02-07-13 05:50 AM
142 1234 ...
tools
    I've got a question - theres two gold things on the left side of my 8830, what are they for?!
    10-13-07 09:44 PM
    is the upgrade compatible with MACs???? if not, is there one out there?
    10-19-07 10:11 PM
    I've got a question - theres two gold things on the left side of my 8830, what are they for?!
    For a desktop charger / dock

is the upgrade compatible with MACs???? if not, is there one out there?
    Not yet....or atlest if there is I dont know about it. I have a mac too but i have to use my PC for all my crackberry upgrades.
    10-21-07 05:56 AM
    They're charging ports for the desktop dock/charger.
    10-22-07 10:18 PM
    how can i tell which version my 8830 currently has? I just got it in september and do not know which version the phone came with. Thanks
    10-25-07 10:32 AM
    how can i tell which version my 8830 currently has? I just got it in september and do not know which version the phone came with. Thanks
    Go to "options" then "about." It will tell you right there.
    10-25-07 04:36 PM
    Click on the "Options" icon on the homepag of your crackberry. Then you will see the list of things you can do. Hit the "about" option and then it should be the 3rd thing on the list after you hit "about"
    10-27-07 10:04 AM
    Ringer Volume: I saw some info that explained the ringer is louder if you use a mp3 ringtone and not either of the pre-loaded ones.

Calendar: I upgraded to 4.2.2.148 and that fixed the calendar reminders and duplications. Make sure 'Wireless Synchronization' is OFF. If you ever upgrade the OS, make sure you don't have the WE USB'd through a laptop docking station or you will become nervous when it doesn't come back up.

Worldwide reception: I've used the WE in Germany, Netherlands and Brazil so far. No problems with data or voice - Well, slight adjustment for Brazil. Had to change the network to 'GSM' from 'Global'.

I LOVE THIS THING!!!
    10-27-07 09:37 PM
    One of the biggest problems I've had with m 8830 that I have seen many other complaints on is call collision. For those of you have the problem, I found a fix. If you download the latest software from blackberry there is a patch to fix it within the upgrade! I have done this and then tried to freeze my phone by dialing out as a friend called and it flawlessly handled both calls without freezing. a little later today I will update this post with verizon's link, but if you can't wait the address is in another thread, so just search for the problem and you'll find it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-07 01:17 PM

Q.) What does the new VZW software update do?
    A.) RIM has released new software for the BlackBerry 8830. This software includes updates or
    fixes for the following known issues:

GSM to CDMA Reconnect
    Call Collision
    System Determination (GSM Mode)
    Calendar Sync Issues
    Ringer Volume
    Added Stereo Bluetooth Support - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP
    Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets
    Keypad Backlighting
    CDMA Radio Fixes
    Just wondering if this update would apply or if there's a version for my Sprint 8830. I'm already growing tired of the whisper that is the ringer.
    11-08-07 02:17 AM
    Just wondering if this update would apply or if there's a version for my Sprint 8830. I'm already growing tired of the whisper that is the ringer.
    There may be a sprint version of the update out there. Have you checked the RIM website under support?
    11-09-07 08:05 AM
    I have been trying to change the sig that the BB leaves when I send a message. I can't find a way. I have read some of the things here but it is not working. Can someone please walk me through this with some instructions? An hour and a half is way to long to try and make a change.
    11-09-07 01:51 PM
    I have been trying to change the sig that the BB leaves when I send a message. I can't find a way. I have read some of the things here but it is not working. Can someone please walk me through this with some instructions? An hour and a half is way to long to try and make a change.

Hey, Toms.

On your Home Screen, you should have an application icon for Email Settings. Looks like a globe with an envelope on my 8830w with the Verizon default theme. When you go into the app, at least for Verizon, it launches the browser to their email settings site. If you sign in, you can edit the email accounts that you have configured. You can adjust your email signature there.

Hope that helped!
    11-13-07 03:18 PM
    I hate to be redundant or a pain in the a** but I have a question and I just don't understand one thing.

Why would you want to unlock a Verizon 8830? Sprint and Alltel are the only other U.S. CDMA carriers right? And neither one will activate a Verizon phone, even unlocked right (wrong freqs)?

So does this mean that unlocking is done in order to move from a CDMA network to a GSM network and once unlocked, you can activate it with T-Mobile, Cingular, etc. on their GSM network by using one of their SIM cards?

I understand the "concept" of unlocking when dealing with a strictly GSM phone but don't get the "Why" of unlocking a CDMA unit.

Thanks in advance!

Todd
    Last edited by tkoegler; 11-13-07 at 09:14 PM.
    11-13-07 09:11 PM
    The reason people want it unlocked is so that when they travel over seas they can use a local SIM card from that country. It is much cheaper to use a local SIM card then international roaming on Verizon Wireless.
    11-13-07 09:37 PM
    I just bought a sprint 8830 and it was unlocked. However, now it is looking for a lock code at the Bell store. Any clues for me?
    11-22-07 01:53 PM
    I bought my 8830 about 1.5 months ago. Never updated. The current version is 4.2.2.66.

Other references on this forum are to the "latest" update being available as "4.2.2.142". Numerically, this is not the latest one. Is there a list of versions and their release dates anywhere?

The call collision and weak ring volume are certainly present on my phone and that's what I'd love to cure with an update, but don't want to go backwards with an experiment to see if I have the latest one on the device already.

Any specifics regarding version numbers is helpful.
    11-30-07 10:48 PM
    I am running BES for my exchange server. Do I have to update the phone (assuming there is an update newer than my current version) using the desktop manager or can it be updated using BES?
    11-30-07 10:50 PM
    . . . The current version is 4.2.2.66. Other references on this forum are to the "latest" update being available as "4.2.2.142". Numerically, this is not the latest one. Is there a list of versions and their release dates anywhere? Any specifics regarding version numbers is helpful.
    Well, I'm a newbie, but 142 is a larger number than 66. So, 142 is a later version than 66. It is like IP addresses, you have to look at the entire number after the period, not just the first digit to see which is biggest.
    12-01-07 06:48 PM
    Well, I'm a newbie, but 142 is a larger number than 66. So, 142 is a later version than 66. It is like IP addresses, you have to look at the entire number after the period, not just the first digit to see which is biggest.
    No excuse. Just a (publicly) blonde episode. I apparently was thinking in terms of string values instead of numeric. In my (goofy) logic, .66 is "bigger" than .142.

Thank you for my just deserved dose of humility. And for the answer!
    12-01-07 06:59 PM
    I have been searching and searching various sites to help with my issue to no avail... Also, forgive how I am posting my question....I'm a newbie when it comes to posting in forums!

When we are viewing the weather radar, we cannot figure out how to get the radar to animate, it is a fixed picture. Does anyone know how to get the weather radar to animate on the BB 8830 WE?
    12-03-07 12:45 PM
    I have been searching and searching various sites to help with my issue to no avail... Also, forgive how I am posting my question....I'm a newbie when it comes to posting in forums!

When we are viewing the weather radar, we cannot figure out how to get the radar to animate, it is a fixed picture. Does anyone know how to get the weather radar to animate on the BB 8830 WE?
    12-03-07 12:46 PM
    Hi!!!!
    Any luck yet to unlock the GSM part of 8830 WE. Need to travell overseas. plz help.........
    12-10-07 12:26 PM
    Hi!!!!
    Any luck yet to unlock the GSM part of 8830 WE. Need to travell overseas. plz help.........
    Contact your carrier and see if it is already unlocked or if they are willing to unlock it.
    12-10-07 12:35 PM
    The 8830 Verizon posted update resulted in total loss of incoming calls despite a soft reset and wiping the handheld. Verizon gave me a new 8830 and the results were identical. I dont know what the solution is but I lost all the software and their configurations. The backup on the 8830 only restores the database, not the third party software even if it was in the backup. Also, the incoming calls show as "unknown numbers" even if the contact was in the Blackberry address book. The calls then go directly to voicemail.
    12-16-07 09:52 AM
142 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD