I'm hoping one of you BB experts can help me out.

I have just bought a second hand BB 8820. When I switch it on, after booting up, it goes into the menu of whatever it was highlighted on after booting up. It goes throught the various sub-menus til it runs out of places to go. This without touching the trackerball. I've taken it to pieces, cleaned it all and fitted a new trackerball but same result.

If I put it down, sometimes it will bust into life and jumps between various menus or applications.

If I quickly scroll to an application and highlight an item it will go into that menu again without pressing the trackerball.

It's driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas or is it basically knackered?

Thanks in advance.
    09-08-10 05:51 AM
    It sounds like it's been wet. When you took it apart, did you notice any small white or red shapes? Those are moisture indicators. They turn pink or red when exposed to moisture.

If it hasn't been wet, it's possible the OS is just corrupted. That's unlikely, but worth checking. You can use CrackMem to completely remove the OS, then reinstall it and see if that solves the problem. You can find the latest OS for the 8820 in a sticky at the top of this forum. The sticky includes instructions for installing it.
    09-08-10 06:04 AM
    Thanks for reply. Yes the little indicator below the battery is showing red so it's been wet. Do you reckon it is beyond repair then?
    Last edited by shearersshorts; 09-08-10 at 08:12 AM.
    09-08-10 08:06 AM
    I'm sorry, in that case your BlackBerry is most likely a total loss. It would cost more to fix it than a used 8820 is worth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 08:10 AM
    Jeff, thanks for your help. much appreciated. Think I'll look for another one.
    09-08-10 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD