So I've just entered the world of Blackberry. Been reading a bit but still have some questions. I can't get Pandora to install on my BB. Need OS 4.5. Not available for download thru Verizon. The OS 4.5 I've seen on here for download, is that a beta or true release? Will it cause any problems? Should I wait for Verizon or is it a pretty safe upgrade? Thanks for all of you who lead the forums and keep people like me up to date!
    04-05-09 12:10 PM
    I think it's beta... It hasn't caused me any problems if anything I think it took care of other problems my phone was experiencing like freezing and not being able to play any youtube videos a major plus for me was well the internet loads up a lot faster. Good luck.
    04-05-09 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the input!!
    04-05-09 12:41 PM
    I am in the same spot where do i find the new os and how can i get it on my 8830?
    04-05-09 12:56 PM
    4.5 is an official release... just not for vzw. if you use it you will need to delete the vendor xml file. read the threads stickied in the 8830 we forum to upgrade correctly and not brick your phone.
    04-05-09 04:51 PM
    So as long as I have backed up my BB with Desktop manager, I can restore if I brick it? Or is it not that simple? Thanks for the replies....
    04-05-09 05:28 PM
    Yes if you make a backup before you start the OS upgrade you will have something to fall back on.
    04-05-09 05:51 PM
    to add to what rlp32 said, i dont know if it is just restoring a back up that unbricks the phone. chck out the crackberry 101 for more info.
    04-05-09 07:14 PM
    Restoring a back up does nothing more than put your personal settings/info back on the device. Recovering a nuked device is actually installing the OS back on a device thats stuck in a reboot loop or stuck with an error message.
    04-05-09 07:26 PM
    Running 4.5.0.135 ona VZW 8830 with no issues. It's been oit for awhile. Many new feature you will enjoy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 07:29 PM
    Restoring a back up does nothing more than put your personal settings/info back on the device. Recovering a nuked device is actually installing the OS back on a device thats stuck in a reboot loop or stuck with an error message.
    okay, thats what i was thinking. thanks man!
    04-05-09 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD