I just got a letter in the mail today from Verizon telling me that there is an update available. I will quote a paragraph from them:

"The software upgrade is FREE. Visit vzam.net/blackberry and follow the simple steps to download performance enhancing features, like:

- Imporoved global roaming
    - Stereo Bluetooth headset capability
    - Increased ringer volume
    - And much more"

I am in the process of downloading the software update on my computer (88MB file). I will continue and report back.

I dont know if Im late in getting this software update or new, but Im currently running v4.2.2.148. I am currently using my Motorola S9 bluethooth stereo headset with no problems. The only thing that will improve for me is the louder ringtone. They also talk about the ability to use the VZ Navigator, but Im not getting that. Anyone else have any info?
    12-12-07 03:37 PM
    That is the .176 "upgrade".
    You will probably not notice any difference, in anything.
    Maybe the vz navigator will work but it will cost you more /mo if you use it.
    12-12-07 03:43 PM
    Is it even worth the upgrade? Did they really adjust the ringer issue?
    12-12-07 03:48 PM
    My answer would be no, but that's just my 2 cents. . . .
    12-12-07 05:08 PM
    My answer would be no, but that's just my 2 cents. . . .
    I agree with Mxkied2. The software upgrade did nothing to the ringer. If you have no plans on using VZ Navigator, don't waste your time.
    12-12-07 05:28 PM
    I agree with Mxkied2. The software upgrade did nothing to the ringer. If you have no plans on using VZ Navigator, don't waste your time.
    Now that I have gone through the stupid process, I wish I would have just waited to read your responses. It took forever and it did nothing other than disable my email accounts. Went onto the BIS site and sent the service books to reactivate my accounts. Thanks for everyones input. I wonder why I was so late in getting the notice for the .176 update?
    12-12-07 06:11 PM
    I can't say for the rest of you but the .176 update for me helped with performance. Currently with Bell, prior from updating to the .176, I couldn't read .txt files, and menu's/navigation was laggy (battery pulls didn't do much). After the update, I was able to read .txt files and I'm lag free and the OS "upgrade" became a little user friendly as it asks you things when things change (minor but still it's an upgrade for new BlackBerry users). But like others said above, if you're fine with your BlackBerry as it is, then the update isn't really necessary, but if you have problems like I did, maybe the small update will cure those problems.
    12-12-07 09:03 PM
    Verizon only sent out the .176 notice because of VZN. If you can not run VZN they can not get more money from you. They are only going to waste there time if they can make more money. . . not to just resolve a quiet ring tone issue.
    12-13-07 11:37 AM
    I downloaded it yesterday and wasted 1 hour of my time and it did nothing to the ringer volume.....

Don't waste your time.....
    12-13-07 08:21 PM
    I also recieved a letter from verizon, but mine lists html emails, open & edit word files, and free busy calendar lookup... This seems to be referring to OS 4.5. The interesting thing here is that 4.5 was posted on the vzw website last night (10/31), but has since been pulled (no explanation). im waiting to here back from verizon, i sent an email this morning

Update: just got off the phone with verizon, no word on why OS 4.5 was pulled, but the letter was in fact referring to OS 4.5. They told me that the letter was sent out before the update was available and we should be recieving another letter or txt about the upgrade when it is.
    Last edited by LeGeNdBB; 11-01-08 at 08:18 PM.
    11-01-08 07:49 PM
    Hi all
    So forgive me but I have yet to have a problem with any of my ringtones being quiet, my 8830 screams louder then any other phone I've had. I don't know why. Any way about this update truly a waste of time? What about the dask top manager I'm still running 4.2 should I update that?
    11-01-08 09:00 PM
    You should update your Desktop Manager to at least 4.5. The Desktop Manager version does not have to match the OS version. I'm using Desktop Manager 4.5 with my 8830 running OS V4.2.2.196.
    11-01-08 09:44 PM
    Hey fellow berry users...... I spent a hour and a half on the phone with Verizon Tech support in reference to the new "4.3" 10/31/2008 update. First the Tech at Verizon was lost and had little to no idea about the new update. If you go to the VZW BB update site and click on the more information link, a PDF file opens w/a welcoming page of how RIM released 4.5 OS for the 8130. After the VZW tech read over this and tried the update with it not working, he placed me on hold and connected me directly to BB RIM Tech Support. After tring the update RIM said VZW messed the update by not correctly naming the file and they would have to fix this for it to work. After this I was reconnected to another VZW Tech which then told me that as of 1pm EST the update was going to be pulled and reworked. He said VZW Tech team is working on the fix and hope to have it fixed ASAP. If anyone has any other luck with the new patch please let me know!!!! Hope this helps..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    11-01-08 10:08 PM
    forgive me but what is my OS?
    11-02-08 02:28 PM
    Options / About. 3rd line. If you're running the latest official 8830 OS, it will read v4.2.2.196.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 02:37 PM
    forgive me but what is my OS?
    You might have figured out by now that OS means, "Operating System." The Blackberry needs one just as a computer does!
    11-06-08 09:55 AM
    what is the latest os for 8830we. I just downloaded 4.6 from bb and was wondering if i should update to it. current os is 4.2.2.196
    11-08-08 09:33 PM
    4.2.2.196 is the latest official OS for the 8830. The 4.6 that you downloaded from BlackBerry is the latest version of Desktop Manager. You can install it; I'm using it and it works fine with an 8830 running 4.2.2.196.
    11-08-08 09:36 PM
    I'm new at this i just got my bb yesterday. I tried the volume hack, which worked once and hasn't worked since. I have increased the vol for my ring tones in a separate program to make them audible.
    so i want to run the desktop manager and not the device manager?
    11-08-08 09:51 PM
    Yes, you want to run Desktop Manager. It will call the device manager when it needs it. You'll see the device manager icon in your system tray when you're running Desktop Manager. You don't normally need to run the device manager manually.

The volume hack that is described in the sticky at the top of the forum only works for OS 4.5, which hasn't been officially released for the 8830 yet.
    11-08-08 09:55 PM
    no it really worked on my phone. I did it a few hours after i got my phone. I thought my speakers were going to blow. It only worked once though
    11-08-08 10:00 PM
    Tell me again how your speakers are going to blow? You do realize that the max volume on the hack is no louder then max volume in Media Player... right?
    11-08-08 11:19 PM
    i also did the vol increase on 3rd party program on the mp3 file
    11-08-08 11:29 PM
    I had a few errors pop up when installing 4.6 is that normal?
    11-08-08 11:29 PM
    I had a few errors pop up when installing 4.6 is that normal?
    No. Why would it be?
    11-08-08 11:32 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD