I will be taking a cruise later this year in the europe. One of the brochures they gave us talks about bringing your GSM phone with you on the ship. The brochure specifically mentioned Blackberries and per KB usage costs along with higher than normal phone costs than what you would pay with Verizon overseas. The company providing the service is SeaMobile. Soooo does anyone have experience with this company?

I have tons of questions on this. How far off the coast due they have to be to turn the network on? How do I know when I am roaming on a per KB rate? Will Verizon still charge me even on their "global unlimited" plan?

The cruise I am looking at stops in a different port just about eveyrday. I don't really need to use the phone/data all that much at sea, but am concerned if I accidentally leave it on and it automatically switches to this "SeaMobile" network that I could rack up some serious charges.
    07-21-07 07:09 PM
    Be very careful using a Blackberry on a cruise ship. My sister in law took hers on a cruise. She kept getting notifications of e-mails. She read a few. When she got home she had a $500 bill. Depending on your carrier you will pay from about $2.49 to $4.99 a minute for voice and data while on the ship. T-Mobil is the worst at $4.99. So wait until you are on shore to use it.

Google a website called cellular at sea and look for end users.
    07-22-07 09:29 AM
    Be very careful using a Blackberry on a cruise ship. My sister in law took hers on a cruise. She kept getting notifications of e-mails. She read a few. When she got home she had a $500 bill. Depending on your carrier you will pay from about $2.49 to $4.99 a minute for voice and data while on the ship. T-Mobil is the worst at $4.99. So wait until you are on shore to use it.

Google a website called cellular at sea and look for end users.
    Yeah... won't be using the phone that is for sure. My concern is the data. I will probably never know until I get back. Probably have a good argument to have them reverse the charges though.
    07-22-07 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD