Has anyone had any issue when traveling abroad (making or receiving calls) after upgrading their VZW 8830 to the 4.5.0.101?

Thanks,

/Scott
    12-10-08 01:29 PM
    Yeah, this is a good question...seems like the OS upgrade should *not* break the international roaming capabilities of the "world edition" phone, but would hate to land in the EU and find out that it does.

Anyone verify this???
    12-16-08 03:48 PM
    12-16-08 04:59 PM
    Hey, I don't know if Verizon encountered the same problem with the 8830 but Alltel began doing warranty swaps for the 8830ir because there is a problem with their 8830's International Roaming. If you put a foreign sim card in the phone it would not register the card. The new 8830ir they sent me clearly says it on the sticker and says International Roaming. Hope this helps ya'll.
    12-16-08 08:24 PM
    Where are JeffH and that JRSCCivic dude?

The always have the answers!!
    12-18-08 03:14 PM
    Anyone ???
    12-21-08 11:00 AM
    I am currently traveling outside US and I am using .77 and have had no problems. I did have to manually switch from Global to GSM to initiate data communications other than that no problems receiving emails, web browsing and most importantly phone calls flawless. Can't obviously comment on how .101 will behave though. I was using .101 for a short time but it was too buggy and downgraded back to .77.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 09:17 PM
    Thank you.
    12-23-08 07:23 AM
    i just got back from the Caribbean with my Bell Mobility 8830 running 4.5.0.101. Had no issues...

in Aruba I had voice, data, sms on SETAR GSM/GPRS and in Dominican Republic I had voice, data, sms on Orange GSM/GPRS and/or voice and sms on whoever the CDMA operator is there.
    12-23-08 02:25 PM
    I'm running .77 in New Zealand with no issues. It also worked fine in Australia. I also had to manually switch to GSM and do a soft reboot for the data to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 02:30 AM
    Hey, I don't know if Verizon encountered the same problem with the 8830 but Alltel began doing warranty swaps for the 8830ir because there is a problem with their 8830's International Roaming. If you put a foreign sim card in the phone it would not register the card. The new 8830ir they sent me clearly says it on the sticker and says International Roaming. Hope this helps ya'll.
    Can you give more details?
    I got the Alltel 8830 Dec 17th and I am planning a South American trip in 2 weeks. How would I know if I have this new 8830ir and do I really need it?
    What is the differnence between them?
    01-13-09 07:27 PM
    Can you give more details?
    I got the Alltel 8830 Dec 17th and I am planning a South American trip in 2 weeks. How would I know if I have this new 8830ir and do I really need it?
    What is the differnence between them?
    I am with Verizon and traveled to South Africa and Paris. I purchased the sim from the Verizon store, they installed and initiated it. I called to be sure everything was a 'go' before leaving and was assured it was. Then when I got there data wasn't working. I ended up calling the international assistance number that came with the SIM and they had to do something on their side. After a reboot it worked fine and I didn't have any more issues throughout the trip. I've had my 8830 for over a year, and am not sure what the "IR" issue is about.
    01-14-09 08:35 PM
    I am with Verizon and traveled to South Africa and Paris. I purchased the sim from the Verizon store, they installed and initiated it. I called to be sure everything was a 'go' before leaving and was assured it was. Then when I got there data wasn't working. I ended up calling the international assistance number that came with the SIM and they had to do something on their side. After a reboot it worked fine and I didn't have any more issues throughout the trip. I've had my 8830 for over a year, and am not sure what the "IR" issue is about.

Can I ask what they get for the international sim at Verizon ?
    01-14-09 09:04 PM
    Can I ask what they get for the international sim at Verizon ?
    The SIM VZW provides is a Vodaphone SIM. You can get it at company stores for sure and probably larger resellers or call customer service and ask for Global support. Depending on the angle of the moon and how much you smile you may be able to get the SIM for free or you might have to pay for shipping and/or the SIM itself. I know about a year ago they charged as much as $40 for the SIM with shipping. Now that they include it with the Storm the price may be less or close to free....
    01-14-09 09:45 PM
    A year ago I got my Sim for nothing from Verizon. If you unlock the phone you can use a non-Verizon Sim if you want to.
    01-15-09 03:49 PM
    A year ago I got my Sim for nothing from Verizon. If you unlock the phone you can use a non-Verizon Sim if you want to.
    I also got my SIM for no cost. I just went into the store and said I needed one; I was prepared to pay for it, but they rang it up as a freebie.
    01-22-09 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD