Newbie here, but I am the tinkering kind. I am good with computers and phones [I work for Verizon] and since the 8830 I have now is only temporary I wanna try to upgrade to the latest OS. Which can I install on this device?
    10-23-08 07:11 PM
    You can only install a 8830 OS on the 8830. I don't believe any carriers have released 4.5 for the 8830. You can try a google search for a beta 4.5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 07:15 PM
    I have 4.5.0.51 (Platform 3.2.0.41)

Not sure if there is one above this though.
    10-24-08 10:58 AM
    I have 4.5.0.51 (Platform 3.2.0.41)

Not sure if there is one above this though.
    You can find 4.5.0.77 for the 8830 WE. I've been using it on Sprint 8830 WE for the past 7 weeks.

It does take up more of the BB memory, tho, so you may need to dump some unused apps in order to keep it stable.
    10-24-08 11:05 AM
    You can find 4.5.0.77 for the 8830 WE. I've been using it on Sprint 8830 WE for the past 7 weeks.

It does take up more of the BB memory, tho, so you may need to dump some unused apps in order to keep it stable.
    Thanks! I thought there was a newer OS.

I usually only have 3MB-6MB left on the 8830WE, it's really annoying. I have taken everything off that I don't need too.

I can't wait for the Storm -
    10-24-08 11:14 AM

I've tried to update to the 4.5 OS from my Sprint 8830 WE and it's saying I already have the latest software, but it's not reflecting that in my settings. Any help/suggestions?

gracias
    10-24-08 11:34 AM
    I deleted my copy of device manager on my machine and downloaded the 4.5.0.77 version from here. (sorry... too many rules, just google 4.5.0.77 as the poster below said).
    After it was done installing it asked if I wanted to load the application loader and I went for it. It is updating my phone to 4.5 as we speak.

In fact almost done, on step 10 of 11!

Edit: P.S. It worked perfectly with many more multimedia updates.
    Last edited by bminucci; 10-24-08 at 03:32 PM. Reason: inappropriate beta link
    10-24-08 11:59 AM
    DO NOT POST ANY BETA LINKS. Board rules to keep them in good graces with RIM. You can however mention google my screen name and 4.5.0.77 and you will find what you are looking for.

bminucci, I would suggest editing your post so a moderator does not have to do it for you.
    10-24-08 12:11 PM
    I found 4.5.0.77 and am downloading it right now. What if I find a version that is carrier provided? [ie. from Sprint or Vodafone]
    10-24-08 08:55 PM
    DO NOT POST ANY BETA LINKS. Board rules to keep them in good graces with RIM. You can however mention google my screen name and 4.5.0.77 and you will find what you are looking for.

bminucci, I would suggest editing your post so a moderator does not have to do it for you.
    dude, i go to your blog for all my 4.5 needs. plus the music is awesome.
    10-25-08 10:23 AM
    Guys

The install for 4.5 began, but then it would stop on the "connecting to boot ROM" section and eventually fail. Is there something Im missing here?
    10-25-08 02:33 PM
    Savage_beast, cool! Always glad I can help!

Dave, my advice would be preserve the backup it did of your data, download crackmem from Pete6, follow the details of how to wipe your device, then reload fresh, then reload your data. PM me if you need some more help....

10-25-08 02:50 PM

Dave, my advice would be preserve the backup it did of your data, download crackmem from Pete6, follow the details of how to wipe your device, then reload fresh, then reload your data. PM me if you need some more help....

So basically back up and restore phone to factory conditions and then proceed with the upgrade? Cool Ill try that after work, thanks!

Ill PM if anything.

Dave
    10-25-08 04:15 PM

Thanks for that pointer. I just finished the update process, and restored my backed up files. The phone is running a lot quicker and snappier than before. Me likey!

Thanks a mill.
    10-26-08 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD