Hi there,

My Razr finally crapped out and I'm looking for a new phone, and I'm liking the 8820. Now here is why I like it, Blackberry OS, Wi-Fi and GPS. Now I don't want to buy a data plan, I don't want to pay to use the GPS either. Everywhere I go there is pretty much a WiFi connection, and I don't think the prices for data transfer are that reasonable.

I'm a bit confused about a few things and would like them clarified before I go out and buy this phone (AT&T). Is there any way to turn off data transfer so I can't accidentally connect to their edge network and use it? Is the GPS actual hardware, and can I use an alternate GPS software so I don't have to pay to use TeleNav? What is this google maps, and why is it a poorman's GPS? Can I use an AIM client over WiFi on the blackberry? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I need a new phone quickly!

Thanks
    -Matt
    03-30-08 11:39 AM
    Ok first, yes u can turn off pay-per-use data so u dont accidentally go on it without a data plan and WiFi will work fine.

Google maps only works over a data connection, so ur GPS will not work without a data plan nor will Google maps.

AIM will NOT work over WiFi.....but JiveTalk will which costs $20.
    03-30-08 01:27 PM
    That's disappointing, so there are no hacks for the GPS on this phone, or programs with preloaded maps?
    03-30-08 01:32 PM
    It seems like trekbuddy can do GPS with preloaded maps, has anybody had any success with this program on the 8820?

Thanks
    03-30-08 01:57 PM
    Is there any way to turn off data transfer so I can't accidentally connect to their edge network and use it?
    Yes. You can set data services on your phone to off if you would like.

Is the GPS actual hardware, and can I use an alternate GPS software so I don't have to pay to use TeleNav?
    You can use any software that is compatible with your phone. I don't know of any off the top of my head with preloaded maps.

Can I use an AIM client over WiFi on the blackberry?
    JiveTalk works over wifi and is highly recommended over other IM apps. It's not free but I consider it worth the cost.
    03-30-08 02:06 PM
    Thanks, If I can find out more about this Trekbuddy program, I'll use that with the GPS, get JiveTalk and get the phone. I'm kind of excited... I just want to know some more about trekbuddy, it seems a little difficult to find out how to use it and make the maps for it.
    03-30-08 02:10 PM
    Hey Matt,

I've been using Microsoft Streets and Trips on my home PC and laptop for a few years now and it's supposed to be compatible with smart phones as well.
    I have the 2005 version and paid $160 (CAN) for it but I've seen the 2007 version at factory outlets for as low as $30... (the 2007 talks to you as well)
    I like the program alot and it's been worth every cent.

It comes with a USB dongle that you can stick to your vehicle dashboard from your laptop. (That's how I've used it in the past)
    I'm picking up my 8820 tomorrow, so I was looking for stuff on this site and joined... thought I'd make make my first post to answer your question...

As I understand it, the GPS on the 8820 works without WiFi or Data access... it's the applications like Google Maps and Blackberry Maps etc. that need the WiFi or Data access, so Streets and Trips should work standalone with the GPS.
    (you upload your maps from your laptop/PC to your phone)
    Hope this helps...
    I'll let you know how well it works when I try it.

Cheers,
    Mike
    03-30-08 02:23 PM
    Thanks Mike, it just seems like all the information on this stuff is pretty wishy-washy. I don't think BB maps or google maps works without an internet connection because here are constantly updating the maps (the maps aren't in memory like stand alone GPS systems). I'll look into the MS program.

EDIT:

Mike, I don't see anything about MS streets and trips working with BBs...
    Last edited by ScreamingBroccoli; 03-30-08 at 02:29 PM.
    03-30-08 02:27 PM
    I'm looking at the back of my MS Streets and Trips 2005 case...
    -"Option during install to install "pocket streets for smartphone"
    I would think it would work on a BB.
    That's about all I know... I've never tried it, but I will tomorrow and let you know.
    03-30-08 02:35 PM
    Probably for smart phones that run windows mobile
    03-30-08 02:36 PM
    I hope not.
    -side note... I live in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, just down the street from RIM headquarters... I run audio for presentations by Mike Lazaridis and yet cannot buy an 8820 here.
    The BBs with WIfI are not available from our service providers here and yet they are available in the United States and even India...
    I believe it's because our service providers have no way to charge us for the use of WiFi...
    We have the worst cell phone service providers in the world... at the highest rates...
    IPhone is not available here either...
    I had a friend buy me an 8820 from Florida and he's home tonight... my plan is/was to use MS Streets and Trips... maybe not... I'll try it tomorrow and let you know...
    Maybe Google will come out with a stand alone version???
    03-30-08 02:53 PM
    I can't believe nobody has one with offline maps (that are already made and have route planning in them). Just strange...
    03-30-08 02:58 PM
    Thanks, If I can find out more about this Trekbuddy program, I'll use that with the GPS, get JiveTalk and get the phone. I'm kind of excited... I just want to know some more about trekbuddy, it seems a little difficult to find out how to use it and make the maps for it.
    Hmm - yes I would also like to know how to get Trekbuddy on my phone. I went to their web site and could not download the ALX.
    04-02-08 10:42 AM
    I should be getting the phone in the mail tomorrow, I'll let you know what I find out.
    04-02-08 01:50 PM
    New to BB and I have the 8820. How do you turn off pay-per-use data?

Thanks - T
    04-09-08 06:36 PM
    I am also curious about this. How do u turn off pay-per use data?
    04-10-08 09:47 AM
    I love GoogleMaps. It can in fact pinpoint your location with GPS and it also streams real-time updates as you are driving. It also gives step-by-step directions although the software won't speak it out to you nor go to the next step automatically. You can also search for restaurants etc. and gives you a list in your area. It's free so check it out, can't hurt.

JiveTalk is awesome. It seems like everyone is recommending it and rightfully so. It's $20 but well worth it. It uses data so if you can connect to the internet, you can use it.

btw, I use a Curve so I'm not sure if having an 8820 would be different.
    04-10-08 05:25 PM
    I can't believe nobody has one with offline maps (that are already made and have route planning in them). Just strange...
    Not so strange...maps, particularly zoomable maps, take a lot of memory. Blackberry's and smartphones generally don't have that much, and microSD cards are just now becoming large enough to be useful. The GPS s/w people will have to mod their s/w to work with maps in memory, and microSD cards will have to get more capacity, and the blackberry os will have to support that capacity, before you see more more progress.
    04-10-08 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD