I have not done a batt pull in three days and iv watched my ram go from 10 MB down to 5 MB at this point. I understand that this is called a memory leak and can be fixed with a simple batttery pull. I was wondering is any knows the real reason this happends, and what arethe real world effects. My phone sleems a little slower but not bad really. I have os verson 4.5.135 and leave no apps open longer than needed. Thanks in advance for any info
    Last edited by ullrichv2; 04-11-09 at 07:20 PM.
    04-11-09 07:14 PM
    The OS in your 8830 allocates memory as it is needed by applications, and recovers the memory when the application is closed. That's how it is supposed to work. What happens in the real world is that some applications behave badly, and don't close properly, so that the OS can't recover the memory. The OS itself, especially if it's still in beta, can also have memory usage problems.

A battery pull fixes the problem by terminating all running programs and reloading the OS. For stable operation, you need about 12 000 000 bytes file free. Running at 5 000 000 bytes file free is right on the edge of triggering memory triage. When that happens, the OS starts deleting what it considers less important data to free up memory. The problem is, the OS considers Phone logs, SMS messages, and old calendar entries as expendable when it has to recover memory. That's usually NOT what the user wants to give up. The only way to prevent memory triage is to stay out of low memory situations. Hence the recommendation to stay above 12 000 000 bytes file free.
    04-11-09 09:13 PM
    wow thank you very much, how many bytes does the 8830 come with without extra applications loaded. I guess to say iff i wipe the phone of all extra apps other than the ones that come with it out of the box, how many bytes am i left with?
    04-11-09 09:18 PM
    wow thank you very much, how many bytes does the 8830 come with without extra applications loaded. I guess to say iff i wipe the phone of all extra apps other than the ones that come with it out of the box, how many bytes am i left with?
    That's a good question. The 8830 is a 64MB device. Mine shows 19 112 979 bytes file free out of 47 841 280 bytes file total. With almost nothing on it, I have had the file free value around 25 000 000 bytes. It's been almost a year since I wiped and reloaded my 8830, so I don't recall the file free amount immediately after a reload. I'm running OS 4.2.2.196, which as of this writing is still the latest version released by Verizon.

The CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay and available from a link in my sig is the best way I know to systematically recover memory wasted by files that you don't need. I highly recommend it.
    04-11-09 09:30 PM
    I"v done most of those optomization procedures and am trying to keep as much stuff off my phone as possible. I *upgraded*(who knows how much of an upgrade it really is LOL) from 4.2.2.196 to a new betta 4.5.135 and have found that i like the browser much better, although i feel that the phone is a tad bit slower when scrolling around the basic menus(which no one agrees with me) than when i had it on 4.2.2- anyways do you believe verizon did not go with these betta's that are out bc of their leaks?
    04-11-09 09:37 PM
    I don't have any insider information on Verizon or any carrier. I consider it highly unlikely that Verizon is not releasing OS 4.5 for the 8830 because of pique over leaks. More likely, they are simply too busy supporting other OS's to put the resources into completing the release of an upgrade for a device that's near the end of it's life in their product lineup.
    04-11-09 09:47 PM
    Thank u very much you've been more than helpful!
    04-11-09 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD