I hope I'm not the first to do this. But I received my 6gb sandisk. I have about 4gb of mp3s on it, it sees them all...

The problem is, media manager doesn't see the card at all (it sees the device, all the subfolders, etc.). When you select the memory card it briefly says "device not connected" for about 1 sec, then says "no media found".

It's in mass storage. Methinks roxio might have a 4gb limit. I looked at the 4gb problem posts, and couldn't see this problem in those threads.

So, for the time being, I have to side load the files. My problem with that, is I have all these 0 length mp3s that don't play on the 8820 (they're on the 6gb disk as several megs). I bet the bitrate is wrong or something, which is probably a PITA to fix for several hundred songs. I bet roxio does this change on the fly.

Anyone have clues?
    10-25-07 10:48 AM
    Looks like a bitrate problem, the problem files are large bitrates.

Now my problem is, since I have to side-load everything, the original MP3 list seems to be "stuck" and I can't get it to refresh. So it doesn't see the new files, and it still thinks the old ones are there (filenames are different, it's still "looking" for the old ones).

I deleted the .dat file on the media card, but no love... Of course on vista I can't explore to the sd card either while its in the 8820.

yeah!
    10-25-07 03:03 PM
    Well crap, I refreshed the list, and the change to 128/44 made no difference. I have about 200 songs that have 0 time, but they are a few megs on the disk. Here's hoping someone has an answer. At wits end here.
    10-25-07 03:32 PM
    Hello based on previous posts I have read the maximum card you can put in is only 4gb
    10-25-07 04:37 PM
    I've heard that it's supposed to work with a 32gb when it becomes available !!! Lets wait and see......
    10-25-07 04:59 PM
    Oh no WRH, it clearly states in the marketing materials that the 8820 takes SDHC up to 32GB. It clearly works (I've filled it up and it sees a full 6GB), it's not a card/base OS problem, there's just some wierdness with the way the mp3s are being handled. If I really wanted to get to the bottom of this, I could buy a 4gb and see what gives... I'll give it a day, and maybe call RIM up and see what gives.

I'm gonna chaulk it up to being "beta" like the WIFI is at times.
    10-25-07 07:19 PM
    Looks like a bitrate problem, the problem files are large bitrates.

Now my problem is, since I have to side-load everything, the original MP3 list seems to be "stuck" and I can't get it to refresh. So it doesn't see the new files, and it still thinks the old ones are there (filenames are different, it's still "looking" for the old ones).

I deleted the .dat file on the media card, but no love... Of course on vista I can't explore to the sd card either while its in the 8820.

yeah!
    I have the same problem. I can explore and open my songs but the artists/albums and videos are all "stuck. I hope someone can help.
    10-25-07 09:27 PM
    Wierd, I posted a reply several days ago, it doesn't appear.

To fix the refresh, you delete the .dat file (playlist.dat?) then pull the battery. It will then force a slow refresh.

Now on to the more fun problem with 6 GB. On the phone with RIM now, getting the song and dance about how opnly 2 is supported blah blah. OF course, I threw out the 20 press releases from RIM to make the 8820 sell against the iPhone with 32GB...

He then talked to someone else and came back with "officially, the unit supports it hardwarewise, but this version of software won't work, you need a new update that's coming soon".

So there you have it kiddies, 6GB works a bit, should work, and will work with the new code out soon. As everything else, they release it first, then fix bugs later... Not really losing anything, about 2gbs of songs work, the rest just take up space.
    10-29-07 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD