Like many users here I was exited about the 8820's WiFi until I realized it only works with a data plan...that's no fun!

Time for plan B

I tried pointing the blackberry browser to wifi, and that seemed to work only when I was in range of my wifi network. I could browse the internet while connected to my WiFi network, but out of range and it stopped working. Seems right, but I was still skeptical because it has been said that data may still be active no matter what the settings say.

So, I called att and had them block data for my plan entirely (partially because I'm skeptical, and also because I want to experiment to find things that actually work on wifi without accidentally racking up a huge bill). Since calling I have attempted to connect to MediaNet and I get a message that says "You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication..."

Prior to calling att I had "edge" in the top corner, now I see "GSM" I turned off the phone radio (so the only active connection is WiFi) and I have no trouble accessing the internet.

I even went as far as taking the SIM out of the phone and can still browse the internet (pretty sure that's a difinitive test)!

My Theory:
    I've heard that the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) environment on the phone only allows wifi to be processed through a data connection (A reason the Opera browser and other programs supposedly cannot be configured for WiFi only). Although I have data turned on in the phone, the software interprets the wifi data as if it were wireless data. I think that the wifi data is being sent as a wireless data packet (within the phone, not on the network) and that is why I am able to do this...or maybe so long as data is turned on the phone thinks it's restricting wifi 'properly.' (the obvious threat here is that I could still be using data inadvertantly...so that's why I had it restricted)

Basically what I'm saying, is that it appears the phone is happy because data is turned on, but disallowed from the mobile network. However it seems pretty clear that I am strictly using WiFi.

The short version:
    1) Options > Advanced Options > Browser : set to "Wi-Fi"
    2) Set BB Browser "Browser Configuration" to "WiFi"
    3) Set mobile network data connection: "ON"
    4) APN does not seem to be important (I'm not sure on this, but if blank maybe you are unable to access 3g and don't have to cancel data on your plan? Possibly this is the only trick!)
    5) Restrict data from your plan (if you are skeptical like me)
    6) Restart your phone and Enjoy WiFi!

Programs that can use WiFi only in this configuration:
    Mobile GMaps v1.39.17
    Opera Mini v4.2
    Last edited by drcustom; 12-19-08 at 11:29 AM.
    12-18-08 06:29 PM
    Thanks for this post. this is what I was looking for before buying the 8820.
    12-27-08 11:32 AM
    Programs that can use WiFi only in this configuration:
    Mobile GMaps v1.39.17
    Opera Mini v4.2
    New BB owner, this is my first post. 8820 locked from AT&T and I am trying to setup WiFi w/o data plan. I love my new phone and cannot wait to unlock it and it's owner's potential!

I can connect to networks; my home network w WEP and an open network here at work that is unsecured. Even though my device shows "connected" I still do not have a full-on WiFi icon and when I try to access a site I get a message "cannot connect to server". I think that I have followed the instructions that I have found here on Crack Berry. Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Do you have to use Opera or will the BB browser work?

Thanks
    01-12-09 02:32 PM
    Make sure you are using the wifi browser in OS version below 4.5, or the hotspot browser in OS version 4.5 up.

options->advanced->Browser
    also when in the browser, go to
    options-> browser config
    and options-> general to verify that it says hotspot or wifi.

You can use opera. I use it since I find it to be faster.
    01-12-09 03:14 PM
    I have BB Curve 8320
    As of now I have a pay per use data plan.
    I turned off DATA usage and changed browser settings to Hotspot.

However, when I try to connect to the internet via BB browser and Opera Mini, it says "Unable to connect to the internet. If the problem persists, contact your service provider."

HELP! Do I need to call ATT and tell them to block Data Access and turn ON Data in the phone settings? Or will I still be charged even after I make the call. I just want internet via me and my friends' houses' wireless router

UPDATE!! : I did what the above first post said:

1.Called ATT 1-800-331-0500
    2. asked him to BLOCK ALL DATA from my phone (I told him that I didnt want my son accidently browsing the internet and me getting charged for it for the pay per use. this way, there is NO WAY it can connect to the EDGE network)
    3. He said now I won't be able to send picture messages, big freakin whoop.
    4. No I can go into Mobile Network icon and change Data Services from Off to "ON"
    5. This tricks the wifi chip into thinking that I have a data plan. Instead, all charges are now blocked from my account.

If new problems come up, I will update you all. This is the only way to get you ATT BB wifi to work without a data plan.

BE CAREFUL and check your billing statements to make sure you are NOT being charged a pay per use. Making that call to ATT will and better block all data.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by sukTHEfac; 01-23-09 at 01:02 PM.
    01-23-09 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD