has anyone done this? What company did you use?

I tried a SIM Card from Claro on my last trip but my shameful grasp of the language and the agent not speaking English didn't help the situation - but at least it made for a very entertaining situation :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Off to study my spanish!
    10-17-07 09:47 AM
    I'm assuming that you have unlocked your BB ... you can purchase a prepaid SIM card through various companies online and it should be able to work all over the world ... I would be sure to google several companies and check their respective rates before I bought any though ...
    10-17-07 10:48 AM
    yeah I got it unlocked, certain companies use different networks so I need to be sure the one I choose will work with my BB in Nicaragua.

Havent had luck searching the net for a SIM Card that says it works in Nicaragua.
    10-17-07 11:57 AM
    Doing a google search, it seems that Nicaragua operates on the same GSM frequencies that the US uses:

Empresa Nicaraguense de Telecomunicaciones S.A. - ENITEL (CLARO NIC) GSM 1900

Empresa Nicaraguense de Telecomunicaciones S.A. - ENITEL (CLARO) 3G 850

Telefonia Celular de Nicaragua S.A. (movistarNI) GSM 850

The BlackBerry 8830 only operates in GSM frequencies 900/1800 Mhz band.

You can pop in all the different SIM cards from Nicaragua all you want but your phone will not work. Sorry.
    10-17-07 01:51 PM
    I tried Claro card as well. So, leave blackberry at home and take old cheap cell phone to Nicaragua?
    12-13-07 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD