Hello friends,
    Not sure if this is a card issue or phone issue or a user issue. But, I purchased this 4GB Kingston micro SD HC class 4 card yesterday. When I plug it into bberry 8830 and go to options - media card, I can see the total space = 3.7 GB and free space = 3.7 GB. but I can NOT sense the card from the PC and hence can not copy any mp3 or picture files into it.

googled for this issue, but not much luck. wanted to see if there is anyone out there to help with this issue. My previous 1GB card works fine with PC and bberry with all pictures and mp3 files.

thank you.
    bberry8830we_vz_user
    04-05-08 06:40 PM
    Have you turned on Mass Storage on the phone? Also, to support that card you'll need to have the latest OS installed on the phone.
    04-05-08 06:46 PM
    yes. mass storage media support is set to Yes, auto enable mass storage mode when connected is also set to Yes, and media card support is set to On, encrypition mode is set to None.

I connected the phone to my pc with the USB cable, and tried to copy the music and picture files from within Windows explorer, and after a few minutes of copying files, it stopped sensing the card.

so I am stumped..... definitely I am missing something here. My Bberry software is 4.2.

thank you for the help.
    04-05-08 07:05 PM
    I had a similiar issue with my 8830 my computer was not seeing the media card.

It turned out to be a driver issue with Windows Vista my machine would not reconize any USB mass storage device I plugged in, I had to do a restore on the damned thing.
    04-05-08 09:14 PM
    Try going into the device manager (located in computer management) and scan for new hardware. (You can right click "my computer" and go to manage to get the computer management console.
    04-05-08 09:17 PM
    My Bberry software is 4.2.
    4.2.what? There's more to the revision number then just 4.2. Go to Status and give exact OS version. Also, a reformat for the card could be in order.
    04-05-08 11:07 PM
    yeah reformat it
    04-06-08 03:45 AM
    alright guys, will give it a shot with reformat and see what happens. will respond back with the results.

thank you.
    04-10-08 11:09 PM
    unfortunately, my pc does not read this 4GB micro sd card at all. i have another 1GB mico sd card that works perfect on the pc. so at this point i can not format this card.

any suggestions !!!!!!!!

thank you.
    04-10-08 11:34 PM
    upon rebooting my pc, i could sense the card and reformatted it. i launch roxio media manager software and could copy a few mp3 files, but after copying 10 or so songs, the card choked again. the same problem as before. all these mp3 files are not more than 10 mb per song and i was copying one file at a time.

its getting late now, i better sleep and hope one of you experts will help me sort this out.

thank you to everyone who responded.
    04-11-08 12:10 AM
    I had the same problem with the same card, and it had nothing to do with the card itself. The SD slot on my laptop was not designed to read the high capacity (HC) SD cards. The laptop is a little over 2 years old.

I went out and purchased a $10 MobileMate SD+ memory card reader at Radio Shack, which plugs into the USB port (it looks like a flash drive). The micro SD card goes right into it.

The laptop recognized it immediately, and I was able to transfer media onto it without a problem.
    04-11-08 08:55 PM
    Why is it that NO ONE knows that you can actually format the damn memory card in the phone?!?!?! Go to Media Card and hit Menu people. Wow... look, Format!
    04-11-08 11:17 PM
    Some people actually have more problems AFTER they format the "damn memory card."
    04-13-08 09:00 AM
    It seems to work best formatting the card with your pc first, (if it's 4g or more you'll need a card adapter for an older pc), this puts the fat system on the card, then put the card in your BB and format, this puts your basic media folders on and the rest of the fat32 that you need for all your stuff to play nice together..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 09:21 AM
    ^^^ You can always format the card on a PC using FAT16. This is probably why a lot of people have issues with their cards. They just format them in whatever comes up. By default in XP it's FAT32 or NTFS depending on setup. That's not going to work on a BB. It must be FAT16, which you can pick from the format dropdown when you do it.

If formatted in the BB from the menus, it works fine. There was an issue with 4.2.2.66 release of the OS from Verizon that would actually corrupt the card and reboot the BB on a format of a memory card that was 2GB or more in size. I found that bug last year when I got my phone and notified them about it. It wasn't fixed until the MR2 release of their OS for the phone. Running that version or any version after that from other carriers and any card up to 4GB formats fine from the BB OS menu system under Media Card.

It's alwasy good to format ALL these cards anyway as well as any USB memory drives any of you ever use in the future for anything. It's a well known fact that if you buy the cheap stuff, which can come from China, it very easily can have a virus on it. A little while back (couple of months) those digital pictures frames from a certain manufacturer came preloaded with virus and spyware software from the factory in China. So, always format, no matter what.
    04-13-08 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD