I got the Verizon SIM card for my 8830 and am paying the extra $30/month for their international service. When I went to Portugal last month, it was seamless - voice and email both worked automatically.

Arriving in China just now, at first it wouldn't make calls, til I manually switched to GSM under "mobile network" in options. Now it takes calls and texts fine, but no data, ie no email or browser. There's an error message with the browser that says I'm in an area that can't handle data, but since I landed in Hong Kong and had Vodafone I very much doubt that!
    05-10-08 12:37 PM
    I got the Verizon SIM card for my 8830 and am paying the extra $30/month for their international service. When I went to Portugal last month, it was seamless - voice and email both worked automatically.

Arriving in China just now, at first it wouldn't make calls, til I manually switched to GSM under "mobile network" in options. Now it takes calls and texts fine, but no data, ie no email or browser. There's an error message with the browser that says I'm in an area that can't handle data, but since I landed in Hong Kong and had Vodafone I very much doubt that!
    Answered my own question - had to call Verizon global support 888 844 0395, and they did some settings at their end that enabled GPRS on my phone. Fyi, it required a land line for them to call me back on so I could take out the battery and reboot. Now emails coming through fine.
    05-10-08 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD