So i just bought a unlocked AT&T 8820, and am using it on a Fido prepaid plan. I have BB Maps installed on it, but it seems that my GPS is not working. In BB Maps it just keeps saying searching for satelite, and in Settings-->Advanced Options-->GPS everything says zero. Do i need to somehow enable the GPS or something?
    12-14-07 01:56 PM
    I've read an article somewhere on the net (you can google it easily I think using words "crippled" "blackberry 8820" and "at&t") which says that BB 8820 from AT&T has hardcoded the GPS usage with TeleNav only. This is because they want to protect their iPhone investment.

I have the same model too. I've found this information when trying to figure out why google maps wouldn't even start on my BB. The TeleNav limitation is hardcoded into the device so there's probably no fix for it.

Sorry for the sad news 2 days before Christmas.
    12-22-07 06:23 AM
    Let's debunk that myth right now..... Just because someone says something on the net doesn't make it true. AT&T NEVER crippled the GPS on the 8820. NEVER. Just because you can Google a rumor from a year ago doesn't make it true. I have an 8820 and it works with any number of third party GPS applications. I think I have 5 different ones loaded right now. They all work to varying degrees of usefulness.

Now.. the critical part of GPS use is.... you MUST have a data plan! All the maps and information are called up as you use them. No data plan, no GPS. Period.

To see if your GPS is functional, 1) Go outside. Yes, it needs to be able to see the satellites. 2) Open OPTIONS/ADVANCED OPTIONS/GPS and then select Refresh from the App key. This should at least turn on the GPS and give you a current location. But without a Data plan, Blackberry Maps, Google Maps, WIndows LIVE Search, Nav4All, InfoSearch FindIt or any other GPS application is not going to run.
    12-22-07 07:07 AM
    We have plenty of AT&T 8820 users running Google Maps without Telenav and it works fine.

Does the Fido prepaid plan include BlackBerry data, or just voice and SMS.
    12-22-07 07:41 AM
    unfortunately the fido prepaid is only voice and sms thanks for how to check the functionality of the GPS. I found the GPS status page, but i didnt know about the refresh part.
    12-24-07 05:10 PM
    Hey dbltap, you were right - sorry to stick to a myth (was probably psychologically well-written).

After making the BIS work for surfing the internet on my BB, I've successfully downloaded and used Nav4All. There is no cripple.
    01-21-08 04:42 AM
    Also, a reply on the original post - if you're not getting GPS signal, try going outside (or using BB GPS in the car). This worked for me. I get no GPS signal while I'm in any kind of house, but I get it anywhere outside (including the car).
    01-21-08 04:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD