Hello one and all, just signed up, followed first step to unlocking and (mepd), aqnd everything says disabled, but I put in a new sim from a different provider and it still wants to get on the old provider help pls, whats to do next. please and thank you.
    04-15-10 07:17 PM
    What phone did you unlock, who is the original provider, and whose SIM are you trying to use?
    04-15-10 07:21 PM
    Its a blackberry 8830 smartphone, from telus and I have a plan with roger I want to use,
    04-15-10 08:11 PM
    Its a blackberry 8830 smartphone, from telus and I have a plan with roger I want to use,
    I'm sorry, but the 8830 cannot be used on North American GSM carriers such as Rogers. The GSM radio in an 8830 can only be used on European GSM frequencies. There is no user mod or hack or software load or unlock that can change that fact. You can only use your 8830 on other CDMA carriers in North America.
    04-15-10 08:18 PM
    telus is north america too, same as rogers or am I wrong?
    in other word rogers is GSM and telus CDMA
    04-15-10 08:23 PM
    telus is north america too, same as rogers or am I wrong?
    in other word rogers is GSM and telus CDMA
    Correct on both counts. Telus is a North American CDMA carrier. The 8830 works on their CDMA network as a CDMA device. Rogers is a North American GSM carrier. The 8830 cannot work on their network because its GSM radio works on different frequencies than are used by North American GSM carriers.
    04-15-10 08:35 PM
    Thanks I have learnd new thing today, Thanks very much, JeffH, more power to you
    04-15-10 08:44 PM
    Q.) Can a CDMA phone be unlocked to be used on another network?
    A.) No�No�and NO. Point blank NO so quit asking.

i guess some can be programmed to be used on CDMA networks in other countries
    07-10-10 01:27 AM
    Question - I am newbie and I read all this an still not sure. I currently have Verizon service, my phone brke and contract not up until Dec (figures) my boss gave me his old blackberry 8830 WE as he got a new phone - the prior carrier on the phone was Sprint - can this be switched over to my verizon?
    08-04-10 01:52 PM
    Question - I am newbie and I read all this an still not sure. I currently have Verizon service, my phone brke and contract not up until Dec (figures) my boss gave me his old blackberry 8830 WE as he got a new phone - the prior carrier on the phone was Sprint - can this be switched over to my verizon?
    I'm sorry, but no. Neither Sprint nor Verizon will activate a phone the other sells. There's no technical reason it could not be done, it's just a business decision.
    08-04-10 02:14 PM
    I have an 8830 (unlocked and originally from Sprint), but I now live in Vietnam. The phone and sms features work just fine with the local carrier's sim (mobifone). I bought the data plan from them and it worked fine, but now it suddenly does not. Tried my sim in another phone (not a bb) and it worked fine as well. What have I not turned on or accidentally turned of on my BB? They use 3G here. Thanks!
    08-25-10 03:11 AM
    If everything worked for a short time, then stopped, the problem is likely with your carrier. You can try resending your service books per this procedure: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/serv...ks-how-115031/. If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to call your carrier customer service.
    08-25-10 10:22 AM
    anyone can help wit sprint 8830 we to boost
    09-08-10 01:29 PM
    jeffh can you help me
    09-08-10 01:30 PM
    hi jeff
    new to the forum and have a 8830 unlocked from verizon which is not accessing the sim card menu.how do i enable it so that can access the sim card menu
    thanks
    john
    09-11-11 03:00 AM
    Do you have a sim card from your carrier in the phone? Are you attempting to use the phone with a GSM carrier? I assume since your carrier is SAFARICOM KENYA that you are not attempting to use the 8830 on GSM in North America. If you are, that's the problem. The GSM radio in the 8830 only works on European GSM frequencies and will not work in North America.
    09-11-11 08:59 AM
    I'm a newby on this forum as most people who posted in this thread. So, as instructed, I was reading the FAQ, and just can't contain myself. Have to put my 2 cents in.

Everywhere on the FAQ, it says that you can not use a CDMA Blackberry on another network.
    Well, I HAVE been using a VERIZON Blackberry 8830 World Edition with MetoPCS (in the US) for a few years. It can be done for some other networks as well. I'm sure some features were lost, but I didn't care about them anyway. Never use e-mail or internet over the phone anyway.

It took:
    1) Unlock the device. With UnlockToTalk website it's free, if you shoot a video of unlocking the phone and post it on YouTube. I.e. first you pay them, they send you the unlock code (sometimes it doesn't work the fist time, they had to send me 2 different codes, the 2nd time it was a success), then after they verify that you've posted the video, they refund your credit card. I personally have done it, and got my refund.
    2) Insert the ESN no. into MetroPCS database (found an advertisement online, paid, done - don't have this info any more, it's been a while).
    3) The UnlockToTalk people referred me to another website (remotesquad.com), that can flash BBs (paid, a guy remotely installed some software on my computer, 40-60 minutes worth of time, done). Everythimg worked. Call, text, internet, MMS. Have to say, that internet was kinda slow, but I saw that being a problem on a few other "all original software" BBs. Eventually, I turned off everything except for call & text , since I never used it anyway.

After the first step, all you have to do is call the CDMA cell provider and manually insert a few things into the phone by entering the CDMA Service Edit Screen: dial ##000000, then "Send" button; also, when you edit this particular screen, you HAVE to use the menu button (the one with dots on it), choose save and use the trackball to save. Otherwise info is not always saved.

Mind it, that my data about who did what goes back to 2007, so I don't know if all the service is still the same. For example, on the rem.squad website I can't find instant messaging any more. It was a handy feature to ask silly questions to a tech.
    But it all can be done.
    Of course, I don't recommend doing it if you are not a total fan of some particular model. I got my mind set on it, because I loved the layout on this phone (hate all them touch-screens), and I needed a phone that would use CDMA in the U.S., and GSM in Europe. This was the phone I picked, and I love it now as much as I did 5 years back. Excellent investment.
    Last edited by falzman; 02-20-13 at 01:30 AM.
    02-07-13 05:50 AM
142 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD