I read the 8820 review here...and I am intrigued.

I am beginning to think that I will buy a ATT 8820 on e-bay until the Bold finally makes it to the street.

I noticed that the 8820 does not have a keyboard backlight, per the review. IS there some other type of highlighting to make the keyboard visible in the dark?

Also, to the ATT 8820 owners, has anyone upgraded their OS successfully? Can you now get HTML mail?
    07-25-08 09:48 AM
    The keys are lit up so you can type in the dark. I haven't tried upgrading my o/s, just do a search.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 11:49 AM
    I have an 8820 w/ Tmo... and 4.5.0.52. HTML email works, keys have a backlight... only thing I've noticed is the upgraded (2.x) AIM doen't work, but as long as you don't install it and do an OTA from Blackberry.com to install the latest 1.x it's fine.
    07-26-08 03:23 PM
    I have had no problems when typing in low light or the dark and the keys are well back lit for easy visibility. There are versions of the 4.5 OS Multi-language out there, but I am patiently holding out until the official release by AT&T, hopefully sometime in the third quarter.
    08-11-08 06:49 PM
    My T-Mobile 8820 is working very well on the latest OS 4.5 Multi-language version. All other 3rd party applications are working as well... no issues. The keyboard lights up and is bright.. not a problem there either.

For my personal taste the 8820 is the perfect Blackberry. I like the larger size, heft and weight. I have no need for a camera, but GPS comes in handy for sure. It is just the perfect business tool in my opinion. Wi-Fi works great and my HotSpot@Home program is saving me a huge amount of minutes everyday. We are on AT&T DSL with a 2Wire430 wireless moden/router and it works fine with my T-Mobile plan.

I have absolutely no complaints. As a matter of fact, I know everyone is going nuts over the Bold and Thunder... but I am not going to get switch any time soon. I forsee having my 8820 for at least another year before I move over to, most likely, the touch screen BB.
    08-14-08 08:51 PM
    I just received my 8820, the upgrade to 4.5 was not an issue, worked great. The one thing I have found is that I can't get wifi no matter what I do, old or new os, I am thinking that if ya don't spring for $500 a year in data plan its a n over priced mp3 player.
    08-14-08 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD