Ok, here's a list of all the bugs and glitches I've found on the 8830 from Verizon. I love it how R&D didn't seem to find any of these prior to release. Idiots I say, idiots...

1) VZW Theme "Call Log Icons" are messed up. (Outgoing calls have a red arrow... should really be green.) Also, when you miss a call or ignore a call it goes to an X, but if you call your voicemail right after that call the icon changes to an "accepted" call. Another nice one is when you flip between calls in call waiting it changes the call log icon to a "Conference Call" icon, even though you cannot conference call via Send on 2 calls in call waiting. You can only conference call if you're talking to one person and then specifically choose Conference from the phone menu and dial a second person and then Send key to bring the original over to the 3 way conference.)
    *Update* to #1 bug. This also happens for some of the ringtones on the phone. A user reported this happening with ringtones he himself installed. Seems that the phone does not properly refresh the Media Player pointer links unless you battery pull reset.

2) SanDisk 2GB cards... when you choose Format from the Media Card menu the phone reboots after 3 secs and corrupts the memory card.

3) You can go into the Application List and delete the stupid Blackberry Sample Video (which just takes up space), but when you go back to Media Player under Videos/Sample Videos it's still listed. The properties on it state that it's 0.0MB (obviously it's deleted), but it's funny how the pointer/link for the video is still there. Anoying!!! (A quick reboot (Alt/Cap/Del) does not clear up this pointer. I got currious while writing this and pulled the battery to see if that made a difference and now the pointer is no longer there, so that's nice, but it's still a bug in my book.) I love finding these little glitches, maybe RIM/VZW can pay me for my work. :P

4) When the battery is low and you plug the phone in to the charger the battery low indicator (beep sound) still goes off, which you can hear if you're on the phone and everyone can hear if you're on speakerphone with someone. Yey!!!

5) Ringer volume not loud enough.

6) Calendar Sync Issues. (Cannot modify existing appointment/creates a new appointment instead of editing existing.)

7) Internet Browser blows at rendering pages and download limits are imposed by RIM proxy servers.

8) Bluetooth stereo headphones don't work. The phone currently does not support "stereo bluetooth" profile.

9) Chrome flakes off the back logo on the battery cover.

10) Call quality for other party sucks. The phone picks up too much background noise and the other person can't hear you speak.

I'm sure I'll find more....
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 07-19-07 at 08:59 AM.
    06-24-07 12:14 AM
    My big bug is the duplicate calendar entries. When you add a calendar entry and then change something about it (change a meeting from 8 am to 8:30am), it creates a duplicate entry rather than move the original one. Drives me crazy as I then manually have to delete the original one (which I can't always remember to do and I get all confused as to which meeting is the real one!). I HOPE RIM is reading this! Katherine
    06-24-07 12:52 AM
    My big bug is the duplicate calendar entries. When you add a calendar entry and then change something about it (change a meeting from 8 am to 8:30am), it creates a duplicate entry rather than move the original one. Drives me crazy as I then manually have to delete the original one (which I can't always remember to do and I get all confused as to which meeting is the real one!). I HOPE RIM is reading this! Katherine
    I called Verizon Customer non-support yesterday to check on my service ticket of May 18th on this sync issue. The CNS representative said it was a known problem and they had no solution. I attempted to speak to a supervisor, but all of them were conveniently in a meeting.

When I insisted, the CNS representative said she thought she saw a supervisor coming down the hall. I was put on hold again (for about the 4th time) for about 15 minutes. The CNS rep, instead of letting me talk to the supervisor said there was nothing more they could do and that I should just return the phone to the store and go with another carrier.

I also sent tech support email to RIM about the sync issue. I received the usual we have received your issue and are working on it. Then I received email that said the ticket would be closed in two days unless I sent them email to keep it open. I sent the email, the next day I received a message from RIM that since I was a Verizon customer I needed to deal with them about this issue.

Apparently, both RIM and Verizon are running and HIDING from the sync issue. A month is entirely TOO long for a major bug like this to continue!
    06-24-07 06:59 AM
    I'm not sure if its me or not, but I never get my set alarms for the calender, even if the volume is set to high in the profile settings and vibrate and tone are on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-07 08:19 AM
    This is bullcrap. I'm almost up on my 30 day and wondering if I should just return my 8830. Only major problem is that I REALLY do need a BB and absolutely hate any BB without a pearl trackball in it. I don't currently use the calendar so that's really not a big issue for me, but I do want it fixed. I don't understand why this phone all of a sudden has issues. None of the ones in the past had these kinds of probs. ******** Verizon!!! BTW, switching carriers is not an option... I've always been with VZW and in 4 years didn't need a new phone until now. I almost wish I would have gone with an MS OS phone instead, but Verizon doesn't have any that are worth a crap. Palm, no thanks, Q, no thanks... what's left. If I had enough money I would buy out Verizon and SHUT IT DOWN just to prove my point!

Oh, and why is "f r e a k i n g" a swearword in the filter? That's just stupid!
    06-24-07 11:50 AM
    Hang on to the phones. I am hoping they will make a patch for this soon. The service is still best with VZW (trust me, I just sent back my awesome Curve after having horrible reception with ATT). Soooo, unless you don't use the phone a lot, it's worth dealing with the bugs. They all have some. My DH's treo freezes up about 10 times a day! The Q is notoriously unreliable....

Sooooo, we are stuck. For now. Kath
    06-24-07 03:56 PM
    I'm not sure if its me or not, but I never get my set alarms for the calender, even if the volume is set to high in the profile settings and vibrate and tone are on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Have you added any email accounts using Blackberry Internet Service?

If so, go into your service books and delete any calendar service books [CICAL] associated with these BIS email accounts. Do not delete Desktop[CICAL] or you will delete all of your calendar entries. Then pull the battery and let the unit reboot. This should fix your calendar alert notifications.

My 8830 experience has been great. I hope you folks get your issues worked out.
    Last edited by sdcromer; 06-24-07 at 09:43 PM.
    06-24-07 09:31 PM
    After, many hours logged this weekend on threads and on the phone (and in the store) with Verizon I found there is NO support for Mac on the new Blackberry 8830, nor is there any to look forward to in the near future. Currently, there seems to be no way to connect your mac with the media section of the phone so don't think you'll be getting any tunes of pics on there soon.

It's too bad, because the phone is really cool but with the whole quiet ringer issue and lack of mac support, it looks like you shoudn't get one unless you are a PC user.

If I'm wrong, about this, please tell me cause at this point I'm desperate to figure it out or I'm just gonna take it back...
    Thanks!
    06-25-07 06:56 PM
    ^^^ He don't know what he's doing. Return your BB and return your Mac too. :P
    06-25-07 10:20 PM
    For the Mac users; there is official Mac support. RIM ships PocketMac with every BB, and it works just fine but doesnt transfer or sync media. If you want to transfer media, use MissingSync instead, which also works fine and is preferred by some due to that integration. What you choose to use is up to you. MissingSync is not "officially" supported though, so you'll hear the whole "if we trash your info its not our fault" from their installer, but that's about it.
    06-26-07 02:33 PM
    I just activated my BB8830 today and it has already shut off completely on me twice and rebooted once all on its own? Has anyone else experienced this? Should I take it back and get a new one?
    06-27-07 12:23 AM
    Probably a bad BB. Swap it out. Mine doesn't do this.
    06-27-07 09:30 AM
    Oh, and why is "f r e a k i n g" a swearword in the filter? That's just stupid!
    So you don't like the filters? Deal with it. They are in there for a reason.
    06-27-07 09:55 AM
    So you don't like the filters? Deal with it. They are in there for a reason.
    Well, thanks for paying an "off subject" visit Mr. Moderator.

I'm just surprised that the filers are rated G.... if even that. That word is not a swear... I just felt that the filters were a little overly agressive, but whatever.
    06-27-07 06:33 PM
    Hang on to the phones. I am hoping they will make a patch for this soon. The service is still best with VZW (trust me, I just sent back my awesome Curve after having horrible reception with ATT). Soooo, unless you don't use the phone a lot, it's worth dealing with the bugs. They all have some. My DH's treo freezes up about 10 times a day! The Q is notoriously unreliable....

I will agree with you on the AT&T comment. Between the bad reception and the ridiculous radio interfering with every damn piece of electronics I refuse to use them.

The company I work for develops mobile software. As a result, I get a lot of toys from the hardware manufacturers. I have used just about every BB and WM device on the market. RIM finally got the form factor right with this device, but that is about all (for now). Obviously software updates will come that will make usability/functionality much better.

I have to disagree with you about the Q. The latest OS update makes it the best mobile device I own. It's PIM functionality isn't as great as the BB, but it makes up for it with its multimedia capabilities and audio quality. I love being able to watch TV and listen to Sirius while travelling. I also use it at the gym on a regular basis. As for reliability, no issues whatsover. I can also hear it ring which is a very nice plus. As a side bonus, when you have a WM based device with VZW you can also get 2000 free text messages a month.

I really want to like the 8830, and believe it will be a great device. For my lifestyle it isn't quite ready yet.
    06-27-07 11:29 PM

Was your reception horrible all over or just where your primary use was ? With AT&T I mean ........
    06-28-07 07:05 AM
    After, many hours logged this weekend on threads and on the phone (and in the store) with Verizon I found there is NO support for Mac on the new Blackberry 8830, nor is there any to look forward to in the near future. Currently, there seems to be no way to connect your mac with the media section of the phone so don't think you'll be getting any tunes of pics on there soon.

It's too bad, because the phone is really cool but with the whole quiet ringer issue and lack of mac support, it looks like you shoudn't get one unless you are a PC user.

If I'm wrong, about this, please tell me cause at this point I'm desperate to figure it out or I'm just gonna take it back...
    Thanks!
    In my research of which BB to get I did come across articles over in the Apple forums for the BB's before you throw in the towel and return you may want to do some more searching around. I am a MBP owner as of last November and have not looked back yet
    06-28-07 07:08 AM
    Here is one for you guys..

I have had this problem like 3 times so far, and I have had the 8830 for 1 month.

When I am talking and get a call on the second line, sometimes after I switch to the second call the first call gets dropped and then the phone is stuck thinking it is still connected to the first caller.

Every time I try to make a call, the only option is to conference the person, but it won't even do that.

The only way to get it "Un-Confused" is to pull the battery.

Anyone else see this..

Thanks
    06-28-07 07:06 PM
    Jarhead:

My reception was terrible just about everywhere. At home, on the way from home to work, on the freeway (major freeway connecting LA and San Diego!), at work parking lot, etc etc. I was dropping calls multiple times a day. And my friends said it sounded like the "ocean" was in the background (which it is sometimes when I take the lovely Pacific Coast to avoid traffic, but I have not done that in months).

I have had VZW for years, rolled over from the old MCI. I never had any complaints about my reception till I switched to ATT. So now I am back on VZW with my 8830. Happier for sure! Call quality is crystal clear and no dropped calls again. But the 8830 pales in comparison to the 8300 in my opinion.

Thank goodness for the 30 day trials. I was able to determine that I need to stick to VZW no matter how badly I want the Curve. Oh, and I have to say, the folks at the ATT/Cingular store give HORRIBLE customer service compared to the VZW guys. Not that I don't stand in line and wait at Verizon. I just waited about 5 times longer at ATT every time I went in (about 4 times last month).

Katherine
    06-29-07 01:18 AM
    I'm also exeriencing Strange Behavior. When someone beeps in, the phone thinks its in a conference call. I can't make or receive any calls until I go through the process of pulling the battery. What a PIA! I took the phone back to the store and they swapped it out for me. If this one does it, I'll be looking for a different phone. I NEED TO MAKE AND RECEIVE CALLS WHEN NECESSARY! I CAN'T BE BLOCKED FROM DOING THIS IN MY LINE OF WORK!
    07-01-07 09:03 AM
    I am having email problems with one of my email accounts. It worked well 2 days ago but now is dead. I can use gmail and the BIS account, but the other is my main email. I have erased it and reset it twice. Verizon had no idea why this was happening.
    07-01-07 09:47 AM
    I am having email problems with one of my email accounts. It worked well 2 days ago but now is dead. I can use gmail and the BIS account, but the other is my main email. I have erased it and reset it twice. Verizon had no idea why this was happening.
    How about giving us some details about that account? Domain, server setup, etc.
    07-01-07 11:18 AM
    I HAVE THEY PHONE CONFRENCE ISSUE ALSO

FIX:

Go to connections, when you turn off the Radio it will complete the call if you are stuck on connecting to an outgoing, if you then "turn it on" it will turn it off just play with it secral times it will fix itsself
    07-01-07 06:08 PM
    My "official" 30 days with the new device was this past Saturday, the 30th of June. I bought the first 8830 on May 30th, and pretty much immediately knew there was something wrong. First, the sales associate placed the SIM card in the Media Slot...duh! I had to stop into another Verizon store so that they could replace the card, and while I was there bought the 2 gig SanDisk media card.
    The greeter/manager installed it ( I could have done it myself, but figured he had just better do it.) Turns out, he had no clue, and when he went behind the main sales floor wall and took an hour, it wasn't a good sign.
    I have formatted the card, just as it asks, and once completed, I am back to square one. ... let alone every time I disconnect the phone from recharging, it gives me the message that it was disconnected improperly from my computer. What the * ?

The higher level tech support with Verizon connected me directly to Blackberry, and supposedly they had never heard of this issue. The tech also agreed with me that Verizon should give me a NEW phone again. That first phone had been totally corrupted after all those mistakes.

Now back to the Verizon tech guy who actually did call me back about 5 times today - I told him that I want a NEW phone. It's only fair, considering their outrageous monthly broadband connection ( I live in an area that the connection is barely equal to dialup). He called the store nearest to me - 25 min away, and they do not want to give me a new phone. They would be more than happy to send one to me - refurbished. I will not settle for this.
    There are a few other stores, the next one being 45 min from here.

How many users would grab their attention if they went into the store, signed up for new service, and then took their new phones back the next day for full refunds?
    07-02-07 09:23 PM
    I've seen many posts complaining that the ringer volume is inadequate. I certainly echo that sentiment (tho far too softly to be heard-- much like my 8830). I'm posting this complaint since I am hopeful that RIM is lurking to get market feedback and I encourage others to reply and shout-- "Yeah, me too!" I'm posting in the hopes that RIM will see that this is a big problem that needs a fix. I am encouraged and hopeful by the fact that the speaker IS CAPABLE of a loud volume. In speakerphone and other modes it works beautifully. It's only when calls are ringing in that the whole thing goes south.

So lets get this patch on the next release~!! I WANT TO HEAR MY PHONE WHEN IT RINGS!!!!
    07-08-07 03:31 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD