I bought a barely used BB 8830 for Verizon. I checked the ESN before purchasing to make sure that it was clear, which it was. today when trying to activate the phone, i can get data, but Verizon can't get the voice side to activate. when trying *228, the BB says "activation unsuccessful." If I try doing a test call or receiving a test call, it will connect and then immediately disconnect. Verizon said to check with the previous owner to see if the BB was on an enterprise account and to make sure that it is removed. I don't know if that will work, but I'm started to get worried. The BB is only a couple of weeks old, should I just try to take it in and get a replacement? help...anyone?
    01-23-08 10:15 AM
    Read my suggestion in your "other" thread.
    01-23-08 10:36 AM
    thanks SK1, unfortunately I cannot find a "general settings" under the options.
    I should also mention that while on the phone with Verizon, we performed a wipe on it. We also tried reinstalling the BB software on the device itself, but I don't think it reinstalled. I'm really starting to worry that I made a bad purchase.....I hope I can find a way to activate this thing. Do you think that if I take it into a store, they would exchange it (at this point I'll take a refurb).
    01-23-08 10:55 AM
    It's under Options-Security-General Setting. It's worth a try to see if they'll exchange it for a refurb or charge you $50 for a refurb. Worse thing they can say is no.
    01-23-08 11:20 AM
    take it in, your under the 30 days you will change it out for a new one...

Seems odd, very odd
    01-23-08 11:35 AM
    well I've successfully reloaded the software. I will try giving Verizon a call again and see what happens. if it still doesn't work, I guess I will try taking it to a store and see what happens there.
    01-23-08 11:49 AM
    well I'm stumped....Verizon's stumped....the original owner is stumped. I tried reloading the software on the BB and still the same thing. I get data, but when making or receiving calls, they connect then immediately disconnect. But (and god I'm hoping he follows through with it), the original owner said he would refund my money.....lesson learned I guess. If anyone still has any ideas though as to why this thing is doing what its or doing and how it can be solved, please let me know.
    01-23-08 01:25 PM
    I'm experiencing the same problem although here's the twist:

My 8830 has been provisioned with Sprint and was working perfectly fine. Two days ago, I went to make a call and it suddenly disconnected. I did a battery and sim card pull and the same thing happened. Try to make a call, one ring and it disconnects.

Incoming calls are having the same issue. The moment I hit the answer button, it disconnects the call.

Sprint tech support had me do a wipe and reinstall to no avail. They are perplexed and have me set up for a device swap.
    01-31-08 09:34 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Data is fine, txt msg are sent fine, but all calls incoming/outgoing are dropped immediately. The guy who sold me the phone won't return my calls or emails. I think he knew the phone was bricked.
    02-01-08 12:43 AM
    You didn't buy it from someone in the Chicago area did you? I noticed that when i returned mine to the guy I bought it from, he immediately re-posted it on craigslist. It wouldn't have mattered that the 8830 I had didn't have a sim card would it? I would think not since I'm only trying to use it on Verizon's CDMA network. But no matter, I got my money back and will wait until my contract is up and get something then.

I'm having the same problem. Data is fine, txt msg are sent fine, but all calls incoming/outgoing are dropped immediately. The guy who sold me the phone won't return my calls or emails. I think he knew the phone was bricked.
    02-01-08 06:25 AM
    You didn't buy it from someone in the Chicago area did you? I noticed that when i returned mine to the guy I bought it from, he immediately re-posted it on craigslist. It wouldn't have mattered that the 8830 I had didn't have a sim card would it? I would think not since I'm only trying to use it on Verizon's CDMA network. But no matter, I got my money back and will wait until my contract is up and get something then.
    I did buy it from a guy off Craigslist - the name on his email was Mike Weaver, and his cell # is 630 885-2909. He won't return any calls or emails.
    As far as the SIM, no, you don't need one. I don't think it would make a difference with the phone, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
    02-01-08 09:18 AM
    huh, oh. well not the same name and phone # as the guy I dealt with. was he from Naperville? younger guy (early 20's)? There was another seller in the 'burbs selling an 8830, but when I called in the ESN (before buying) to verify it, turns out it was on the stolen or lost list. sorry to hear about that. I've pretty much decided to just buy new from here on out.
    02-01-08 10:16 AM
    huh, oh. well not the same name and phone # as the guy I dealt with. was he from Naperville? younger guy (early 20's)? There was another seller in the 'burbs selling an 8830, but when I called in the ESN (before buying) to verify it, turns out it was on the stolen or lost list. sorry to hear about that. I've pretty much decided to just buy new from here on out.
    That is too funny - yes, the guy I met with was from Naperville, and I should have known something was up when he wouldn't meet me at his home... he acted fishy. He drives a black Audi, early 20's, and has dark hair. I think he's just a career scammer, what a *********.
    02-01-08 01:28 PM
    OH CRAP!!! thats him!!! early 20's, black Audi, dark hair. OMG this is messed up. When I was corresponding with him, I would meet him at the local Starbucks on 75th St. in Naperville. I'm gonna PM you the info I have on him (the name he used with me and the other phone #). I'm really sorry this happened. But its funny that he gave me my money back, but hasn't gotten back to you. when was the last time you heard from him?
    02-01-08 01:45 PM
    OH CRAP!!! thats him!!! early 20's, black Audi, dark hair. OMG this is messed up. When I was corresponding with him, I would meet him at the local Starbucks on 75th St. in Naperville. I'm gonna PM you the info I have on him (the name he used with me and the other phone #). I'm really sorry this happened. But its funny that he gave me my money back, but hasn't gotten back to you. when was the last time you heard from him?
    That is hilarious!
    The last time I heard from him was the other day when he gave me the phone. I met him at Oakbrook Mall. At first he wanted to meet at the Rock Bottom Brewery off Winfield Road.
    He's ignored 3vm's and 3 or 4 emails since. What an act this guy put on! His life must really suck to put that much effort into lying and cheating.
    02-01-08 02:04 PM
    Turn his *** into the cops! Sales like this probably financed his Audi.
    02-01-08 08:50 PM
    Turn his *** into the cops! Sales like this probably financed his Audi.
    I was going to, but wrxjeremy helped me find his real info - I got hold of his real number and called him and he was totally caught off guard. He returned my money via paypal!
    Now I'm shopping on this site for a good sim card and case, rather than chasing this dude for my cash. I bought another 8830 from a real retailer and I'll have it by Wednesday at the latest, can't wait.
    02-01-08 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD