Hi, I'm new here, and I just got my 8830.

Maybe someone can give me some helpful info.

My carrier is Bell Canada. The store said it was "unlocked". I will need to use it in France to 1)call back to canada
    2)call my husband who also got the same blackberry and will be in France with me.

3) call local #s in france.

I have no interest in e-mail etc I only will use the phone part. I know it's $1.99/minute but the question is how do I call other numbers in france?
    do I have to use a country code.

Second question is will it automaticaly put in the ++ to cal back to canada becuase it's a "smartphone"?

Also how can I be sure it's unlocked, is there any way to check?

thank you for your help it is most appreciated.
    05-26-08 07:25 PM
    I dont know how much time you have before you leave or how long you will be there but when I was in London I bought an english sim card and it was much cheaper than paying 1.99/min. You have a local number so you dont need a country code for France and to call Canada you would need + and then their code. This is the site I bought mine and I think they have other countries as well. It was at telestial.com
    06-01-08 02:40 PM
    ya definitely just buy a sim card from the country you are going to be in....a lot cheaper. there then should be good rates for calls inside france and then you can get a calling card to make the international calls.
    06-02-08 08:10 AM
    yeah buy a local sim card, that works great
    the phone kept putting 1's in front of any numbers that i had programmed in, thats a little annoying when travelling
    other than that my curve worked great overseas (dont forget to change the timezone in date/time settings when you get where you are going!)
    good luck
    06-02-08 08:25 AM
    You have to buy a sim card in France and you will be ok.
    06-02-08 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD