Hello folks,

I've been reading some threads here, and also read the 8830 FAQs, in which it was explicitly stated that the 8830 works on Verizon's network, no ifs, ands or buts.

Now, I live here in Bermuda, and our CDMA carrier (CellularOne) sells & uses phones that they obtained from Verizon. (i.e. My Treo 700 has the verizon logo on it).

In my case, is anyone aware if it would be technically possible to unlock the CDMA portion of an 8830, to allow it to work on another carrier's CDMA network outside of the US? I'm not asking if Verizon will give me the codes to unlock the CDMA side - I'm just asking if it's technically possible.

I forgot to mention that I would be buying 2 of these 8830 at FULL retail price .... that's $1,200 plus tax. One of these phones would be used on Verizon's network, but the one would be sent to me here in Bermuda, and therefor at least the CDMA side would need to be unlocked.

Thanks in advance for the above.
    09-11-07 07:49 AM
    I only use GSM networks and it is easy with SIM card, just put it in unlocked phone and works. But I think with CDMA is little harder. All data into phone must put operator...
    09-11-07 09:04 AM
    You don't really unlock the CDMA side of the phone. It's more will your carrier allow a device from a different CDMA carrier on their network. Here in the US, the answer is no, but maybe in Bermuda they don't have a problem with it. If that's the case, they will just need to add the phones ESN number to their system. I'm pretty sure that's all it will take.

However, if I'm wrong, someone please chime in.
    09-11-07 09:42 AM
    You don't really unlock the CDMA side of the phone. It's more will your carrier allow a device from a different CDMA carrier on their network. Here in the US, the answer is no, but maybe in Bermuda they don't have a problem with it. If that's the case, they will just need to add the phones ESN number to their system. I'm pretty sure that's all it will take.

However, if I'm wrong, someone please chime in.
    Tons of folks in Mexico were able to reprogram the Samsung i730 so they could activate the ESN with their home carriers.

On Win Mobile devices it is easier to find service menus and the like. I haven't seen any posts on here of how to get at the service menus from the BB OS. They are there but it seems to be a well kept secret at this point.

From the sounds of it, the carrier in Bermuda seems to have no issue activating devices that they do not provide, which is usually the biggest hurdle. VZW and Sprint won't allow this anymore.
    09-11-07 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD