Hey, I'm fairly new to "smart" phones, but I have plenty of tech experience so lay your answers on however you feel necessary, I don't need layman's terms.

I've had my BB 8830 for about a month. Great phone, first one I've owned that is more than just a phone/text msg machine.

I have 1 big issue right now, and 2 other slight concerns.

Big Issue:
    When I'm using the web browser, it seems like certain scripts will give the phone some uninterruptable process that never finishes. Basically it seems that every 3-4 seconds, the phone freezes and I get the "thinking icon" (hourglass) in the middle of the screen. If I sit and let it run, it never goes away. If I close the web browser, it doesn't go away. If I close every application possible, it doesn't go away. The only way to get it to go away is to turn off the BB and remove the battery. Yes just a normal or full power off won't reconcile the problem, I need to remove the battery. As you can imagine this is frustrating.

Has anyone else seen this behavior before? I have plenty of memory, I have an 8gb card in there, which now brings me to my next point.

When I formatted the card with the BB, it turned it into 3.8gb instead of the full 8 it should be. Although when the card was originally placed in the BB it recognized it as 8gb and stated so in options. Is this just a limitation on the OS? Much like Win 98 not seeing over 5gb on a HDD, or Vista only capable of using 3gb of ram?

Also are there any programs out there that would let me view the BB's processes and possibly turn them off, much like ctrl-alt-delete menu (task-manager)?

Thanks for the help in advance. I searched around but I didn't really see anything overly pertinent to my problems, admittedly I didn't look for anything having to do with the MicroSD format issue.

Thank you again.

-Mike
    08-25-08 12:33 PM
    1. Yes the browser can get stuck. Keep updating os when it is available
    and hope that it fixes it. It is like a background process hanging.

2. What version of OS are you using. I believe only OS 4.5 (not available
    yet excep as leaked beta 4.5.0.51) will support 8gb.
    08-25-08 02:11 PM
    Hi

Although you have a memory card this is not used for operational purposes, just storing media.

To check your file free memory go to options > status and read your file free, it is good to keep it at around 15mb free for best performance.

When you do a battery pull you restore some free memory also, check your free memory before and after a battery pull and see for yourself.

Also it is a good idea to clear your browser cache regularly. Open browser, hit menu key select options > cache operations and clear the cache.

Welcome to CB by the way
    Last edited by Hazysky; 08-25-08 at 02:24 PM.
    08-25-08 02:18 PM
    1) The browser sucks on Blackberry and can get hung up on scripts as you discovered. Use Opera Mini instead and you'll have better success and a much better browsing experience.

2) A memory card in the phone will not increase the amount of memory it has for application and process usage. It's not like a WinMo device. This is one of RIM's biggest weaknesses with this platform. As for it's size support, get the latest version of the OS off of Verizon's website (BlackBerry® Software Updates), it will support the 8GB card you have.
    08-25-08 02:46 PM
    Thank you for the responses.

To answer a couple of comments.

-I have my phone fully updated, 4.2xxxx is what Verizon is on currently, they like to lag behind.
    -JRS answered my very next question about there being other browser options, thank you!
    -I've been keeping my caches clear and my sys mem around 15mb free.

2 more quick questions.
    -Is there a way to view processes?
    -Where do downloaded items get dumped? Is there a way to see the file system, either through a gui like windows would have (explorer, folders, etc) or possibly through some kind of "root" prompt like Linux's gnome?

Thanks again.
    08-26-08 07:40 AM
    The Media Player has a File Explorer. Just start Media Player. Press the Menu Key and pick EXPLORE. You can see files stored on internal memory and Media Card. You can also move/copy/delete and view some file types.
    08-26-08 08:28 AM
    2 more quick questions.
    -Is there a way to view processes?
    -Where do downloaded items get dumped? Is there a way to see the file system, either through a gui like windows would have (explorer, folders, etc) or possibly through some kind of "root" prompt like Linux's gnome?

Thanks again.

ALT+ESC will show you a ribbon with running programs.

By default all things downloaded (pics, pages, etc. while browsing the web) go in the browser cache. If you empty that, it'll clear all that out. If you download a program OTA and load it, that gets installed as modules on the OS itself. Programs can be uninstalled via the Options/Advanced/Applications. The BB does not keep local copies of programs downloaded and then installed. By this I mean, it'll not keep a copy of both the downloaded install file and the installed program itself because the OTA install file is just a pointer as to what files/modules it needs to load. Since the installs are done via the browser, any of this info is also in that cache which you empty out from time to time.

As for your 8GB card issue, make sure you're on the .196 release. According to the below readme from the download, it'll allow 8gb cards to work. Once installed, you'll need to reformat the memory card under the new OS to see the full size.

Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce new software enhancements for
    your BlackBerry� 8830 World Edition smartphone. The RIM� OS v4.2.2.196
    (Platform 3.0.0.84) update includes the latest feature improvements for
    your device.
    To ensure the best possible user experience, Verizon Wireless and Research
    In Motion encourage you to download and install the free update now.
    The latest OS update:
    � Improves location-based services (LBS) and VZ NavigatorSM performance.
    � Provides support for 2 GB and 8 GB microSD cards.
    � Displays Chinese carrier names with Chinese characters when
    connected to a GSM network.
    � Makes upgrading software on the device quicker and easier.
    To download the software update, please visit vzam.net/blackberry.
    08-26-08 09:50 AM
    ...Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce new software enhancements for
    your BlackBerry� 8830 World Edition smartphone. The RIM� OS v4.2.2.196
    (Platform 3.0.0.84) update includes the latest feature improvements for
    your device.
    To ensure the best possible user experience, Verizon Wireless and Research
    In Motion encourage you to download and install the free update now.
    The latest OS update:
    Improves location-based services (LBS) and VZ NavigatorSM performance.
    • Provides support for 2 GB and 8 GB microSD cards.
    • Displays Chinese carrier names with Chinese characters when
    connected to a GSM network.
    • Makes upgrading software on the device quicker and easier.
    To download the software update, please visit vzam.net/blackberry.
    I know you're not on .196 anymore, but while you were, did you notice any change in what LBS provided when used with an external GPS? With .176, I could never tell that it did anything.
    08-26-08 12:44 PM
    I know you're not on .196 anymore, but while you were, did you notice any change in what LBS provided when used with an external GPS? With .176, I could never tell that it did anything.
    Never used a puck or VZNav at all. Any changes for LBS they did between .176 and .196 are not functionality changes.... meaning that the process is the same as before for the APIs and PDE calls.
    08-26-08 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD