About once a week or so, I find my phone has 0 filefree. After reboot I get about 5 meg. I just deleted gmail this afternoon so now I get 5.9 meg after a battery pull.

But I'm annoyed that if I simply walk around my BB finds a way to get itself to 0 filefree. And switch application rarely turns up anything beyond the usual always running suspects. Sometimes my BB has gotten itself so stupid I have to physically wrestle the cover off because it's so bogged down even quickpull doesn't respond. Today, I decided to nuke gmail and use the reset as my quickpull. Nope. Options->Advanced->Applications never responded. I had to sit through 2 resets. 1 to get my BB working well enough to let me delete gmail and another for the deletion itself.

I have OS 4.5...138 (Verizon) with docs2go.

I have
    aerize card reader (which I rarely use),
    handmark pocket express (should I delete this?),
    mobipocket reader (I'd hate to have to delete this),
    olivetree biblereader,
    nintai,
    midpssh,
    sudoku,
    yomotion advanced calculator,
    google sync (rarely use, perhaps I could delete this?),
    bb file scout,
    missing sync,
    quickpull,
    memory booster ( which says it frees 5 meg but rarely frees more than a few hundred k),
    twitterberry,
    facebook and
    bb app world.

I'm listing these in case anybody recognizes a known memory leaker in the group. I don't mind dumping the games and ebook readers since I've started to carry around my ipod touch. In a waiting room, I'm more likely to pull out my itouch to pass the time than to bother with my BB, unless I simply need to check email.

Perhaps I can go back to one device if I ever get a Tour but for now I need a pda that is virtually limitless (like the 'touch). The memory footprint of the 8830 is rather cramped to say the least. While I'm impressed that BB OS is rather stable and I never really lose anything in these 0 filefree events, the fact I can't simply run apps from sdhc card and I can't fit enough apps to fit my needs in internal memory is rather silly.
    08-18-09 01:50 PM
    your signature kinda contradicts your post, no?
    08-18-09 04:15 PM
    your signature kinda contradicts your post, no?
    No. You would have to know my history before I came to BB to know that 0 filefree and a few nuisance resets are not sufficient reason for me to change my sig. Now if I was back in the land of Treo where every reset meant loss of bluetooth pairings then I'd be bothered about the 0 filefree. As it is, I'm mildly annoyed and will fix it when I get around to it. Do you have anything to offer as far as finding a culprit?

When it comes to satisfaction in a mobile device, my criteria are as follows:
    1 - availability - always always always works for making and receiving calls - apps are secondary
    2 - email - push email always arrives without debugging and tweaks on my part
    3 - never lose data
    4 - never run out of memory - BB OS hasn't got this figured out yet, but items 1-3 are covered.

So to return to the topic of this thread, does anyone have an idea why I would be seeing a filefree of 0 all the time? After today's reset I had 5.9 meg filefree. An hour later, I was down to 3 meg. Now I'm at 2 meg. I have not done anything but read my email and make a few calls.
    08-18-09 06:00 PM
    08-19-09 02:42 AM
    Thanks, 312. I will take a look.

I suppose I really could opt to leave docs2go off my phone as well. It turns out I've only bothered to run it a few times. I remember docs2go took up a lot of space. The built in viewers for office docs are adequate. I really don't expect my smartphone to allow me to edit a document and email it back again. I guess I'm just jaded. I might have entertained such an expectation a few years back, but on the tiny screen of most smartphones, editing a spreadsheet or word document is frustrating for me. I did notice that verizon took out the sample images and videos from the 138 install for me but I'd love to get rid of any other fluff I can.

I still suspect I have a memory leaker on my phone. Perhaps it's google sync or funambol scheduleworld plugin. Today I'm down to 1.5 meg filefree after a battery pull yesterday. Sometimes, after I get close to 0, the OS frees some memory by itself but after about a week, I find I'm stuck at 0 filefree and must do a reset to get my phone working without hourglassing.
    08-19-09 07:59 AM
    You could also delete portions of Doc-to-go, I got ride of Slides.

I could probably get rid of the rest, too as I rarely use any of it.
    08-19-09 08:17 PM
    Get rid of apps you dont use/need. Also use BBFileScout to get rid of sample media, CrackMeme and/or Shrink-A-OS to get rid of all preloaded useless unneeded junk. Download .160 which has better memory management and runs smoother and faster. Check out the Increase File Free thread in my sig for more info. Also turn off any auto updates on apps, as well as maku sure you are completely closing out of all apps completely. Are you running any themes? Those could be hogs too

Edit: Oops you have BBFileScout already so you know how that works. Also are you clearing your logs regularly? Event, SMS, MMS, email, phone call, etc. As well as clearing your cache on the browser?
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 08-19-09 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add text
    08-19-09 08:22 PM
    Thanks! I will be trying these suggestions in the coming days.
    08-19-09 11:29 PM
    New user here. Sorry to be chiming in with a followup question which, I'm sure, has already been the subject of a long discussion. If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

I too have been watching my FileFree dwindle to zero every day or two. A quick battery pull restores the available memory to about 5MB. My question: where the heck did ~59 MB of the 64MB of available memory on the 8830 vanish? Is there a way to see what programs or processes or databases are chewing up what amount of memory?

I have read through various suggestions for optimizing available memory. I am willing to implement these strategies, if need be. But first, I'd like to understand where the 64MB of available memory on the 8830 has gone. I'd hate to slog through these memory-pinching procedures to save myself a few 100 KB only to discover that some hog program is killing 20MBs.

For what it's worth: I'm running only a few 3rd-party apps: Vlingo and GoogleMobile. I deleted Viigo, Slacker, GoogleMaps in search of a cultprit; that bought me an additional 2 or 3MB. I have been clearing the caches dutifully and I've been careful to completely close out applications.

Any tips would be very welcome.
    08-24-09 07:52 PM
    Viigo was a big leaker when I had it installed under OS 4.2.2 so I didn't bring it back when I installed OS 4.5. I recently deleted gmail and my filefree has hovered around 2 meg. I suspect the real culprit is Facebook. I like it and use it from time to time so I might opt to dump docs2go which I use very rarely. Where does the memory go? That's a question you will get answered by going through the BB 101 lectures here at CB as well as looking through the memory saving tutorials. I suggest you don't spend a lot of time tweaking the OS to remove a few apps when it's a lot easier to find a leaky third party app.

Be sure to close vlingo and google mobile by exiting from the menu. Don't simply use escape or the end button. You must tell the app you want it to quit. Sometimes the memory doesn't come back right away. BB OS is java based so its memory management is somewhat mysterious. If you walk around with 0 filefree for too long, the OS will start eating your call logs and even your emails to make room.

What eats memory? Leaks. Poorly written apps eat memory. Also incoming email eats memory. So does your call log. After installing OS 4.5, I only had about 5 meg filefree at the most. This is because I chose to install docs2go knowing it was a space hog. I have quite a few 3rd party apps so I expect to have some memory issues. With only a few apps, you should be able to walk around with several meg free. Don't worry about those guys who brag about 20 meg free. I suspect they have deleted so many things it's just plain silly. 5-10 meg filefree with OS 4.5 on an 8830 is fine as long as you aren't sitting at 0 filefree more often than once a month or so. Of course, it's best to never see 0 filefree but I don't suggest obsessing over it. BB OS memory is not like a "normal" os where memory is static and doesn't come back. Sometimes I see 0 filefree and I check a few hours later and 2 meg has been freed up. I only consider rebooting when I'm stuck hourglassing and I need a responsive phone right away.

I'm still looking for a balance between enough apps and enough filefree, but I don't plan on any aggressive memory modifications except for perhaps dumping docs2go.
    08-24-09 10:32 PM
    Thanks for this very kind and helpful response.
    08-25-09 08:02 AM
    Aside from your 3rd party applications, have you deleted the stock things that come with the OS that you may not use?

With added apps like you have you may be able to delete notepad, tasks, password keeper etc to free additional memory.
    08-25-09 08:08 AM
    Thanks for this very kind and helpful response.
    You're welcome!

Aside from your 3rd party applications, have you deleted the stock things that come with the OS that you may not use?

With added apps like you have you may be able to delete notepad, tasks, password keeper etc to free additional memory.
    I use notepad but I bet I could dump tasks and password keeper. I'll give it some thought. I'm not in a hurry so rather than use my work pc to do these tweaks, perhaps I'll wait for Desktop Manager for OSX and do them at home. I'd really love to have my BB backed up on my home hard drive rather than my work hard drive.
    08-25-09 10:55 AM
    The sad part is the 8830 WE doesn't come with much free space to start with. Then you start adding your favorite apps and it goes away quickly. It was never an easy decision for me as to which app(s) to delete to keep it running happily. But the fact is you've got too much junk in the trunk and to keep your bb happy you'll have to be aggressive in your memory management or delete some apps.
    08-25-09 02:02 PM
    I'm astonished that I have lived and worked with so many Blackberry users for all these years and not known that memory management was a constant housekeeping chore? This is really not part of what I thought I was signing onto...alas.

As it happens, I do have a memo or two (and a password-protected file or two) that I would prefer to maintain. Unloading a few small, seldom-used apps just feels like nickel-and-diming when there's some big-ticket memory hog to be hunted down and destroyed, elsewhere.
    08-25-09 04:17 PM
    Memory Management isn't really a constant housekeeping chore... unless you're like me and think you must try every new app that shows up. I think I had 8 different GPS apps on mine at one time. The "average" bb user I think is a bit less of a propeller-head than many of us here. I know most of the bb users I see around here barely use the features that come with it, let alone add on any new goodies.
    08-26-09 11:37 AM
    I'm astonished that I have lived and worked with so many Blackberry users for all these years and not known that memory management was a constant housekeeping chore? This is really not part of what I thought I was signing onto...alas.

As it happens, I do have a memo or two (and a password-protected file or two) that I would prefer to maintain. Unloading a few small, seldom-used apps just feels like nickel-and-diming when there's some big-ticket memory hog to be hunted down and destroyed, elsewhere.
    Memory Management isn't really a constant housekeeping chore... unless you're like me and think you must try every new app that shows up. I think I had 8 different GPS apps on mine at one time. The "average" bb user I think is a bit less of a propeller-head than many of us here. I know most of the bb users I see around here barely use the features that come with it, let alone add on any new goodies.
    I agree, trucky. But this won't be true for long. I started to respond to Bismol earlier but got busy. I have 100+ apps on my ipod touch. I walked around with 100+ apps when I had Palm smartphones. Blackberry OS is not as third party app friendly. It doesn't seamlessly let me run apps from sd card nor do I get 8 gig of internal memory like I have on my ipod touch. If only BB OS would allow me to run apps from sd card, this memory thing would be a no brainer because I'd move almost all of them to sd card on a device like the 8830 which is bordering on overstuffed before I add my first app. I might opt for a Tour or Storm 2 going forward and one big reason will be more internal memory. The average BB user probably isn't facing what I'm facing. I've got a bible, 2 ebook readers and over a dozen other apps. This is not typical... Yet...

I agree that the average BB user walks around with an app or two and never thinks about memory management, but this is changing even as I write this. Now that RIM is pushing BB app world, they really ought to make it easier for us to automagically manage our memory if they want to enjoy the profits the iphone app store enjoys. On any ithing, memory is virtually limitless. If RIM keeps pushing BB app world and doesn't offer a long term solution for no-brainer memory management, there are going to be a lot of frustrated users who want to have 10 pages of apps like their iphone toting friends but they are limited to half a dozen apps before seeing memory issues.
    08-26-09 03:33 PM
    True, the SD card would sure open up things a lot. But then, having a measly Gig internal isn't such a big thing any more and would make the whole banana better.
    08-26-09 03:59 PM
    With the 8830, I have found that if you can have at least 10MB free after a battery pull, you rarely will run out of memory. Once you drop down your free memory under 10MB, you'll find it a lot easier to burn through the remaining memory.

Anytime I look at adding another app, I always look to see how close I am to the 10MB mark. I then have to weigh the improance of what is installed, and what I want to install. I hate that it is this way with the 8830, but so be it.
    08-26-09 04:11 PM
    With the 8830, I have found that if you can have at least 10MB free after a battery pull, you rarely will run out of memory. Once you drop down your free memory under 10MB, you'll find it a lot easier to burn through the remaining memory.

Anytime I look at adding another app, I always look to see how close I am to the 10MB mark. I then have to weigh the improance of what is installed, and what I want to install. I hate that it is this way with the 8830, but so be it.
    Kinda like my gas guage... seems to barely move till it hits the quarter tank mark, then you can almost watch it fall.
    08-26-09 04:16 PM
    Hey guys...can't believe this slipped my mind. Sorry for not posting it sooner.

Some of you may want to try MaxMem, it's sort of an alternative to using Shrink-A-OS.

Frees up to 5MB of memory on your BlackBerry no matter what the type! Not only does it release memory, you will also feel a slight increase in response time. MaxMem will remove apps, themes, and files in your BlackBerry that you don�t use.

It does remove Voice Activated Dialing, Push to talk, and quite a few other pesky applications.

You can download it in the Apps section OTA by loading BlackBerryTrade.com Mobile on your device.

Installation Instructions

NOTE: To avoid data loss in case of error, such as accidentally deleting currently used theme, do a BlackBerry database back up using Desktop Manager. Most errors on the BlackBerry can be restored using Desktop Manager.

MaxMem will remove VAD and a few other things from your device, BUT when you use DM for anything it re-installs VAD and everything else you removed. Therefore we recommend that you leave MaxMem installed on your device so you can easily run the MaxMem process again after using the App Loader.
    Get it OTA, HERE.
    08-27-09 03:03 AM
    I hit 0 filefree this morning. I went to free some memory and ran memory booster. It said it freed a few hundred k. Liar, liar plants for hire. Then I found this review here at cb. Apparently memory booster not only doesn't work, it is the cause of memory problems. It's gone from my device now. From now on, before I buy an app, I'll google it and search it here at cb before putting my money down for something that works poorly or not at all. I'm surprised nobody spotted it in my list of apps at the beginning of this thread but at least I know better now.

I may decide to give maxmem a try if my memory hits 0 filefree again now that memorybooster is gone.

BTW, I found a free way to free memory!
    Go to options->security options->memory cleaning
    What?
    Yes. It's under security options. Intuitive (not)
    Anyway, you can let your BB automatically clean out its caches and recover modest bits of memory.
    It made no difference on my freshly rebooted phone (after deleting memorybooster) but I expect it could help next time I'm seeing close to 0 filefree. The best part? There is an option to put a memory cleaner icon on the home screen! Definitely a good find and I'm optimistic I will not have to shell out any more money for those memory boosting solutions. I may decide to nuke a few more apps or unused bits of my OS, but I'm very optimistic about my BB 8830's memory from now on.
    Last edited by r0k; 08-27-09 at 10:05 AM.
    08-27-09 09:19 AM
    Thanks to you all for the reassurance, for the information, and especially for treating my whining so kindly.

Though I have only recently joined the Blackberry community, r0k's suspicion that things are changing rapidly rings true with me. The motivating force, I suspect, is iEnvy. We gearheads (I'm a recent convert from Palm) have long known that PDAs and Smartphone could accomodate a world of applications beyond simple email, phone, calendar and address book; that understanding is fast spreading to the general user population, fueled by the "There's an app for that" mentality. I won't remain a Blackberry user for long if I have to choose between even basic apps like DocstoGo, Viigo, Vlingo, Slacker, GoogleMaps.

<MORE, MORE...I want MORE...hear me ROAR!>

Building more memory into the device and/or making it possible to run/store apps from the SD card would certainly be nice. But right now, my problem isn't that I've overloaded the internal memory with apps. I can account for roughly 15MB of 3rd-party crap that I've loaded. Yet the device reports fewer than 7MB of Free File space. That leaves upwards of 40MB unaccounted for. Some Pigram is chewing up my memory and I can't account for it.

Whine Whine Whine...Best wishes to you all!
    08-27-09 09:22 AM
    Sorry..shoulda been clearer: My 15MB estimate includes both the handful of 3rd-party crap I loaded and the stuff that came pre-loaded with the device.
    08-27-09 09:25 AM
    Sexy Girl Photos - Mis-representation of Products

With immediate effect, we will start removing items which is posted with "sexy girls pictures / photos"

The following are allowed :

- Lingeries & swim suits - but please make sure you cover any necessaries "areas", if not , we will still remove it.

The rest are not allowed. If you have any other question, please do write to our feedback.

For the rest of products, please do not use "Sexy Girl photos"

FAQ:

Is there any guideline ?

1. We don't think you need that, as 100% of all photo posted are misrepresentation of their products.

2. 100% picture posted are also copyrighted, which mean you don't have right to post them.

3. IF you want to share your families "sexy photos", you are welcome to post in our photo galleries.

ht tp://aspspider.info/taolaptop
    08-29-09 01:24 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD