share your families "sexy photos",
    Cue banjo music...
    08-29-09 01:35 AM
    Cue banjo music...
    08-29-09 01:36 AM
    Downloaded max mem on my 8830 running .138...file free went from 12 to 16.6 megabytes! now lets just hope this holds...

FYI I deleted VAD (voice dialing)...

I havent and dont plan on deleting anything else....

Before max mem I deleted languages I didnt use, docs2go, password keeper, brick breaker, and probably a few others i forgot to mention.

I have a 2 gig memory card installed in my phone. The only apps I have installed on here are BB appworld, Facebook, quickpull lite, and weatherbug direct....

Earlier today my phone went from 13mb file free down to 3, with nothing open...kinda frustrating...
    08-29-09 05:04 PM
    ... Don't worry about those guys who brag about 20 meg free. I suspect they have deleted so many things it's just plain silly. 5-10 meg filefree with OS 4.5 on an 8830 is fine as long as you aren't sitting at 0 filefree more often than once a month or so. ...
    I used to have a curve 8310 for 6 months before I upgraded to 8900. The file free i get after every battery pull could reach as high as 26 MB. And really, I'm not bragging. It's just that you have to really know which app you want the most on your bb. And AFAIK the memory for 83XX is the same as 88XX.

I didn't delete so many things to deserve being called "plain silly".

If you want functionality so much (which means bigger file free) then try deleting the themes. Read the 101 for optimizing the memory. Delete the files from
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.124_P2.7.0.92\Java\

"8310-v4.5.0.124_P2.7.0.92" will be your BB type and the OS version installed

If you want to keep your installer files safe, make a subfolder named "removed modules". Like this:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.124_P2.7.0.92\Java\Removed Modules

The effectively removed modules are:
    net_rim_theme_120_green_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_120_today_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_icon_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_l_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__de.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_GB.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod

For these two
    delete the one with your vendor id, in this case, mine is 120.

The themes being not installed, will give you 2.2 MB
    If you don't install all those files, you'll get 3.79 MB.

So I just use one default theme which is
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_zen_320x240_b.cod

I still have docstogo installed, complete with pdftogo. My sister is using the 8310 now. She uses facebook too.
    If you want your file free to stay away from zero, dont use google maps, because the cache files for that app could reach as high as 5 MB. I remember uninstalling it and got 5-6 MB more.

But that's just me. If you're the kind of person who likes to have themes, it's your choice.
    This i just my advice. It just happened that I opened this thread, I usually just open the 8900 forum.

I just hope I can help you guys.
    09-02-09 07:05 AM
    I used to have a curve 8310 for 6 months before I upgraded to 8900. The file free i get after every battery pull could reach as high as 26 MB. And really, I'm not bragging. It's just that you have to really know which app you want the most on your bb. And AFAIK the memory for 83XX is the same as 88XX.
    The 88XX has 64MB, the 83XX has 96MB, a huge difference when you have so little to work with to start with...

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    09-03-09 06:41 AM

I didn't delete so many things to deserve being called "plain silly".

If you want functionality so much (which means bigger file free) then try deleting the themes. Read the 101 for optimizing the memory. Delete the files from
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.124_P2.7.0.92\Java\

"8310-v4.5.0.124_P2.7.0.92" will be your BB type and the OS version installed

If you want to keep your installer files safe, make a subfolder named "removed modules". Like this:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.124_P2.7.0.92\Java\Removed Modules

The effectively removed modules are:
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_icon_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_l_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__de.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_GB.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod

For these two
    delete the one with your vendor id, in this case, mine is 120.

The themes being not installed, will give you 2.2 MB
    If you don't install all those files, you'll get 3.79 MB.

So I just use one default theme which is
    net_rim_theme_bbdimension_zen_320x240_b.cod

I still have docstogo installed, complete with pdftogo. My sister is using the 8310 now. She uses facebook too.
    If you want your file free to stay away from zero, dont use google maps, because the cache files for that app could reach as high as 5 MB. I remember uninstalling it and got 5-6 MB more.

But that's just me. If you're the kind of person who likes to have themes, it's your choice.
    This i just my advice. It just happened that I opened this thread, I usually just open the 8900 forum.

I just hope I can help you guys.
    I don't think the 83xx and 88xx are exactly a level playing field...

The 88XX has 64MB, the 83XX has 96MB, a huge difference when you have so little to work with to start with...

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    Thanks trucky for pointing this out...

Still, I investigated themes and sure enough, I do have several themes I don't use on my BB. I tried installing an iberry theme and it failed but I bet the bits of the failed install are still taking up space in my phone. I went looking for theme related files using bbfilescout but I couldn't find them. I think it's worth reloading my OS to leave off all themes but the one I'm using. I'd love to have an extra 3.9 meg, especially since I've never seen more than about 4 meg since updating my OS to 4.5.

This morning, I had a nasty incident where my filefree was pegged at 0 and I was watching a particularly uninteresting hourglass. It turns out I left BB maps running in the background after a failed attempt to use it on the road the other day. I had typed in the address, fatfingered one character and was faced with typing the whole thing over again. In a moving car. What a badly written app. As we were stressed out trying to get directions at the time, I forgot to close the app and it stayed running for several days in the background. Anyway, this morning when I saw my filefree sitting at 0, I tried using quickpull to free memory but it got a java exception so I looked at other ways to clear filefree. I also noticed my setting to "clean memory" had reset itself. It was disabled and the clean memory icon was gone from my home page. I did a power down and back on to regain control of my phone and even though my filefree still said zero, I had enough control to back in and re-enable memory cleaning. I picked up a whopping 1 meg but decided to do the battery pull anyway. This time, quickpull pro still failed to work so I went ahead and manually pulled my battery. Now it's roughly 7 hours later and I'm seeing 1.8 meg filefree.

Now that the app store is working better, I'd love to be able to download and install apps but 2 meg filefree on a relatively freshly reset phone is a big deterrent for me.

Edit: I just tried quickpull pro this afternoon and it is working now. So when I've got close to 2 meg filefree and don't need it, it works fine. When I'm pegged at 0 and hourglassing, I gotta pry the back off my phone. Brilliant. I'm thinking I need a different phone if I want a decent third party app experience. Perhaps I'll consider the Tour. I'm waiting for the phone to finish booting so I can provide the highest possible filefree I can get these days. It's 5.4 meg. But within an hour I'll be down to 2 meg without launching a single app. I do notice that mobipocket reader is running all the time, even after every battery pull. I'd hate to lose the ability to read mobipocket ebooks but if it's the leaker, it's gotta go.
    Last edited by r0k; 09-03-09 at 01:08 PM.
    09-03-09 12:56 PM
    even on the vzw page it states the 8830 and 8830 both have 64megs...

never seen an 8330 have 96...

EDIT:

I guess i misread...i was just looking at pricing of the pearl flip and 8330 and the 8330 does have 96:
    8330:
    96 MB Flash Memory/32 MB RAM

i guess i meant they have the same amount of ram, which they do.
    Last edited by jfriend33; 09-03-09 at 05:39 PM.
    09-03-09 05:07 PM
    Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

32MB RAM/96MB Flash Memory

Enter your location
    09-03-09 05:27 PM

I'm sorry. Are you talking about 8330 or 83xx? I had an 8310. And as far as i remember, 8310 and 8320 have 64 MB. Say that "huge difference" when you've done your research well enough. I wasn't really talking about 8330 when i wrote 64MB on 83xx. My mistake on that part. You're right on one thing, 8330 has 96 MB. Don't mind me then, just trying to help to increase the file free.
    09-12-09 08:10 AM
    I've read on this site that your bb will get sluggish under 12 mb. I've been proactive and deleted a lot of things I don't need. I have the apps I need for the moment, and have 23 at bootup on my 8320. it doesn't make me a fanatic, it just means I'm proactive with the limited memory my phone has.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 02:10 PM
    so today i made sure i would receive no facebook messages. i closed the app. the memory still went from 15mgs down 8...i cleared the browser cache and it went back to 11...

so its not facebook causing a leak, right?

can a memory leak happen with an application even if its not running like pandora or facebook?

i know its not weatherbug direct because i did delete that one and it still acted the same.

ive deleted everything i dont use like docs 2 go, bbm, etc...it helped a lot...but i did not delete themes i dont use....

sorry to complain... i am much happier with this new 8830we (silver) than i was with my red 8830we... i used to get the spinning clock 24/7 on the red one and now it happens maybe once a week...

i would like to try uscellulars new OS but i hear there are some known problems with it, like chirping during calls....

whats the best os for this phone in your opinion? im running vzws latest... i think its 4.5.138 or something
    09-13-09 10:55 PM
    I've deleted a number of apps.

Aerize card loader... Gone!
    (my registration info got dropped and I decided to do without rather than try to dig it up again)
    Mobipocket reader... Gone!
    Sensobi - on my phone for 10 minutes then ... Gone!
    s4bb memory booster ... Gone! (never worked anyway)

I still have docs2go but it's on my short list.

The bottom line is this: OS 138 has a bad memory leak. It's not bad enough to send me running all the way back down to 4.2.2.196 but it's a pretty bad excuse for the newest officially supported OS for the 8830.

Fresh after a quickpull I have about 6 meg filefree. 1 minute later I'm down to 3 meg. I've done nothing in that time. Nothing. While I know the 8830 is an older phone, I expect Verizon to release one more OS update for this phone to solve this annoying memory leak. I could get down to 0 filefree back when I had 4.2.2.196 but I get there almost instantly now that I'm running 138. And why should I have to do without docs2go when docs2go is one of the reasons I got 138?

This thread is one several and possibly as many as a dozen threads all dealing with memory on the 8830. 64 Meg was never enough internal memory for BB OS. For my next device, I want something that doesn't punish me for trying to run more than 1 or 2 third party apps. I have an iPod Touch and the seamless experience is enough to get me thinking about iPhone. If only it was available on Verizon. Perhaps the Storm 2 or Tour will suffice... But I've all but given up on BB App World and the whole 3rd party app experience on the 8830, at least until RIM gives us an OS that doesn't leak like a sieve.
    09-15-09 11:25 AM
    I've read on this site that your bb will get sluggish under 12 mb. I've been proactive and deleted a lot of things I don't need. I have the apps I need for the moment, and have 23 at bootup on my 8320. it doesn't make me a fanatic, it just means I'm proactive with the limited memory my phone has.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You've read wrong. The 8830 runs perfectly well with under 5MB free. Mine boots with over 13MB free and runs between 4-5MB free after about a week of usage and then holds steady. Never need to reset and the phone never slows down one bit.

I've got the following installed:

3rd party theme
    brickbreaker
    ace's texas hold 'em
    telenav GPS
    poynt
    palringo
    facebook
    berry-a-code
    berrybuzz
    berryweather
    ringz
    phonelog
    splashid
    operamini
    bb maps
    forceradioon
    meters
    09-15-09 11:40 AM
    You've read wrong. The 8830 runs perfectly well with under 5MB free. Mine boots with over 13MB free and runs between 4-5MB free after about a week of usage and then holds steady. Never need to reset and the phone never slows down one bit.

I've got the following installed:

3rd party theme
    brickbreaker
    ace's texas hold 'em
    telenav GPS
    poynt
    palringo
    facebook
    berry-a-code
    berrybuzz
    berryweather
    ringz
    phonelog
    splashid
    operamini
    bb maps
    forceradioon
    meters
    OK how in the HECK do you have all that installed and your phone doesn't crash or do the spinning clock? How many of those apps do you run at a time? Which OS are you running? Basically if you could just break down every bit of detail on your phone that would be greatly appreciated....(like how often you do a battery pull, memory card, memory cleaning, how often you clean browser cache, etc, etc)
    09-15-09 05:50 PM
    I never do a battery pull and memory card doesn't make any difference. I never clean the browser cache or anything else like that.

I've always got berrybuzz, berryweather, ringz, phonelog, facebook and brickbreaker running in the background.

Just running the hybrid and did shrinkOS on it before loading.
    09-15-09 06:42 PM
    which hybrid? 8830 Hybrid OS .160 + os5.0 (BETA) ???

any problems with that hybrid???
    09-15-09 08:46 PM
    which hybrid? 8830 Hybrid OS .160 + os5.0 (BETA) ???

any problems with that hybrid???
    That's the one. Not a single problem. Never had any beeping in the earpiece and never had a media processor error. As long as you know what you're doing when you flash the phone, you shouldn't have any trouble.
    09-15-09 10:01 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD