lot for your help!

eck
    Last edited by Eclectik1; 10-26-08 at 02:52 PM.
    10-26-08 02:46 PM
    hi, i recently got a sprint blackberry 8830 and I live in a country where we use a GSM network, how can I use my USA blackberry in a GSM network, do I need a code for unlock or not, because I put it a new GSM chip and dosen't work .. thanks
    10-31-08 02:50 PM
    I'm trying to change my e-mail signature. I know, there are instructions all over these forums how to do that. The problem is on my device there is no option for signatures. So I have to go online to an account to get it changed. I keep seeing references to the Blackberry Account sign-up page to either sign in or set up an account. I put in the PIN and ESN but it tells me there is already an account for this PIN. So just on the off-chance I previously created an account I asked for the lost password for this PIN and it tells me there is no account.

Suggestions that don't involve a hammer?
    12-02-08 11:29 AM
    After further checking, Blackberry tells me to contact my service provider. I'll report back.
    12-02-08 12:10 PM
    I'm trying to change my e-mail signature. I know, there are instructions all over these forums how to do that. The problem is on my device there is no option for signatures. So I have to go online to an account to get it changed. I keep seeing references to the Blackberry Account sign-up page to either sign in or set up an account. I put in the PIN and ESN but it tells me there is already an account for this PIN. So just on the off-chance I previously created an account I asked for the lost password for this PIN and it tells me there is no account.

Suggestions that don't involve a hammer?
    Are you a BES user? If you don't know, don't worry about it, you're not. But I am, and I get the same results you get. It won't let me create an account because it says one exists, but when I ask for the password for that account by pin, it says there's no account. I asssumed it was because my BIS access is provided thru my BES account. That's why I wondered if you are also BES.
    12-02-08 01:21 PM
    I'm not BES. I had to look that up on Wikipedia to be sure But my sign-in situation is exactly like you described. I'll check with Verizon and see if I can get some suggestions there. Thank you for responding!
    12-02-08 01:51 PM
    I found a way. I got on the Blackberry and went to the icon for "E-mail Settings". I clicked on that and then the link that says "Create new account". I already have my e-mail going to the Blackberry but did this anyway. I answered the questions and then created a UserID and a Password. The next step was to go to that Blackberry Account page that I can't link because I'm new. I put in that new UserID and Password and it brought up my e-mail accounts. From there it was easy - I just edited my e-mail and there was a box with my signature in it.

Many thanks to the thread created 4/2/08 by Ghostridin, which got me in the general area.

Curse Verizon for making it more difficult for people to remove the Verizon advertising on all e-mails!
    12-02-08 03:24 PM
    You should be able to go to that Verizon email setup page from a desktop web browser as well. That way you could have avoided setting up a dummy account on your BB8830. You could enter the url directly. You could also enter the url directly in the BB browser and skip the "email setup" icon in your apps list on your BB. Here is the link that gets you to email setup directly: BlackBerry Internet Service I see the board overrides what I type (by prefetching the page title and showing it in the link) and the only way you can see what I really mean is if I put it in as plain text ...bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw...
    Last edited by r0k; 12-05-08 at 11:39 AM.
    12-05-08 11:36 AM
    Going to be posting up a thread shortly with a link for the 4.5 upgrade for VZW
    12-06-08 02:30 PM
    I use my 8830we for "as a modem", When I download software updates I sould use Wi-Fi or save it from a 3rd party, Right??, Then usb the BB and run the software, Right??,,Thnx td
    12-13-08 11:16 AM
    Yes. If you're using your 8830 as a modem to provide internet access for your PC, you should be able to download the update to your PC, then untether, connect your 8830 via USB, and proceed with the install.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 12:11 PM
    thanks JeffH
    12-13-08 03:28 PM
    For you to get the unlock codes you need to meet one of the following criteria:
    1.) Your contract must be up
    2.) You must have paid full price for the phone
    3.) If you did not pay full price for the phone, you must pay the difference between the full price and what you paid.
    OR
    4.) Be a customer in good standing (meaning bills paid on time) for at least 60 days
    Sorry to belabor the point, as they say, of unlocking, but to clear it up for myself: to receive the unlock code, one only need meet ONE of those stipulations? I need to unlock my phone for overseas travel, but I did not pay full price for the phone (got it with a plan) and neither is my contract up. I am, however, in "good standing." So would that be reason enough for my carrier (Verizon) to unlock my phone for no charge?
    12-26-08 12:50 AM
    Sorry to belabor the point, as they say, of unlocking, but to clear it up for myself: to receive the unlock code, one only need meet ONE of those stipulations? I need to unlock my phone for overseas travel, but I did not pay full price for the phone (got it with a plan) and neither is my contract up. I am, however, in "good standing." So would that be reason enough for my carrier (Verizon) to unlock my phone for no charge?
    Having just spent some time on the phone with VZW, I can share this.

They confirmed that one needs to be running a current version of software, after v66, as stated above, otherwise they need to provide a VZW Sim Card. Since my phone is newer, they provided me with an unlock code, instructions on how to use it (a SIM card needs to be inserted and the network needs to be set to GSM to enter the unlock code, regardless of what the local network actually is - so, for example, in a CDMA country, say Japan, insert SIM card, set to GSM, enter unlock code, then set network to Global).

The only way I qualified to get an unlock code was because I have paid my bill regularly - none of the other conditions apply.

I started with local tech support, who were mostly clueless, and then got sent to Global Tech Support - very knowledgeable. VZW does have a very random rule about unlocking devices: it can only be done once per phone line every 10 months. They also make all sorts of disclaimers about not being responsible for rates or anything else once you put a third party SIM Card into the phone, but then followed that up by providing me with the international support number and saying I should not hesitate to call them if I have any problems making their SIM Card, or anyone else's work overseas.

VZW did not push very hard to sell me their international service. It is mildly attractive for outbound calling and receiving calls from the US, simple if expensive. $29.99 gets a SIM Card and calls are $1.99 per minute, inbound or outbound. You get to keep your US phone number. But that also means your phone shows up as a US phone to people calling you which is great to stay in touch with the office or home, but not so great to speak with locals who need to pay for a US call to contact you even if you are around the corner.

As a newbie to the BB and to this forum, let me say what a wonderful thing this all is. I like my BB quite a bit, particularly compared to my previous (awful) combo PDA/phones. But a lot of the value I see I will get from this device will be thanks to all the excellent information here. Am currently setting the BB up to work as a music player for my trip, and as a local phone in Asia. Very cool.

Will try to pay back with more info as I go, but thanks to all here. And as of this moment in time, at the very end of 2008, the above represents what one person at Verizon was saying.
    12-29-08 04:49 PM
    Just to confirm one detail - since Verizon says CDMA roaming is available in Japan, that also means a local CDMA Sim Card should work in my phone, correct? And since Hong Kong uses the proper GSM frequency, 900/1800, I should be able to get a GSM Sim Card there that works fine, right?

Thanks.
    12-29-08 05:00 PM
    Just to confirm one detail - since Verizon says CDMA roaming is available in Japan, that also means a local CDMA Sim Card should work in my phone, correct? And since Hong Kong uses the proper GSM frequency, 900/1800, I should be able to get a GSM Sim Card there that works fine, right?

Thanks.
    CDMA does not use SIM cards just GSM.
    12-29-08 08:16 PM
    I have successfully unlocked my Vzw 8830 WE.

when traveling to France and England I would like to know GSM cell providers service both the data/internet AND the voice capabilities of my Blackberry.

So far SFR in France and Vodaphone in the UK have told me they can only support the phone portions of my device.

Does anyone know of the names of providers in the UK and/France that support the data portions, along with the phone portions of my 8830 WE?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

PS I have closed out the Vzw acct and intend to sign up for a long term European plan so i don't need pay as you go.

thanks again for any help on this you can provide.
    Last edited by Grifter3000; 12-30-08 at 07:26 PM. Reason: forgot to include some final thoughts
    12-30-08 06:29 PM
    Hii there... Im new and have no idea if this is possible or not but i have a 8830 blackberry which is on Bell Canada's network and my sim card is for Fido. Is it possible to obtain codes to unlock the phone?

Someone PLZ help... Thanksss
    01-08-09 12:24 AM
    ...Is it possible to obtain codes to unlock the phone?...
    The process for unlocking the GSM side of the 8830 is explained in the Unlocking thread that's stickied at the top of the 8830 forum, just below this thread.
    01-08-09 07:22 AM
    DEAR I GOT TO KNOW THAT 8830 WE CAN BE UNLOCKED TO GET IT WORK ON OTHER CDMA NETWORKS, U CAN CHECK TAHT WITH A GUY CELLING THIS PHONE ONLINE AT cellwalla
    01-16-09 03:29 AM
    How do I unlock sprint, Bb8830 WE? Will I be able to use it with other US carrier?
    01-30-09 03:31 PM
    How do I unlock sprint, Bb8830 WE? Will I be able to use it with other US carrier?
    Basically, you can't. Verizon sells the 8830 as well, so there's no reason for them to allow you to buy your phone from Sprint and use it on their network, when you can buy the same phone from them. As for the GSM side, the 8830 is a world phone. The GSM frequencies in the 8830 are not the same as US GSM frequencies, so the 8830 cannot be unlocked and used on AT&T, for example.

There's a stickie that explains all that at the top of the forum.
    01-30-09 03:46 PM
    Thanks for having such good info on the 8830 in one place. After searching for help with my unlocking situation, I thought you might know if there is any way for me to continue using my 8830 WE after cancelling my contract with verizon. I had verizon unlock the gsm and it worked with another carrier's sim, UNTIL I cancelled the verizon service. Now, no such luck. I want to use another sim card in it. Is there anyway that I can get the 8830 WE to do that? I already called verizon and of course they cannot help me. The sim is not from a U.S. carrier and it worked in the phone until I cancelled my verizon contract. Any advice?
    02-13-09 01:49 PM
    Need help.. newbie here...

I bought a BB8830 WE (sprint branded) UNLOCKED phone from an online retailer.. cant get a hold of their CS.. can anyone tell if my phone is in fact unlocked?? here is my settings listed :
    Under the Advanced Options>SIM>
    SIM CARD: Security Disabled
    ID: (shows an ID # 18 digits)
    SIM: disabled
    Network: active
    Network Subset: disabled
    Service Provider: disabled
    Corporate: disabled

There is a generic SIM in the slot (one that came with my phone, no brand)

I'm traveling to Thailand and the Philippines in a week and need to know if it unlocked and I can use the local sim cards for those countries.. MANY MANY thanks for all helpful input!!!
    02-14-09 06:19 PM
142 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD