I have setup my BB up on my laptop as a modem and my carrier is Bell Canada, question is I was reading the FAQ on setting up BB for a modem and I would like to know if the thread is any use to me?
    My plan right now is only for up to 8MB of usage but can upgrade if I want. I won't be using it as a modem very much if at all but would like to try it out and see just how well it works.
    07-09-08 09:45 PM
    I use Alltel here in the states and use my BB WE routinely as a modem for my laptop. I can tell you right now you could burn up 8mb in a matter of minutes to hours using it as a teathered modem. I (like I think most anyone here on this site) would suggest you get an unlimited data plan if you are going to be using it with your laptop.
    07-09-08 10:41 PM
    You're going to get raped with an 8MB/month plan. I'd upgrade... quick... before you get hit with a $30,000 data bill.
    07-09-08 11:42 PM
    One reason why I probably won't use it as a modem. Up north here with Bell the largest plan I can get is 1GB. Bell use to offer unlimited but that is gone now, sure wish it would come back.
    07-10-08 02:30 AM
    Does phone as modem work very well? Just wondering....
    07-10-08 04:39 AM
    I've posted before on this subject, if your cell service allows tethering as part of your data plan that's cool. If not I suggest you invest in mobishark, down side of tethering: do not expect to fly at high speed, the best connection I've gotten with my tethered modem is 240 k, my BB connects 1.5 MB, it does not ctach that speed. It's good in situation no wi-fi available, just go in understanding it isn't what you may expect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 05:06 AM
    You can use your 8830 as a modem but you would be charges on a pay-per-use basis. Bell's BIS plan doesn't not include tethering, there is separate plan for using your phone as tethering device.

You should call Bell and inquire if you plan to tether a lot with your BlackBerry. It will be costly but I would consider what philb said. Use Mobishark as that will allow you to use your BIS plan to tether. But if you plan to do that, I would call up Bell and change your 8MB to unlimited for $30.
    07-10-08 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD