I just tried calling to activate an 8830 that I just purchased used and was told that for that blackberry I can only get either the 24.99 10MB plan or the 44.99 unlimited BES plan. is this true? For some reason I thought I could still get the 29.99 plan on the 8830. am I wrong?
    01-23-08 08:45 AM
    I have the 29.99 plan on my 8703e, so I suspect you'd be able to get it on your 8830. Unless you plan on using it with your works BES server, in which case the 29.99 plan won't work for that.
    01-23-08 08:47 AM
    no I wasn't planning on using the BES. should i just try calling again and get a different agent?
    01-23-08 08:51 AM
    Yep call again, 29.9 BIS unlimited is for anyone with a black berry on VZW. BES is the higher up plan..... you change add this 29.99 feature online with your account in VZW. The deivce does not matter.
    01-23-08 09:15 AM
    Not true. I am using an 8830 with the $29.99 feature added. If you are on a "Nationwide Email Calling Plan" then you cannot since they are bundled together. You have to be on the "Nationwide Single or Family Plans" with the $29.99 feature code added. See my signature for the code.
    01-23-08 09:44 AM
    ok talked to someone else and was able to get the 29.99 plan, BUT I have a whole new problem. when trying to activate the phone, i can get data, but Verizon can't get the voice side to activate. when trying *228, it says "activation unsuccessful." If I try doing a test call or receiving a test call, it will connect and then immediately disconnect. Verizon said to check with the previous owner to see if the BB was on an enterprise account and to make sure that it is removed. I don't know if that will work, but I'm started to get worried. the ESN is valid, I checked that before I bought the phone. help...anyone?
    01-23-08 10:09 AM
    Hmmm. Not sure if this would work but give it a try. Go to "options"-"general settings" Go all the way to the bottom and see if there is anything under services (mine says ***no services***). If there is try to delete that. Again, not sure if it will work or if it even has anything to do with the phone part.
    01-23-08 10:25 AM
    It's possible the previous person jacked the Service Programming code... maybe. Is this a Verizon branded 8130? Is it silver? If you ported your number to it and then activated it via *228 then it's not that. It's possible the Verizon CSR just messed up your account. One option you have is to go online and sign into your Verizon account. Then go to Phone and choose to switch phones, pick replacement. Then put in your existing ESN where it says new ESN. This will guarantee that your ESN is correct on your account for your phone number. Then wait a few minutes (maybe 2) and do a *228 option 1 and see where you are. Do a battery pull prior to doing all this just to be on the safe side.
    01-23-08 08:23 PM
    It's possible the previous person jacked the Service Programming code... maybe. Is this a Verizon branded 8130? Is it silver? If you ported your number to it and then activated it via *228 then it's not that. It's possible the Verizon CSR just messed up your account. One option you have is to go online and sign into your Verizon account. Then go to Phone and choose to switch phones, pick replacement. Then put in your existing ESN where it says new ESN. This will guarantee that your ESN is correct on your account for your phone number. Then wait a few minutes (maybe 2) and do a *228 option 1 and see where you are. Do a battery pull prior to doing all this just to be on the safe side.

I would take it to a corporate Verizon store and have a rep pull the default feature list for the device/plan and start over. As a side note, if the ESN was incorrect in any form the device would not authenticate at all.
    01-23-08 08:52 PM

I would take it to a corporate Verizon store and have a rep pull the default feature list for the device/plan and start over. As a side note, if the ESN was incorrect in any form the device would not authenticate at all. A customer has never/will never walk away from out store with a problem like this
    01-23-08 08:54 PM
    But thats just it. the ESN was correct. We were able to get data moving on the blackberry, just couldn't get the voice side to work. I'm starting to wonder if its a software issue. Even with my other phones, when not activated, would still dial out. You would just get the message from VZW saying that the phone was not activated. with this blackberry, when I dial out, I don't hear so much as a ring. It will say connected, stay connected for literally 1 second, and disconnect. I tried reloading the software onto it, and it was no dice. no matter, I'm just going to get my money back from the guy today anyway. I really don't want to go through the hassle of going into a corp store and trying to get them to fix it. I was already told over the phone that I wouldn't be able to get a replacement since I purchased it second hand.
    01-24-08 05:46 AM
    well I might have to go with a plan B and try taking it to the store. When the original owner told me he'd refund my money, I wasn't about to hold my breath. I've tried contacting him and have yet to hear back. If I don't hear from him by the time I leave work, I will try to stop by a corp store on the way home and hopefully (please please please) they can get this thing working. I just don't understand how this thing won't work even with a clean ESN (and the ESN I assumed worked since the BB was able to transfer data back and forth).

UPDATE: Crisis averted. The original owner met with me and refunded my money.
    Last edited by wxjeremy; 01-24-08 at 08:12 PM.
    01-24-08 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD