I have a new 8820... got it Mar 15-08... and already I see the #5 key has a problem-the BLASTED Number is coming unglued & starting to PEEL OFF-I called AT&T & they said that is NOT COVERED under the Blackberry 12 month warranty! Luckily-I can still return it to the store within the 30days since I bought it... BUT I have tried to contact Blackberry just to find out HOW MUCH the repair charge would be IF I was out of my 30 day AT&T Warranty period... THIS is a bummer for a Smart phone this expensive-to ALREADY have the numbers PEELING OFF.... I have an OLDER 6230 Blackberry that still has GOOD numbers & letters-they are MOLDED onto the key-NONE of this GLUE ON Crap.... WHY would they put STICKON LETTERS & NUMBERS onto an 8820??
    DOes anyone know what the Blackberry Repair charge would be-IF this happened again?

thanks
    mpe
    04-02-08 02:53 PM
    Have no clue what you are talking about because the marks on my keys are certainly NOT stickers.

Do like IPhone people pose as crackberry users to post this kind of thing or what?
    04-02-08 03:52 PM
    well as that is a physical flaw, still if you call up the warranty department im sure they will more than likely send you out a replacement for no charge
    04-02-08 03:54 PM
    I have the same problem. You are lucky that you are within 30 days. I purchased mine end of January from ATT/Cingular. Lost the letter A.
    I have called the warranty dept twice today to no avail (after being on hold forever). They tell me the product is "broken" or "damaged" and therefore no longer under warranty. I think I have a defective product but they won't budge. They will not replace. To get repaired through blackberry will cost $190.
    Best bet will probably be to replace the entire keyboard. Looks like those may be purchasable online and then can replace myself. Anyone have an idea where best to do this?
    Thanks
    Derek
    04-02-08 07:24 PM
    The paint is already peeling off the keys on my 8820 and Ive had it about 1 month.
    04-03-08 10:26 AM
    check out ebay, you can usually find the parts needed pretty cheap, heck, i bought a few complete phones, just so i can have some spare parts!!

Cellular Accessories - Motorola, Alcatel, LG, Accessories Store, Panasonic, Apple, Tools, NEC, Nokia, S

HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center
    04-03-08 10:30 AM
    I have the same problem. You are lucky that you are within 30 days. I purchased mine end of January from ATT/Cingular. Lost the letter A.
    I have called the warranty dept twice today to no avail (after being on hold forever). They tell me the product is "broken" or "damaged" and therefore no longer under warranty. I think I have a defective product but they won't budge. They will not replace. To get repaired through blackberry will cost $190.
    Best bet will probably be to replace the entire keyboard. Looks like those may be purchasable online and then can replace myself. Anyone have an idea where best to do this?
    Thanks
    Derek
    I have a BB Curve and the ALT key just popped off this afternoon. I expected to have to pay to have it repaired (bought it in JULY 2007), but the AT&T store rep suggested I call the warranty line just in case. I did just that and got the same answer you got - "...the product is "broken" or "damaged" and therefore no longer under warranty." Well, yeah, duh if it wasn't broken or damaged why would I be calling the warranty line - just to check in to see how they are doing? I expected them to say that it is not covered, but they said it is physically broken so it is not covered. Okay, help me out here. If I bought a car and the tail light fell out while I was driving it home and I took it back to the dealer and they told me since the light fell out it is physically damaged so it is not covered under the warranty I think I might come unglued. Anyway cnn.cn sells the keyboard for 6 bucks so I think I'll replace it myself. I mean what do I have to loose - the warranty doesn't cover damage anyway.

-bill
    04-19-08 05:42 PM
    Sounds worrying... someone from bb here who can clear up the confusion here?
    04-21-08 12:03 PM
    the 12 month limited warrenty covers all parts of the device except housing and cosmetics. unfortunately, they consider the keyboard "housing"

check out the links that cjcarbone posted up above. they're pretty reasonable prices.
    04-21-08 11:10 PM
    I bought my 8820 back in Sept the day of release and really have not had much issues with the keyboard. Just a key or two with a little paint on the edges has rubbed off but not enough of a concern.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-08 11:17 PM
    My 3-month old 8820 is losing the coating on the raised ridge of several keys. This results in light coming through those keys in an already cluttered keyboard.

What will the keyboard look like in six months? Is this a QC issue? There has been no abuse, only careful handling. This unit replaced an 8800 that was stolen in January. The 8820 keys don't feel as high-quality as those on the 8800, at least my impression. I do not want to pay any more than I already have for two BB's, and certainly don't think this is satisfactory.
    04-25-08 12:39 PM
    After reading the posts here I knew I was screwed and sure enough!

Days ago the "O" key popped off, strange enough it's right in the center of the keyboard, no physical damage or trauma. Took it to the store and they pawned me off on the AT&T 800 warranty line. The guy at the store even told me after he inspected it that there was no physical damage and to mention that when I called in.

So I call and get a representative who quickly consults his supervisors who say RIM has not issued a service problem and thus they don't recognize the problem and VOILA it's not in warranty. He then spends 5 minutes looking for the number for RIM for me to call, I politely refuse saying I'm not RIM's customer I'm his (AT&Ts) customer. I instruct him to call thinking he'll never get anyone at a manufacturer, he actually does and then patches me over. Sure enough they deliver the bad news, they can repair ($199) or replace with remanufactured ($239) but they don't actually warranty the product, that's AT&Ts job! What a bogus circle of crap! I used the car tail light popping off example unsuccessfully.

Anyone have any recommendations about simple low-cost repair solutions? Or what is covered under warranty and can be easily self-induced so I can submit the phone under another warranty claim for an exchange?
    04-25-08 02:21 PM
    After reading the posts here I knew I was screwed and sure enough!

Days ago the "O" key popped off, strange enough it's right in the center of the keyboard, no physical damage or trauma. Took it to the store and they pawned me off on the AT&T 800 warranty line. The guy at the store even told me after he inspected it that there was no physical damage and to mention that when I called in.

So I call and get a representative who quickly consults his supervisors who say RIM has not issued a service problem and thus they don't recognize the problem and VOILA it's not in warranty. He then spends 5 minutes looking for the number for RIM for me to call, I politely refuse saying I'm not RIM's customer I'm his (AT&Ts) customer. I instruct him to call thinking he'll never get anyone at a manufacturer, he actually does and then patches me over. Sure enough they deliver the bad news, they can repair ($199) or replace with remanufactured ($239) but they don't actually warranty the product, that's AT&Ts job! What a bogus circle of crap! I used the car tail light popping off example unsuccessfully.

Anyone have any recommendations about simple low-cost repair solutions? Or what is covered under warranty and can be easily self-induced so I can submit the phone under another warranty claim for an exchange?
    you can simply purchase a new keyboard from a vendor like:
    Cellular Accessories - NEC, Nokia, Panasonic, BlackBerry, Samsung, Alcatel, SonyEricsson, Acer, Mobiado

there are a couple of "how to" disassembly guides on youtube for DIY.
    04-26-08 02:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD